Boat Rentals | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Boat Rentals

You're looking at 1200l tank on a 40' boat - so range anxiety will not be a thing on the Trent.

The tank on their current boat is >1000L, I'm pretty sure the 40'er is north of 1500L.

However, at 100+L/hour per engine while covering lengths of some of the lakes while on plane, and probably 20L/hour per engine even at low speed cruise, that can go fast. But yeah, it would still do a 3-4 day Bobcaygeon, Fenelon Falls, Kirkfield, home trip without needing fuel.

When in your home harbor, call a fuel guy - mobile filling trucks work small marinas (the ones that server farms), and they are much cheaper than marina gas.

Their current marina has a blanket no fueling on the dock policy, jerry cans or otherwise. Presumably so they can sell their own gas there. May also be insurance related. The advantage of a diesel would be that they couldn't stand on that when there is no other alternatively. Alternately, sail over to the public boat launch and tie up there and have the fuel truck meet there.

They typically fill the boat in the spring at the reserve - the trailer guy charges 1 hour minimum for a trailering job that takes 10 minutes, so they started including a trip to the reserves pumps as part of the spring routine now.

I’ve seen fuel trucks come to locks on the Trent

Price???

Like many things boat, if you have to ask.

1728434692451.png

Anyhow, considering most marinas are charging $2/L or more right now, when you're buying 1000+L sometimes on a big boat, it is a good question, but for some boats on the Trent, it may be a matter of necessity vs convenience in some cases, especially the diesel burners - diesel is not widespread on the Trent.

Like many things boat, if you have to ask.

View attachment 70248

Anyhow, considering most marinas are charging $2/L or more right now, when you're buying 1000+L sometimes on a big boat, it is a good question, but for some boats on the Trent, it may be a matter of necessity vs convenience in some cases, especially the diesel burners - diesel is not widespread on the Trent.
Friends owned a diesel boat. Iirc, maybe a cruisers 55 fly. Nice boat. They sold it as they prefer express cruisers. When rafting with friends it looked like a mom with her puppies. The next summer injectors needed replaced. In that boat, engines were deep in the boat. Nice and quiet. No room to extract injectors without major surgery. Tens of thousands just to get access. I can't remember if they split the hull or disassembled and rebuilt the cabin. Ouch. Hard to save enough on fuel to come out ahead on that. Their next boat had pods. Cool but scary bills could happen at any time.

$2.40L on most marinas in the GTA . You actually need a special permit to fuel a boat so you can find some trucks that have it, some will risk it , some won’t do it.
The 454 we just finished overhauling drinks 30L an hour in a 26ft boat . I feel queezy doing the math on 2 engines in a 40ft gasser . I wouldn’t do it . My first call would be to Caterpiller or JohnDeere for a diesel Repower if you ever wanted leave Lake Ontario . There’s a reason so many big gas cruisers on on the Canadian market .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Yeah, plusses and negatives to both options. You have to run a LOT of hours (or miles in a road application ) to justify the extra cost and maintenance of a diesel nowadays. In their case, as tempting as running cheap(er) red dye diesel is, and the better fuel economy, its unlikely to make sense, agreed.

I have a friend who just bought a diesel pickup truck to use as a grocery getter most of the year and pull a trailer a few times a year. I know what is coming for him.

$2.40L on most marinas in the GTA . You actually need a special permit to fuel a boat so you can find some trucks that have it, some will risk it , some won’t do it.
The 454 we just finished overhauling drinks 30L an hour in a 26ft boat . I feel queezy doing the math on 2 engines in a 40ft gasser . I wouldn’t do it . My first call would be to Caterpiller or JohnDeere for a diesel Repower if you ever wanted leave Lake Ontario . There’s a reason so many big gas cruisers on on the Canadian market .

There's a boat in the Marina where my sister is currently moored with 80's carb'd 454's. Fuel burn is over 150L per hour per engine at WOT.

Even low speed cruise is 40L/hour per engine.

It doesn't leave the slip much needless to say.

It's one of the reasons I'm trying to steer them towards a more modern setup. The one we looked at in Toronto with the 2017 5.7 mag repower at least gets respectable fuel economy for it's size. Like, it's still going to be a pig of course, but not 300L/hour level of pig.

My current sailboat is diesel , my last sailboat was gas ( atomic4 ) and we repowered with a Yanmar diesel . With no DEF fluid ( which causes most modern diesel issues) I’d say a marine diesel sees no more expense to maintain that a gas engine, your filters are a bit more complicated and racor are pricey but that’s all your doing .

30l/hr is near perpetual machine efficiency for a 7.4l in a 26glass tub. My 32’ Aluminum hull 120l/hr at 38mph, neighbours glass Trojan32 was 120l/hr at his top speed of 28.

Typo on my part 30Gal not 30L , your right that would be running unicorn piss . Our mess is a 1996 454 carb'd 4barrel Holley, the fuel line should be a garden hose. Switching engines would have meant new tranmission , changing mounts , possibly a new prop . Its used for race committee work at a boat club , litterally goes 2 miles out , 2 miles back, 2-3 times a week . Fuel bill is over 1k a year. We had a spare 25HP honda we should have bolted on back.

My boat builder aquaintance in Mississauga has just launched a 54 and has another order for the next. Twin JohnDeere turbo diesels. very efficient , really quiet and the Americans love you can get parts and filters anywhere . Sadly they have been building boats for 60 years and are possibly winding down. Thier work is second to none , but selling 1.5m (US)picnic boats is a tough market .

The big boat dock in our local marina is a cottage dock , loaded with 50-60ft ers that launch , float, party , never leave the dock , At least the guy with the 60ft twin screw diesel goes to the thousand Islands every summer. Trent Port marina ( in Trenton) , nicest bathrooms in north amarice for a marina has the lowest priced marine deisel on Lake Ontario. If you fill there , most boats will make it around. Peterborough, Orillia, Lauderdale, Lock 39 , Severn , all have diesel pumps. Probably more but thats whats in our old log book.

The big boat dock in our local marina is a cottage dock , loaded with 50-60ft ers that launch , float, party , never leave the dock

Cheaper than an actual cottage. I’ve reminded family of this a few times - you could go out and buy a summer cottage for $1M, or spend $100-$200K on a 15-20 year old 40-50’er boat in good condition (boats that size are typically purchased by well to do people who could afford to maintain them) and use it as a cottage boat all summer for a few thousand dollars in slip fees in addition to put in and haul out.

There is an argument that the boat is a depreciating asset versus a cottage that may appreciate, however having $900,000 in the bank when it’s said and done quickly diffuses that argument.

that's 1,000 km ride for me ...
nope circa 4,000 km ride for me. if it is gallons.
I can see why foiling boats are a growing category. .carry on 🍿

It’s not for everyone. But for those who can afford it, it’s a fun hobby. And like has been mentioned above, a lot of people buy them and use them as cottages, only burning maybe a few hundred bucks a year in gas going out once or twice to a local sandbar or whatever, so not everyone needs a $250K boat when a $50K one will do. The boat just my sister and BIL will be looking to move on from when they get their new one will almost certainly end up as a “cottage” boat since it has one of the 2 engines dying. They may very well end up just giving it away for free. That’s a cheap weekend “cottage” for someone.

Typo on my part 30Gal not 30L , your right that would be running unicorn piss . Our mess is a 1996 454 carb'd 4barrel Holley, the fuel line should be a garden hose. Switching engines would have meant new tranmission , changing mounts , possibly a new prop . Its used for race committee work at a boat club , litterally goes 2 miles out , 2 miles back, 2-3 times a week . Fuel bill is over 1k a year. We had a spare 25HP honda we should have bolted on back.

My boat builder aquaintance in Mississauga has just launched a 54 and has another order for the next. Twin JohnDeere turbo diesels. very efficient , really quiet and the Americans love you can get parts and filters anywhere . Sadly they have been building boats for 60 years and are possibly winding down. Thier work is second to none , but selling 1.5m (US)picnic boats is a tough market .

The big boat dock in our local marina is a cottage dock , loaded with 50-60ft ers that launch , float, party , never leave the dock , At least the guy with the 60ft twin screw diesel goes to the thousand Islands every summer. Trent Port marina ( in Trenton) , nicest bathrooms in north amarice for a marina has the lowest priced marine deisel on Lake Ontario. If you fill there , most boats will make it around. Peterborough, Orillia, Lauderdale, Lock 39 , Severn , all have diesel pumps. Probably more but thats whats in our old log book.
Bruckmann builds beautiful boats. A buddy of mine runs a 29 twin 7.4l gas for charter fishing. His typical run is 3 miles out on 2, trolls at 2mpg on 1 for 4 hours, then 3 miles back on 2 = 90l of fuel.

A typical weekend at the narrows in Orillia on our 25 foot Chris, 5L I/O was arrive Friday night, chug over to the port Saturday and pick up and provisions needed. Chug over to Chief's and anchor for the night. Chug back to the marina Sunday afternoon. Drive home. We spent more on car gas.

Once or twice a year we actually went somewhere.

Want to burn gas? Have a bunch of teenagers and a ski boat.

A typical weekend at the narrows in Orillia on our 25 foot Chris, 5L I/O was arrive Friday night, chug over to the port Saturday and pick up and provisions needed. Chug over to Chief's and anchor for the night. Chug back to the marina Sunday afternoon. Drive home. We spent more on car gas.

Once or twice a year we actually went somewhere.

Want to burn gas? Have a bunch of teenagers and a ski boat.
When friends had their big boats in Orillia, their boat neighbour had a ~42' that they used to take at speed up to their property on Manitoulin. Cough. Something like 600 km round trip. His wife wasn't happy with that so they put that one on marine railway at the cottage on simcoe and bought a Cantius (46 I think) as it was more comfortable at speed. I shake my head. At that point I would just buy a beaver and fly. It's crazy when a plane is the cheaper option.

When friends had their big boats in Orillia, their boat neighbour had a ~42' that they used to take at speed up to their property on Manitoulin. Cough. Something like 600 km round trip. His wife wasn't happy with that so they put that one on marine railway at the cottage on simcoe and bought a Cantius (46 I think) as it was more comfortable at speed. I shake my head. At that point I would just buy a beaver and fly. It's crazy when a plane is the cheaper option.
Fuel consumption on a plane isn't bad for a vehicle going 120 MPH. Purchase price and maintenance are not as friendly.

The cost difference between a boat and a plane is due to a boat being fun while anchored at a beach, swimming, enjoying the waves, catching a nap, enjoying the scenery, having a brew if properly equipped. My gas cost for a weekend might be $20.

An airplane isn't fun if the engine isn't running. Airports and propeller specifications bore most people.

Unless you're hedgehopping, the 100+ MPH speed isn't an adrenaline rush. I prefer motorcycling.

If you have the coin, have both. There are lots of beater cars at cottage country airports, Fly over the traffic and use the beater for the last few miles. If weather socks you in you can still get home.

Amphibious float money will buy you a Porsche.

Fuel consumption on a plane isn't bad for a vehicle going 120 MPH. Purchase price and maintenance are not as friendly.

The cost difference between a boat and a plane is due to a boat being fun while anchored at a beach, swimming, enjoying the waves, catching a nap, enjoying the scenery, having a brew if properly equipped. My gas cost for a weekend might be $20.

An airplane isn't fun if the engine isn't running. Airports and propeller specifications bore most people.

Unless you're hedgehopping, the 100+ MPH speed isn't an adrenaline rush. I prefer motorcycling.

If you have the coin, have both. There are lots of beater cars at cottage country airports, Fly over the traffic and use the beater for the last few miles. If weather socks you in you can still get home.

Amphibious float money will buy you a Porsche.
A beaver would have been cheaper than the Cantius. If he was happy with a Cessna on straight floats, it would have been an order of magnitude cheaper on purchase and gas. A cessna on amphibs would still be 20% of the boat cost to buy and about an order of magnitude less on fuel. To be honest, I'm not really sure why they didn't just drive up. Many hours faster. Many thousands cheaper.

But how are you going to spend your millions if you have millions to spend?

If money was no object I’d have more toys than I’d have time to play with. Convenience, or what even makes sense wouldn’t factor into it at all.

I was speaking with my buddies about the 'free' boat that they got to use from their boss. I believe it's a 90s bowrider of some sort.

$250 to fill up at the marina, and all good for now.

Let's just say that they had a not so happy face when faced with the bill to winterize....IIRC last they told me it's about 2k (some minor maintenance, and wrapping the boat in prep for winter).

I didn't ask as I tried not to laugh.

Needless to say...our days of considering to buy a boat are effectively over once we tallied the 'how much for buying it? how much are we actually going to use it?' discussion was held.

Well that is part of the used boat purgatory...

Millions to blow on toys, no worries about operating costs, also means no need to shop used. Buying used to save some money, well then you are usually kicked out of that first group.

Back
Top Bottom