Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 369 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

It's remarkable how closely this has been tailored to Amazon's specific application.

I've had more involvement with GM's BV1HX a.k.a. eLDV a.k.a. BrightDrop that's going to be built at Ingersoll, but I haven't seen the final product yet. I don't think they're quite as single-purpose as Amazon's van. I know FedEx is buying a bunch of the GM vans. Dug up specs - spotted one big difference - the Amazon van is front-drive only, the BrightDrop is all-wheel-drive.

I'm doing an experiment. See if I can get through this week using only the Level 1 120V charger that came with the car, plugged into a 120V receptacle in the garage. (Started Friday)

Obviously, "always be charging". Less driving on the weekend has allowed the state-of-charge to be higher each day. It isn't going to be 100% by tomorrow morning, and the limited power of the 120V charger means it won't have enough to completely catch up after each day during the week ... but I think the head start at the beginning of the week will be enough to get through.

So I'm concluding this experiment today. Since writing that post, I've used nothing but the Level 1 120V charger that came with the car, and that included a 332 km round trip in nasty weather on Christmas Day between my place, my sister, and my niece. (I plugged the car in there while visiting - something like 6 hours total.) The low-charge alarm (15%) came on just before I got home, 50 km left on the GOM.

I'm concluding it today because I have to drive to Cobourg tomorrow, and the amount of charge that will be needed to top up after I get home today will be beyond what the 120V charger can do ... but not by much. The day after that, I have to go to St Catharines, so I'll need the Level 2 after tomorrow's trip as well.

Still ... I've done the last 1700 or 1800 km over the last couple of weeks, powered strictly by 120V single phase ...

How? "ABC" ... "always be charging"

Any reason other than "to see if I can" to bypass the 220v charger? Maybe something to do with battery longevity being better on the slow charger?

Any reason other than "to see if I can" to bypass the 220v charger? Maybe something to do with battery longevity being better on the slow charger?
It's good to know that 120 charging works in a pinch. Level 2 at home is still pretty slow charging over 8 hours or so. I wouldnt be at all concerned about battery life. DC fast charge on the other hand hits the battery hard.

Proving a point to the "we don't have the infrastructure", "EVs will cause blackouts", "I need to rework the electrical supply to my house and it will cost too much" crowd.

If you have a sensibly sized EV (Bolt, Leaf, ID4 or ID3 if VW brings it here, Model 3, Kona, Niro, Ioniq5, EV6, etc) as opposed to a thirsty monstrosity, and you drive on average < 100 km per day or < 130 km per work day with less on weekends, all you need is one 120V outlet at home and at work, and ABC ... always be charging. At < 80 km per day or <100 per work day with less on weekends, you don't need the one at work unless you never eat and sleep at home.

80 km every day is 29,200 km per year ... about 50% higher than average. For the average person ... Don't need to upgrade the circuits in your house. Don't need an expensive charger installation. Not going to cause blackouts.

If you insist on driving a thirsty Hummer EV instead of something sensible, that's on you.

My cousin in Poland connected his E-Tron AUDI to his father in laws house for a 100% charge….they’re 220V as standard.

Ended up melting the panel / feed to his car and had to buy his FIL a new panel.

He just paid for an upgraded panel that he could pull full power from as he goes there often, and he’s rich.

My cousin in Poland connected his E-Tron AUDI to his father in laws house for a 100% charge….they’re 220V as standard.

Ended up melting the panel / feed to his car and had to buy his FIL a new panel.

He just paid for an upgraded panel that he could pull full power from as he goes there often, and he’s rich.
Polish electrician fail. There should be no way to melt a panel if connections are tight and breakers are properly sized.

Polish electrician fail. There should be no way to melt a panel if connections are tight and breakers are properly sized.
I don’t doubt it. Someone messed up large. But knowing how corners are cut…not surprising.

Plus the fact he’s in court with 7 different trades right now for the issues with his newly built house.

Yes and no.

As an example in NA overloading a circuit in a Federal Pacific Electric panel results in fires far too often (I have heard numbers in the range of 2,800 fires per year). Breakers don't trip and it all melts down. I bet in Europe there is some bad mojo gear as well, just a different brand. It happens and many people just don't know they have bad gear in their home, installed decades ago.

And/Or it could just be some cold war era panel....

and this caught my eye
snip

Another US state adds electric bike subsidy, this time with up to $1,700 rebate​

That proposed national e-bike tax credit might have faltered before the finish line, but Oregon stepped up to the plate with its own statewide e-bike rebate.
plus this design also - dual battery

bqi-header.jpg

Last edited:
Effing hell. My intermittent turn signal issue returned. Summer time it wouldn’t work about 25C. Now it just stopped working a day ago. Can’t blame the heat for this issue.

B50795D8-C24A-4B9D-AF4F-3A74A8B0E60C.jpeg

Changed bulb and issue still persists. Checked fuses that are related and they all appear fine.

Will keep at it tomorrow. FML.

I need a wiring diagram for this thing. @PrivatePilot ??

But it’s cold outside and I doubt most drivers would know wtf I’m doing.

Plus the rear signal works just fine.
Stay on roads that have left turn lanes. Most(?) should figure out what you are planning to do.

Back
Top Bottom