Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 493 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Leaps and bounds...how will anyone spend $80k on current battery tech with this looming
Because it's not "looming". There are hundreds of press-releases of the new awesome thing that is about to make all current tech obsolete. One every few decades actually happens. In this case, they are saying that it will be in a vehicle within six years. Allow for schedule drift that always happens and realistically, the car you buy now will be close to end of life before this "looming" technology is even available. Add in that it will likely start in the uber-expensive vehicles and work it's way down, we are decades from being able to buy an 80K vehicle with it.

EDIT:
Toyota is probably the current champion for solid-state battery vaporware press releases. They have been making them for years and they are always coming soon but never actually physically exist. If you can't produce competitive vehicles (in certain market segments, obviously Toyota makes some good vehicles), just release lies to keep investors on the hook.

Seems like every week there's a new article about some company discovering a new battery tech, but the range of EVs has stayed the same since the Tesla Model S came out more than a decade ago.

I am convinced that the sole objective of all these press releases about hydrogen, solid-state batteries, "620 miles range and recharge in 5 minutes", all sorts of "articles" about some magical new advancement in internal combustion engines that renders EVs obsolete, etc are all some combination of random clickbait to get their creators (AI?) paid by youtube, and propaganda by the fossil fuel industry and others that benefit from the status quo or are threatened by change in any way.

If there's something on the market that satisfies your needs now, buy it now, don't use these articles as an excuse to remain status-quo, because a lot of that stuff will either never happen or is so far off as to be beyond the life-cycle of whatever you buy now.

And then there's this: Electric Vehicle Sales In Canada Hit Record Levels

Seems like every week there's a new article about some company discovering a new battery tech, but the range of EVs has stayed the same since the Tesla Model S came out more than a decade ago.

The highest-capacity Model S a decade ago had 75 kWh capacity, and the newest ones (this is a model for which Tesla has more-or-less abandoned further development several years ago) are around 100 kWh, and they're not state-of-the-art.

Back then, (US numbers) 200 miles was more-or-less the benchmark, now it's nearing 300, and the GM Blazer/Equinox will do roughly that. The Chevy Bolt didn't exist back then. A Silverado EV is an enormous barge with a huge battery and will do 400+ miles. Didn't exist back then. (If you think it's an expensive vehicle now, it would have cost probably double that 10 years ago if you tried!)

The underlying battery chemistry hasn't changed much, it's the same underlying tech, but the cost of producing such batteries has dropped dramatically, which makes products using them to be priced more accessibly. Yes, a Silverado EV is expensive. An Equinox is priced close to the current average transaction price for new light-duty vehicles. Wasn't like that a decade ago.

As for where the action is really coming from ... BYD was not a mainstream auto manufacturer back then. Now, they're big - just not in this part of the world.

As for when that new battery tech shows up ... and it will, eventually ... I hope it isn't generally applied to increase vehicle range for most applications. (EV owner here. It isn't needed.) I hope it's applied to reduce weight and cost, and to allow it to be applied where EV is currently marginal or not practical. Motorcycles come to mind. Boating. Short-haul aviation.

They increase the price nowadays if you’re paying cash. And I sure as hell don’t have that type of cash laying around.

That’s only for the GTAM ballers!
Thats why you negotiate the out the door price before you reveal how you are paying. Same with a trade in. The salesguy was ****** when he handed me the paper work and I said, 'oh, forgot, I have a trade in too'. He said 'most people tell me that beforehand'. I said 'I know'. He just glared at me and said 'You have done this before'. Yep. Then he asked how I was paying. Cash. He shook his head, took the paperwork back and said 'why am I not surprised. Will you at least meet our finance person? If you dont do that I will hear about it for days' He was a nice guy so I agreed. She was very nice too. Surprisingly, so was the used car manager, got more than I expected for the trade in. :)

Thats why you negotiate the out the door price before you reveal how you are paying. Same with a trade in. The salesguy was ****** when he handed me the paper work and I said, 'oh, forgot, I have a trade in too'. He said 'most people tell me that beforehand'. I said 'I know'. He just glared at me and said 'You have done this before'. Yep. Then he asked how I was paying. Cash. He shook his head, took the paperwork back and said 'why am I not surprised. Will you at least meet our finance person? If you dont do that I will hear about it for days' He was a nice guy so I agreed. She was very nice too. Surprisingly, so was the used car manager, got more than I expected for the trade in. :)

That might have worked a couple of years ago.. not likely these days.

That might have worked a couple of years ago.. not likely these days.
I’m seeing more 0% financing and from what I’m seeing lots are full. Sure the very popular cars (i.e.: Highlander/Maverick) there’s zero movement and they’ll add bull crap on. But the run of the mill cars…they’re negotiating again.

I’m seeing more 0% financing and from what I’m seeing lots are full. Sure the very popular cars (i.e.: Highlander/Maverick) there’s zero movement and they’ll add bull crap on. But the run of the mill cars…they’re negotiating again.

I thought the higher price for cash thing was just at used vehicle dealers..? I was only talking about those places.

They increase the price nowadays if you’re paying cash. And I sure as hell don’t have that type of cash laying around.

That’s only for the GTAM ballers!

Auto loans are open, so you can pay them off anytime you want without paying the interest. Most things I've read has been dealerships asking people to keep the loan for at least four months before paying it off. Assumingly they get some kind of bonus if you do.

I didn't want to create a thread.. figured this one was good...
Where is Private Pilot? I haven't seen him post in a while..
Ditto what @GreyGhost said, he reached out via PM.

Back
Top Bottom