Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 389 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

2023-01-23-trucks-side-by-side-desktop.png
I just think this is so on point.

I don't understand why they didn't line something up. Anything.
The front of the box is a perfect line. The graphic shows how, as the box got smaller the cab got larger.

The front of the box is a perfect line. The graphic shows how, as the box got smaller the cab got larger.
That's what I thought but 2-3 and 4-5 were off by a bit if that was the line. A bunch of the increase in "cab" was sloped windshields which does very little for useful space. Obviously the cabs got bigger (and fit more people) but I just don't think this is the best representation I have seen of that. In general trucks have grown huge and as some members here have found out, they are so damned high that it is hard to do truck things with them. All in the pursuit of better mall cred.

1674233103127.png

6i9fw47qac561.jpg

Hell, someone wrote a whole article about the silliness of that image.

edit:
it's not just trucks on steroids. Both seat four comfortably.

car_photo_369484_25.jpg

Last edited:
My '84 Toyota 2wd pickup was very close to the same size as that gen 1 regular cab 2wd Tacoma. Generation after that is when they started exploding. Look at that nice, low, easy-to-deal-with bed floor height (which is just a smidge above the top of the back bumper).

I do not need or want a car that is bigger than a VW Golf. The Bolt is very close to that size. Sits a little higher due to the battery underneath, but length, width, and interior are similar.

I hope GM eventually sees fit to replace the Bolt/Trax/Encore with another Ultium-based EV that is roughly that size, smaller than Equinox.

My '84 Toyota 2wd pickup was very close to the same size as that gen 1 regular cab 2wd Tacoma. Generation after that is when they started exploding. Look at that nice, low, easy-to-deal-with bed floor height (which is just a smidge above the top of the back bumper).

I do not need or want a car that is bigger than a VW Golf. The Bolt is very close to that size. Sits a little higher due to the battery underneath, but length, width, and interior are similar.

I hope GM eventually sees fit to replace the Bolt/Trax/Encore with another Ultium-based EV that is roughly that size, smaller than Equinox.
And honestly for a small grocery getting hatchback that mk7-8 golf is "fun to drive" as something that wasnt built to be "fun to drive"
And personally if space is the issue, i prefer the low access of a station wagon to an SUV...and so does my aging dog when she has to get in the car. Soon enough, everybody will be driving busses to get around because they neEd thE sPaCe onCe a YeAr.

neEd thE sPaCe onCe a YeAr.
And even that is a stretch. Many get delivery at that point so they don't get their mall crawler dirty. I was laughing my ass off a few weeks ago when I saw an asian guy looking back and forth between the treadmill he just bought and his urus. When you pay 300k for your mall crawler, getting the heavy awkward thing delivered makes more sense.

He quotes the 2 door F150 but honestly when did you last see a 2 door p/u?
He also say they're safer. True perhaps for the driver but not so for pedestrians.
That's what I thought but 2-3 and 4-5 were off by a bit if that was the line. A bunch of the increase in "cab" was sloped windshields which does very little for useful space. Obviously the cabs got bigger (and fit more people) but I just don't think this is the best representation I have seen of that. In general trucks have grown huge and as some members here have found out, they are so damned high that it is hard to do truck things with them. All in the pursuit of better mall cred.

1674233103127.png

6i9fw47qac561.jpg

Hell, someone wrote a whole article about the silliness of that image.

edit:
it's not just trucks on steroids. Both seat four comfortably.

car_photo_369484_25.jpg

I think in the F150 top-view comparison, they show the most popular body style in each generation. Decades back (leftmost), standard-cab pickups were the norm. GM didn't even have an extended-cab body style available through 1987 (you could get crew cabs in some configurations, but those were RARE). The rounded F150 generation (middle) 1997-ish were most often seen in extended-cab, and nowadays, the most common config is crew cab short box.

He also say they're safer. True perhaps for the driver but not so for pedestrians.
but not so for... pretty much all other road users that are not pickup trucks except bigger delivery trucks and semis LOL

There was a stat I read a while back (can't find it now) that stated that the GMC Sierra (?) was the deadliest vehicle on the road...but it hid the main point in the body of the article that it was deadliest for the other vehicle occupants, not the GMC occupants.

Honestly sometimes I worry driving the Volt where I pull up beside a lifted truck...and his wheels are at my eye level sitting down.

That thing hits me, I'm dead. And his fine will be a big lot of nothing for having an illegally lifted truck that killed someone.

There was a stat I read a while back (can't find it now) that stated that the GMC Sierra (?) was the deadliest vehicle on the road...but it hid the main point in the body of the article that it was deadliest for the other vehicle occupants, not the GMC occupants.

Honestly sometimes I worry driving the Volt where I pull up beside a lifted truck...and his wheels are at my eye level sitting down.

That thing hits me, I'm dead. And his fine will be a big lot of nothing for having an illegally lifted truck that killed someone.
I am slightly surprised that insurance companies haven't started washing their hands on claims where you intentionally defeat collision mitigation systems. Raising a bumper above standard height kills a lot of people and does nothing useful on the street. Similar to tractor trailers, if you want to be tall and on the road, there should be a lower bumper to take the hit.

I am slightly surprised that insurance companies haven't started washing their hands on claims where you intentionally defeat collision mitigation systems. Raising a bumper above standard height kills a lot of people and does nothing useful on the street. Similar to tractor trailers, if you want to be tall and on the road, there should be a lower bumper to take the hit.
I wonder if they even investigate such things. One would figure insurance companies would be happy to find a reason to deny insurance payouts.

Mind you then the injured party is SOL as good luck getting money from the idiot that hit you and killed / injured you.

Unless insurance still pays out and then goes after the idiot.

I’ve seen so many trucks lifted, but not one with a lowered bumper.

I wonder if they even investigate such things. One would figure insurance companies would be happy to find a reason to deny insurance payouts.

Mind you then the injured party is SOL as good luck getting money from the idiot that hit you and killed / injured you.

Unless insurance still pays out and then goes after the idiot.

I’ve seen so many trucks lifted, but not one with a lowered bumper.

They'd have to prove the modification caused the accident. Just having a lifted vehicle doesn't mean you should be denied insurance. If you were driving a lifted truck and rear ended someone because you were texting, then whether is was lifted or not doesn't matter. It may cause more damage, but has nothing to do with the accident happening.

What about lowered vehicles? You lower your already low car 2 or 3 inches, now every SUV and truck bumper is eye level. You're more likely to get hurt in an accident, so why should insurance pay out for your injuries?

They'd have to prove the modification caused the accident. Just having a lifted vehicle doesn't mean you should be denied insurance. If you were driving a lifted truck and rear ended someone because you were texting, then whether is was lifted or not doesn't matter. It may cause more damage, but has nothing to do with the accident happening.

What about lowered vehicles? You lower your already low car 2 or 3 inches, now every SUV and truck bumper is eye level. You're more likely to get hurt in an accident, so why should insurance pay out for your injuries?
Lifted or lowered is not road legal in Ontario. It could lead to denial of insurance on the basis of being unfit for the road.

Sent from the future

Well…as @Scuba Steve says if I lower my car illegally…that’s on me now. So same situation as an illegal lift.

Denial of insurance is possible.

Just because people do it doesn’t make it right. Same as I’m sure all those converted Sportsters from 883 to 1200 have told their insurers about the extra power.

Don’t get me started on the idiots with cambered wheels that can’t clear a speed bump.

Lifted or lowered is not road legal in Ontario. It could lead to denial of insurance on the basis of being unfit for the road.

Sent from the future

some BMW. Acura Type S MDX, MB, and other SUVs have air suspensions that can lift and lower the vehicle around 2 to 3" anytime you like.

illegal?

Last edited:
some BMW. Acura Type S MDX, MB, and other SUVs have air suspensions that can lift and lower the vehicle up to 6" anytime you like.

illegal?
I would say legal as I don’t expect a manufacturer to let their car be illegal by their own design.

Anyway enough detour. What’s the availability of EVs nowadays? I’m seeing car lots become mighty full rather quickly.

Few weeks ago cars were scarce on lots…now…lots look almost full.

Back
Top Bottom