Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 406 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Oh, let's not forget (this is from a few months ago, obviously this type of complaint has subsided ... for now LOL)

"A few months ago <summer - Ed.> I was getting 318 miles of range, and now <winter - Ed.> it's only showing 230. Is my battery dying?"

Somehow, that it has now returned to 318 (or whatever) isn't something they complain about ...

Kamikaztree.

AIL4fc-clxeHFNcX3D5GUgwo5uJ2Jmg8wLwHyLpv_msiRy6V3RhVPshqg1pz65JJcm4Ztd8XZ-8pYcOOgDAAsA-dW8y3ZoFFsyEUMIjkAULUj3SvRagLcNsWaHuble3Nqwtzed-cp-GFdz3Te7NsMLnELKFo=w719-h931-s-no

Someone complained that anyone can walk up to the car and press the unlock button. (Or open the hatch by pressing the release.) Uhhh ... it's doing that because it's detecting your key fob in your pocket. Lock the car and walk 20 metres away, set the key fob down, then go back to the car without your key fob and see if you can unlock it now. LOL
The proximity on the x5 could use some extra range (imo), if you’re not standing literally at the door it ain’t gonna open.

The proximity on the x5 could use some extra range (imo), if you’re not standing literally at the door it ain’t gonna open.
On the flipside, I had a rental subaru with way too much range. 30+ feet away, it would unlock. I had the key inside a hotel eating breakfast and a co-worker could open the locked door. I imagine that would also suck for most houses as your vehicle is only pretend locked.

On the flipside, I had a rental subaru with way too much range. 30+ feet away, it would unlock. I had the key inside a hotel eating breakfast and a co-worker could open the locked door. I imagine that would also suck for most houses as you vehicle is only pretend locked.
Indeed.

I’m only slightly bothered on the few occasions my wife drove and I want to get something out of the car and she’s walking away with the key 🤣🤣

Research shows zinc-air batteries could be the future of powering electric vehicles

Zinc-air batteries have emerged as a better alternative to lithium in a recent Edith Cowan University (ECU) study into the advancement of sustainable battery systems.

ECU's Dr. Muhammad Rizwan Azhar led the project which discovered lithium-ion batteries, although a popular choice for electric vehicles around the world, face limitations related to cost, finite resources, and safety concerns. The work is published in the journal EcoMat.

"Rechargeable zinc-air batteries (ZABs) are becoming more appealing because of their low cost, environmental friendliness, high theoretical energy density, and inherent safety," Dr. Muhammad Rizwan Azhar said.

"With the emergence of next-generation long-range vehicles and electric aircraft in the market, there is an increasing need for safer, more cost-effective, and high-performance battery systems that can surpass the capabilities of lithium-ion batteries."
more

As sad as it is, that may be the most functional pedal setup I have seen on an ebike in ages. I separate ebikes and pedelecs in my mind. Ebikes are strictly for legal compliance and are almost universally impossible to pedal.

Because every regulated to 32 kmh Ebike needz dual front disc brakes. :rolleyes:

So you want to build your cars by using great big castings, huh?

Evidently, this only affects late model "short range" versions of the Model Y that are built in Texas with the 4680 "structural" batteries, which means, there aren't a whole lot of them out there, which makes one wonder how many more of them have cracks that the owners haven't discovered yet ... and how this is affecting Cybertruck, which are supposed to all be built with large castings. Supposedly this particular crack is non structural - although it's near the upper strut mount - and the cracking of castings is not a controlled process, so where's the next one going to crack?

This doesn't surprise me. Thin-wall castings are hard to manufacture! Casting inherently leads to a brittle grain structure in the metal. Casting inherently involves large temperature differences during the casting process, which means, thermal stresses.

Maybe there's a reason the rest of the auto industry doesn't do this.

So you want to build your cars by using great big castings, huh?

Evidently, this only affects late model "short range" versions of the Model Y that are built in Texas with the 4680 "structural" batteries, which means, there aren't a whole lot of them out there, which makes one wonder how many more of them have cracks that the owners haven't discovered yet ... and how this is affecting Cybertruck, which are supposed to all be built with large castings. Supposedly this particular crack is non structural - although it's near the upper strut mount - and the cracking of castings is not a controlled process, so where's the next one going to crack?

This doesn't surprise me. Thin-wall castings are hard to manufacture! Casting inherently leads to a brittle grain structure in the metal. Casting inherently involves large temperature differences during the casting process, which means, thermal stresses.

Maybe there's a reason the rest of the auto industry doesn't do this.
Musk should have hired a visionary like Stockton Rush to get him past these hurdles. /s

EDIT:
I don't love the texture on the casting either. That seems like it could provide many stress concentrations and crack propagation points. The mess on the right side of the oval hole looks like it would start cracks too.

tesla-crack.jpg

In what should be no surprise, this casting is glued in and basically impossible to replace. It won't take much of a crash to scrap these cars.

Last edited:
Bolt one year check-in. 39,000 km. Most charging has been at home. There have been two trips reliant on public fast charging, which worked fine. It has been in the shop three times - once to put on winter tires, once to go back to summer tires, and once for the seat belt pretensioner recall. The bumper covers are still attached.

Bolt one year check-in. 39,000 km. Most charging has been at home. There have been two trips reliant on public fast charging, which worked fine. It has been in the shop three times - once to put on winter tires, once to go back to summer tires, and once for the seat belt pretensioner recall. The bumper covers are still attached.
Nice! Glad to read this! May be a better option for me than the GTI!

What’s your range like in the coldest days of winter? Is the cabin bearing ok? Volt blows lukewarm air at best.

On the absolute coldest days I recall seeing GOM somewhere around 300 km, more typically in winter it was 350-360.

HVAC heating in auto mode is one of my only dislikes - not that it isn't strong enough (it will blow hot air - although bear in mind that you'll pay for it in range), but rather that the HVAC has an incomprehensible mind of its own and is resistant to me requesting something else. In A/C mode when it definitely requires cooling, it's fine. Sometimes when set to 22 C interior temperature and it's 20-ish outside, it turns on the heat when it really should simply blow fresh air with neither heat nor A/C (it doesn't seem to know how to do that unless you specifically turn off both heat and A/C), and sometimes when set to 21 C interior temperature and its 10 - 12-ish outside, it turns on the A/C for no apparent reason and won't apply heat. Manual override appears to be just a suggestion. I generally don't like automatic climate control. Thermostatic control is fine, but not automatic mode selection. Give me three knobs and a couple of switches to enable/disable A/C (and heat, in this case) and fresh/recirc and let me decide.

The ZDX from Acura .....
The base A-Spec model will get a 340-hp electric motor driving the rear wheels as standard, but a second motor is optional and brings with it all-wheel drive. With one motor, the ZDX A-Spec boasts an estimated driving range of 325 miles; add the second motor, and that drops to 315 (506 km). A 500-hp, all-wheel drive variant wearing the vaunted Type S badge is also available and features a more aggressive suspension tune with adaptive dampers and larger Brembo brakes. Going for the performance trim drops the ZDX’s range estimate to 288 miles (463 km)per charge.

The dimensions of the Acura ZDX EV are nearly identical to the Cadillac Lyriq’s. In fact, the 2024 ZDX has an identical 121.8-inch (309 cm) wheelbase to the Lyriq. Length for the Acura is 197.7 inches (502 cm), width is 77 inches (195 cm), and height is 64.4 inches (163 cm). No curb weight specs supplied, but dual-motor models will probably get close to the 5,800 or so pounds of the heaviest Lyriq models.

/info from press reports

The 2024 Polestar 2 is getting a 500+ km upgrade and moving to rear wheel drive. Starts at $55k CAD before the rebate for the single motor long range model. I've aways liked the looks of those.
1693425562942.png

The ZDX from Acura .....

The dimensions of the Acura ZDX EV are nearly identical to the Cadillac Lyriq’s. In fact, the 2024 ZDX has an identical 121.8-inch (309 cm) wheelbase to the Lyriq. Length for the Acura is 197.7 inches (502 cm), width is 77 inches (195 cm), and height is 64.4 inches (163 cm). No curb weight specs supplied, but dual-motor models will probably get close to the 5,800 or so pounds of the heaviest Lyriq models.

/info from press reports

this isn''t coincidence....

can't wait to see a comparo between the 2 to see how different they really are.

Back
Top Bottom