Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 491 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Yeah, not sure who their target market is. If I'm blowing big bucks on an EV, it's going to say Porsche or Mercedes on it ... and I am not a fan of Cadillac's recent styling trends.
And this is slotted in well above them. This is RR/Maybach territory. Almost as funny as the Chrysler CEO calling Chrysler an aspirational brand. No they're not. Even if Cadillac made this a 150K stretch I think they would have had trouble finding buyers.

Last edited:
Had someone stop by the other day to purchase something from me. Had a brand new F150 tremor. Of course I had to compliment it. He said he had a Ford lightening E truck, and traded it in after only one month of ownership. Said he always pays cash for his vehicles. Probably at least a $20,000 mistake. Oops.

uh, no. Lucid is the one to watch.

Fair point, they've survived longer than many other EV startups and their performance is impressive.

Still ... having been involved in the automation project for a certain chassis component of that car ... I'm really interested in seeing the outcome of a real-world front-end crash first. Preferably someone else's.

On a completely unrelated topic, it's really interesting to see how structural adhesives compare to MIG welding.

Had someone stop by the other day to purchase something from me. Had a brand new F150 tremor. Of course I had to compliment it. He said he had a Ford lightening E truck, and traded it in after only one month of ownership. Said he always pays cash for his vehicles. Probably at least a $20,000 mistake. Oops.
Did he say why he traded in the F150 Lightning?

If I had no mortgage and too much money…Porsche EV all the way.

I'm rooting for Lucid too ... the fact that I bought their stock at $50 or so while it's now around $3 is mostly why ... like REALLY rooting for them!

The aerospace industry was a early adopter of that tech and they are still at it FWIW.

Yup and it's common in automotive where unibodies are aluminium (F150) or multi-material structures (Tesla 3, Y, among others) but in the application where Lucid used it, everyone else, and I mean EVERYone else, MIG welds. (Edit: The assembly cell that I saw pre-dated start-of-production by some time. If something changed between pre-production and real production, I wouldn't know.)

Did well in Euro NCAP:

Last edited:
Thoughts on government tariffs for Chinese EV imports?

Thoughts on government tariffs for Chinese EV imports?
While some tariff seems justified, 100% seems protectionist and solely intended to prevent cheap vehicles from entering NA. The only reason our average vehicle price is north of 50K is there aren't many available below that. There are a lot of china bikes for <5K that I would like. China EV's seem priced less than half of equivalent NA EV's. There will also be some form of retaliatory tariff that will hurt us.

I agree that some tariff is justified to offset China's poorer environmental and worker protection standards ... but those differences are smaller than they've been in the past (China is catching up on environmental and safety standards ... and on production costs). The North American backlash against EVs which is resulting in North American manufacturers falling behind is going to bite them in the long term.

I'd drive a BYD Seagull if it were available here.

I'm hoping Australia stays out of the tariff game and makes all vehicles that pass the rather stiff safety standards here available. Still a couple years out for us.
Dottor in law ordered and got quickly a new Tesla. Qantas pilots get some sort of a deal. :sneaky:

I suspect a strong crack down on two wheeled EV offerings given the growing number of fires.

On a completely unrelated topic, it's really interesting to see how structural adhesives compare to MIG welding.

Aston Martin has been gluing DBs together for years now.

I'm hoping Australia stays out of the tariff game and makes all vehicles that pass the rather stiff safety standards here available. Still a couple years out for us.
Dottor in law ordered and got quickly a new Tesla. Qantas pilots get some sort of a deal. :sneaky:

I suspect a strong crack down on two wheeled EV offerings given the growing number of fires.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Australia no longer has any domestic auto manufacturing. So nothing to protect.

Didn’t Australia have stupidly high tariffs on any incoming vehicles to protect their tiny auto motive industry?

Back
Top Bottom