Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 391 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Yamaha power assist bicycles now available in canada. Really cool and how all ebikes should be. Proportional power with tons of grunt when you are working hard and assist tapers off to zero at 32 km/h. Price is steep as expected $7K/8.3K at launch. I'm not convinced that a yamaha motorcycle dealership is going to be the best place to get your bicycle fixed.

EV Tow test.

TL: DW Tons of power to pull trailers. Range is about half. Rivian guess-o-meter sometimes changes range by 50 miles when you have driven 5 miles. This makes trip planning brutal as you can't afford to pass a charger unless you have at least double the range you need to reach the next one. Ford guess-o-meter was reasonable. They had trouble fast-charging at full speed (1/3 to 1/2 of posted rate was achievable). Disconnecting trailers to access chargers sucks. 200 mile trip needed two charging stops. boo.

Funny enough I saw the same Ford Lightning on 407 today twice 7hrs apart towing a 4x8ft enclosed trailer. It made me curious how far he was able to go driving with it.

Funny enough I saw the same Ford Lightning on 407 today twice 7hrs apart towing a 4x8ft enclosed trailer. It made me curious how far he was able to go driving with it.
There is probably a market for trailer aero assist (likely a pop-up rear frame like on some tractor trailers). You can afford to spend some money on it when it extends your range signficantly. The video was grumbling about weight but I suspect that most of the trailer hit is aero. Weight should almost cancel out as you are going up and down hills. More weight means you took more to get over but you also get more regen.

goodbye AMG 35
Apparently someone else said they want it. And they’re the employee of the owner ☹️

I spoke with my buddy yesterday and he’s trying to figure out what’s going on and whether I still have a shot at it or not. Last count there were 2-3 employees that wanted it. Now there’s only 1-2.

My guy you said you wanted the death penalty for anyone with 33" tires...

All hat no cattle

No, I said if you kill anyone with that stupid penis extension on the front of your Jeep you should get the death penalty.

Damn…maybe I should buy one before they’re all gone.

I expect they'll go down in price when the Equinox EV's come out.

Personally, I prefer a sedan's driving dynamics over a CUV like the Bolt UEV is ... didn't like the Bolt front end in pics but finally saw 1 the other day and it's better than I thought and it'd drive sportier than the EUV.

Having said that, I'm hoping the next update on the new Toyota Pruis Prime in maybe 3-5 years will net it an EV only range to match my 6 year old Volt ... truth be told, the backup gas engine is a nice feature to have and AFAIK the Prime system has the engine powering the wheels directly instead of the Volt's engine screaming to recharge the battery. I'd prefer the former option.

The Bolt EUV isn't really a CUV. It's a VW Golf-sized front-drive car that sits a little higher due to the battery underneath but with a lower center of gravity due to that battery. For this car's daily-driver mission in life, I have no complaints about ride and handling. Some people complain the rear suspension is a little under-damped ... there are aftermarket upgrades for those who insist ... I find it's plenty good enough for how I use the car. Likewise with the tires - some complain about low grip from the low-rolling-resistance tires. I bought new (aftermarket) 17x7.5" rims (1 inch wider than stock) and put the stock tires on those. Plenty good enough for me, and I have my summer range back.

EUV and EV are so close that I doubt most people would notice a difference in the way they drove. EUV's wheelbase is slightly longer and it weighs a little more, and the aero isn't quite as good as the EV - hence the EV having a smidge better highway range and a wee bit faster acceleration - but the difference is only splitting hairs.

I don't think anyone outside of GM has had their hands on any of the BEV3 vehicles yet other than the somewhat-related Cadillac Lyriq ... and that one weighs a tonne more than a Bolt.

The vw battery plant deal seems stinky. $13.2B kicked in by govt for maybe 3000 full-time jobs. That is $4.4M per employee. I suspect this will be like the wind turbines where we provide huge subsidies for domestic content and when subsidies dry up, plant closes and we are left with the bill but not much else. Government participating in greenwashing angers me.
Always love the comments on these articles :ROFLMAO:

Another person complaining about range. This time a Volvo. As with all of these, n=1 and we aren't sure if they are attempting to maximize range or just hammering it and then complaining.

TL: DR Volvo C40R for $72K. Advertised range 364km. Range they are getting is 225 km (mostly highway, they don't talk about weather).

His wife is commuting from Etobicoke to Barrie, doing the reverse commute what is the over under on 120kph++ once north of the city... EV range killer...

Back of the napkin, I get roughly 50,000 km per year in total commute (100 km each way). On average 4167 km per month. At $1.6 per litre (give or take) and his quoted $1000 per month.... They get roughly 15l/100 km on their ICE vehicle during the commute! Unless it is a serious brodozer maybe we have found the skinny pedal problem....

Another person complaining about range. This time a Volvo. As with all of these, n=1 and we aren't sure if they are attempting to maximize range or just hammering it and then complaining.

TL: DR Volvo C40R for $72K. Advertised range 364km. Range they are getting is 225 km (mostly highway, they don't talk about weather).

I’d say you’ve hit the nail on the head with your guess.

Buy an EV and drive like an ICE car and you’re in for disappointment.

As soon as I read that article, my thought was that they're running the climate system, and that's what's dropping the range. For me, that was the biggest shocker I had when my partner bought her EV. But it's not something either of us cared about because her commute is only 5 km, with free charging at work.
I would like to think that if she had a long ass commute like that, that we would have looked into things a hell of a lot harder.

Georgetown to Barrie with mine (roughly same distance) uses a quarter of a charge in summer, maybe 3/8 in winter. No problem to do a return trip without charging. But, it would be really easy to use more. Set temp to 24 C and press "auto" is one way. Driving 130 is another. Aero drag goes with velocity squared.

The internet has found that on long trips in the Bolt, the optimal speed is 105 km/h. If traffic demands, you CAN considerably exceed this, but you'll pay for it in range. GM seems to agree...the "behaviourmeter" on the instrument cluster transitions from green to yellow between 105 and 110 as a reminder.

Back
Top Bottom