Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 388 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

I ran across a video about the Mirai earlier today, unfortunately in my old age I don't remember where I saw it, and of course can't find it again.

It has the world's biggest center console and central "tunnel" up the middle of the vehicle. One of the hydrogen tanks sits lengthwise under there.

For something that's near a full-size car, it has hilariously little back-seat headroom. The seat cushion sits up high, because another of the hydrogen tanks sits crosswise underneath there.

The trunk is a joke. More hydrogen tanks.

Tanks holding gases at 700 bar (10,000 psi) pressure have severe restrictions on the shape that they can be made. They can only be cylindrical or spherical ...

And this is a supposedly highly-efficient fuel cell vehicle. Forget internal-combustion engines running on hydrogen. They would need several times the volume of hydrogen (or have a fraction of the range) due to their poorer efficiency.

(Chevy Bolt status: plugged in, charging)

Fill your boots...
compressed H is not the only route ...DOE continues to fund progress.
Always thought H might be the dark horse.
People had much the same response to EVs early on. I think distribution might be the greater barrier.

Fill your boots...
People had much the same response to EVs early on. I think distribution might be the greater barrier.
Spending many billions to build distribution for something that requires far more energy to bottle than if we just stuck the electricity into batteries using the existing infrastructure is a loser and always will be. There are certain niche markets where hydrogen may work but I doubt they are enough to sustain the model. Taxi/airport limo/busses etc that dont have a lot of downtime but often return to a home base could fill at the home base. Similar to how those uses had propane in the past. They want the lowest cost per km and can sacrifice range to get it. Even in these uses, I doubt hydrogen will be the lowest cost per km and expect they will use a quick hit from a huge dc fast charger at various points throughout the day.

Oh ye of little faith :) - there are multiple sources of green hydrogen that are simply electricity going to waste - nuclear and wind/solar/tide. The headache is that is not easily storable ....hydrogen is the holy grail as a fuel.
Whether an ICE version has a future....that's a valid question as fuel cell versions are established.

The global green hydrogen market size was estimated at USD 3.2 billion in 2021 and is expected to reach USD 4.21 billion in 2022.
Report AttributeDetails
Market size value in 2022USD 4.21 billion
Revenue forecast in 2030USD 60.56 billion
Growth rateCAGR of 39.5% from 2022 to 2030
The world’s first shipment of liquefied hydrogen from Australia to Japan took place in February 2022, a key milestone in the development of an international hydrogen market.

Now that is likely not a green source still the market it there as is the transport system.

Trains and buses are already in play, I wonder if hydrogen is not ideal for seagoing transport
and

I ran across a video about the Mirai earlier today, unfortunately in my old age I don't remember where I saw it, and of course can't find it again.

It has the world's biggest center console and central "tunnel" up the middle of the vehicle. One of the hydrogen tanks sits lengthwise under there.

For something that's near a full-size car, it has hilariously little back-seat headroom. The seat cushion sits up high, because another of the hydrogen tanks sits crosswise underneath there.

The trunk is a joke. More hydrogen tanks.

The vw battery plant deal seems stinky. $13.2B kicked in by govt for maybe 3000 full-time jobs. That is $4.4M per employee. I suspect this will be like the wind turbines where we provide huge subsidies for domestic content and when subsidies dry up, plant closes and we are left with the bill but not much else. Government participating in greenwashing angers me.

Fill your boots...
Distribution for sure will be a hard barrier to overcome. Also what will the cost of filling up be?

My Volt costs me approx $1-2 to fill up the small battery. How much does a Tesla cost to fill up?

Hydrogen may be quicker and longer range, but at what cost? If it’s stupidly expensive the take up by the buyers will be low except for the first adopters willing to pay up (same as first generations of EVs).

From C/D EV range:

2023 Lucid Air: 516 Miles

2023 Tesla Model S: 405 Miles

2023 Hyundai Ioniq 6: 361 Miles

2023 Tesla Model 3: 358 Miles

2023 Mercedes EQS Sedan: 350 Miles

2023 Tesla Model X: 348 Miles

2023 Tesla Model Y: 330 Miles

2023 GMC Hummer EV Pickup: 329 Miles

2023 Rivian R1T: 328 Miles

2023 BMW iX: 324 Miles

From C/D EV range:

2023 Lucid Air: 516 Miles

2023 Tesla Model S: 405 Miles

2023 Hyundai Ioniq 6: 361 Miles

2023 Tesla Model 3: 358 Miles

2023 Mercedes EQS Sedan: 350 Miles

2023 Tesla Model X: 348 Miles

2023 Tesla Model Y: 330 Miles

2023 GMC Hummer EV Pickup: 329 Miles

2023 Rivian R1T: 328 Miles

2023 BMW iX: 324 Miles

these are advertised ranges. C/D also does a real range test at 75mph, more indicative of when you actually need range (long distance highway speeds): EV Range: Everything You Need to Know

Big drop for most once you are fighting the wind at speed, ex: Tesla Model 3 ends up at 240mi
I estimate the Hummer and Rivian real world highway would be less than 200mi

these are advertised ranges. C/D also does a real range test at 75mph, more indicative of when you actually need range (long distance highway speeds): EV Range: Everything You Need to Know

Big drop for most once you are fighting the wind at speed, ex: Tesla Model 3 ends up at 240mi
I estimate the Hummer and Rivian real world highway would be less than 200mi
Agreed.
In another country, the EVs of the company that own Jaguar Land-Rover have an advertised range of 400 km, in real-world usage even under near ideal conditions, users could achieve 230 km.
Here, in an ICE car that has a fuel tank range of 560 km, in less than ideal road conditions that mileage drops to 520 km.

I was reading a thread on Reddit where a guy was complaining his real world range on his Ioniq5 was about 120-150miles in the summer.

I thought these things had much better range in all honesty.

I was reading a thread on Reddit where a guy was complaining his real world range on his Ioniq5 was about 120-150miles in the summer.

I am always a little leary of individual complaints. I know in the early days of tesla (lotus conversion cars), each second at full power used about 1% of the battery. Sure it was fun but you could burn through the battery in minutes. That wasn't the cars fault. You need to alter your driving to make the vehicle work for the trip. If you have a shorter trip, have fun giving it the beans. If you need to travel far as quickly as possible, take it very easy on the fun pedal and try to avoid friction brakes entirely. Some people have no issue altering their driving style, others stamp their feet and refuse to do anything to help themselves.

If your driving is defective, you can drain the battery in a big hurry, just as you can have terrible fuel consumption with a petrol vehicle by driving like an idiot.

Driving with the accelerator bolted to the floor, or treated as an on/off switch, and braking hard so that you are requesting more braking than regenerative braking can deliver, and driving at high speed, and doing things that demand high HVAC loading, are all things that you pay for.

I should add that with the Bolt, long-road-trippers have established that if you are going to be doing a trip that will require DC fast-charging, the best speed to drive is 65 mph or 105 km/h. If you drive slower than that, you'll get longer range (and that might be useful if you actually need it) but it will take longer to get there. If you drive faster than that, you'll cover the ground more quickly to the next fast-charger but you'll spend more time charging. And to support this ... one of the indicators on the Bolt's very useful and informative instrument cluster is a ring that surrounds the speedometer (and other indicators). That ring is grey when you're stopped and doing nothing. When you're driving nicely, it's green. When you're doing something sub-optimal, it turns yellow. Accelerating hard turns it yellow, but it does a gradual shift from green to yellow between 105 and 110 km/h as a suggestion to slow down.

My uncle and I both had 2014 Ram 1500's with the hemi + 6 speed. He had just gotten back from a trip to the Soo and said he averaged 9L/100km. I was like there was no way, the best I've ever seen is high 11's, and usually averaged mid 13L/100km. Then I went driving with him... The guy drives 5km under the speed limit, accelerates slow, and is never in a rush. Just the type of driver I hate, but I see why his gas mileage was so good.

Back to electric cars, my parents new hybrid Tuscon arrived this week and they pick it up on Friday. They just got the regular hybrid, not the plug-in. I'll swing by on the weekend and take it for a spin

That was expected; the lower end of the Equinox line-up is going to be not far from the Bolt's price range.

I'm keeping the Bolt, though. The Equinox is going to be bigger, and wider, and with how space is allocated in my driveway, that's a problem.

That was expected; the lower end of the Equinox line-up is going to be not far from the Bolt's price range.

I'm keeping the Bolt, though. The Equinox is going to be bigger, and wider, and with how space is allocated in my driveway, that's a problem.
Given how quickly vehicles are growing you may have to learn from your neighbours and pave your front lawn to make more room for them.

Back
Top Bottom