BMW owners movement! | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW owners movement!

I used to be part of the BMW movement years ago. I owned a 1991 BMW K1 bike and two BMW cars (1997 328i and 2000 540i) over the years, all equally and notoriously unreliable. Noticing that pattern, I got out of the BMW movement.

Now riding a blissfully reliable Honda, never looked back :)

I used to be part of the BMW movement years ago. I owned a 1991 BMW K1 bike and two BMW cars (1997 328i and 2000 540i) over the years, all equally and notoriously unreliable. Noticing that pattern, I got out of the BMW movement.

Now riding a blissfully reliable Honda, never looked back :)

Hondas are great machines, no question about that. I had 2 Honda's before moving on to my GS ('83 Goldwing, '02 CB919) No bike has felt as good as my GS feels, its a perfect fit for me, riding style as well as being able to load it up and go with ease. Would be great if more of the big Jap makers would get into the GS market and give BMW some competition. Yamaha is doing it, and its definitely peaked my interest and when I am looking to get a new bike, it will be one of the ones I test for sure.

hey...bikepics-1069130-800.jpg Newbie here. I luv ridin this thing!

and hey fearless; " equally and notoriously unreliable."

not here man, LA to TO and no issues!

Last edited:
Not I. I can't get over the turn signals.

F800R is calling my name .... I liked all those F800 series bikes. I wish they have kept the single sided swing arm, but I still like it. The engine is absolute beauty with a high ridebility factor, whether in city or on hwy. Great fuel mileage anf EFI which doesn't feel jerky in low RPMs. What more can I ask for? Can't wait to test ride one out this season.

F800R is calling my name .... I liked all those F800 series bikes. I wish they have kept the single sided swing arm, .

The R, is essentially a GS based on-road model, you can always spring for the ST, or find yourself a good used S model.

Hi Sunny! You know me fro mthe F800riders.org website!!! (F8th)
2008 F800St in blue

Not I. I can't get over the turn signals.

Funny enough, that's one of the things that sold me on the BMW. It just makes more sense, IMO. Left for left, right for right!

Plus...now I can finally reach.

I instruct for bmw Quebec and have a blast with there cars on the track, meanwhile I drive this
imgp3456.jpg

Shot at 2010-06-02

Last edited:
Funny enough, that's one of the things that sold me on the BMW. It just makes more sense, IMO. Left for left, right for right!

Plus...now I can finally reach.

+1 I love them. The other system seems wrong to me. I keep beeping the horn when I want to turn left.

+1 I love them. The other system seems wrong to me. I keep beeping the horn when I want to turn left.

I prefer them as well, seems to be make more sense. It was not a selling feature though, I would never buy a bike based on the turn signal layout, but deffinetely a preferred method. My dads Ultra Classic has the same as well, not sure if its like that on all Harley's though.

Sadly, all the new BM bikes are being converted to the Jap style turn signal style.

I prefer the BM style signals too!

The R, is essentially a GS based on-road model, you can always spring for the ST, or find yourself a good used S model.

ST is great, but it's predominently touring bike. I'd use it probably only 30% for touring (don't have time for more), the rest is fun around town or commute. From that point of view you can understand why I'd prefer R. Plus there's a few things they have fixed on the R vs. S, especially with EFI mapping, it reportedly also returns a little better fuel economy (already very good with ST and S). I like the single sided swing arm, but wouldn't trade it for the other positives of the R (I really need the "normal" switch arrangements; I'd get killed myself with the BMW setup .... :) )

ST is great, but it's predominently touring bike. I'd use it probably only 30% for touring (don't have time for more), the rest is fun around town or commute. From that point of view you can understand why I'd prefer R. Plus there's a few things they have fixed on the R vs. S, especially with EFI mapping, it reportedly also returns a little better fuel economy (already very good with ST and S). I like the single sided swing arm, but wouldn't trade it for the other positives of the R (I really need the "normal" switch arrangements; I'd get killed myself with the BMW setup .... :) )

The ST is simply an R with a few fairings, a higher windscreen (easily replaceable) and a single sided swingarm. Dynamics of the bikes are quite similar. I'm certain, the R uses the identical engine as the rest of the F series, except it has a freer flowing exhaust which adds 2hp, and the engine is tilted another 15degrees forward over the S/ST series. The first 3 gears are also shorter than the S/ST series so that it takes off quicker for around town booting around. As a result of the shorter gearing on the R, and the extra fairing and aerodynamics of the ST, the ST although being slightly heavier, provides better fuel mileage.

A great series of bikes with many happy owners as seen on the F800 forum, and glad you may choose one that suits you best.

Best wishes.

Dynamics of the bikes are quite similar.

I am not sure how close they are in dynamics (I've ridden only ST and that was a long time ago), but the fact is that the R has an alloy frame (opposed to GS's steel one which makes almost 40lbs of difference). I'd assume they use the same frame on ST ..... but then I didn't hear anything about ST's frame changing in the first place. So right now I am to believe that the R might be quite a noticeable difference and thus more suitable for my type of riding.

I agree with you that it's great line of bikes based around the 800cc parallel twin. I just wished that front forks would be adjustable. That to me sounds like the only miss.

The fuel mileage is kind of a wash (and according to the tests I have seen). That is comparing R with the factory screen (which apparently makes the aero and protection pretty good) with stock ST. R is about 20lbs lighter I believe, so this would help as well.

Last edited:
My dads Ultra Classic has the same as well, not sure if its like that on all Harley's though.

Yes. All models, right back to when they first came out with signal lights. I'm not sure about the V-Rods, though.

I am not sure how close they are in dynamics (I've ridden only ST and that was a long time ago), but the fact is that the R has an alloy frame (opposed to GS's steel one which makes almost 40lbs of difference). I'd assume they use the same frame on ST ..... but then I didn't hear anything about ST's frame changing in the first place. So right now I am to believe that the R might be quite a noticeable difference and thus more suitable for my type of riding.

I agree with you that it's great line of bikes based around the 800cc parallel twin. I just wished that front forks would be adjustable. That to me sounds like the only miss.

The fuel mileage is kind of a wash (and according to the tests I have seen). That is comparing R with the factory screen (which apparently makes the aero and protection pretty good) with stock ST. R is about 20lbs lighter I believe, so this would help as well.

The R is a sweet bike, but I love my S. I do have a few magazine articles on the R though. You can find them online at http://www.fastbikesmag.com/files/2011/01/FBK239.core_.pdf and http://bmwmcmag.com/shop/bmwmm9/

Agree with you here, no contest. The stock front end is softly sprung.

I did the full RaceTech treatment (stiffer straight rate springs and emulators) for under $500 and couldn't be happier. http://racetech.com/

If you want full adjustability for the front, Traxxion makes a set for the F800. http://www.traxxion.com/

Eyeballing a nice Ohlins for my rear :) and I'm all set.

Agree with you here, no contest. The stock front end is softly sprung.

I did the full RaceTech treatment (stiffer straight rate springs and emulators) for under $500 and couldn't be happier. http://racetech.com/

If you want full adjustability for the front, Traxxion makes a set for the F800. http://www.traxxion.com/

Eyeballing a nice Ohlins for my rear :) and I'm all set.

That's the way I'd be dealing with it as well. Or who knows, maybe by the time I am ready, they will provide adjustable forks.

Back
Top Bottom