Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 368 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Going up north so had to fill up:( I’m sure I could’ve hit 3000km on $45 of fuel.

87031E64-17DF-4E82-A889-C3F36193350E.jpeg

Reactions: LBV
Never going to see that here. Agree though. I'd buy one.
Me too. I'll buy 3, the would be perfect replacements for our Transit Connect service vans.

I'm doing an experiment. See if I can get through this week using only the Level 1 120V charger that came with the car, plugged into a 120V receptacle in the garage. (Started Friday)

Obviously, "always be charging". Less driving on the weekend has allowed the state-of-charge to be higher each day. It isn't going to be 100% by tomorrow morning, and the limited power of the 120V charger means it won't have enough to completely catch up after each day during the week ... but I think the head start at the beginning of the week will be enough to get through.

I'm doing an experiment. See if I can get through this week using only the Level 1 120V charger that came with the car, plugged into a 120V receptacle in the garage. (Started Friday)

Obviously, "always be charging". Less driving on the weekend has allowed the state-of-charge to be higher each day. It isn't going to be 100% by tomorrow morning, and the limited power of the 120V charger means it won't have enough to completely catch up after each day during the week ... but I think the head start at the beginning of the week will be enough to get through.
Purpose?

My buddy has been doing that for a year on his Model 3. Top up on the weekend, and enough to get to and from work (Newmarket to Scarborough) during the week.

Hasn’t bothered to upgrade to an L2 yet and he’s happy.

Other buddy is doing it with his Mini.

Only reason I bothered with an L2 is because I had my old one lying around in the garage…which I bought for $80.

EVX chief executive Andrew Forster said the chargers, which will offer power at a flat rate of 50c per kilowatt hour, would make charging “more accessible and affordable for both residents and visitors to Newcastle”.

– from AAP
How does this compare to pay to charge rates in Ontario ??? ( Aus dollar worth 10% less than Canadian )

Ausgrid reveals plan for power pole network to charge electric cars​

Australian drivers will be able to “fill” their electric vehicles at up to 30,000 new charging stations by 2029 under a plan by one of the country’s largest electricity distributors.

Ausgrid has revealed its project to install thousands of chargers on power poles around the country, in urban and suburban locations as well as tourist hotspots and regional towns.

The plan announced in Newcastle today is one of several big investments in electric vehicle charging infrastructure revealed in recent weeks.

How does this compare to pay to charge rates in Ontario ??? ( Aus dollar worth 10% less than Canadian )

It's not quite as clean as I think they are regulated to charge by time instead of Kw in Ontario but at Onroute stations (convenient stops on a long drive) you are looking at $0.30/minute for up to 150 kW. Assuming you can suck the whole pipe, that would be $0.12/kwh.

Oz has still way too much coal fired and the distances are worse than Canada given smaller population 12c seems low ...that's mid peak for home charging. :unsure:

Oz has still way too much coal fired and the distances are worse than Canada given smaller population 12c seems low ...that's mid peak for home charging. :unsure:
12c assumes you can suck the whole pipe. If you only use 20kw, you are up to 90c/kwh.

Not understanding the the relationship .... - so 50c is reasonable as a flat rate?
Regulators in canada make us pay by time. Stupid system. Hopefully changing soon.

50c per kwh is not great and people should avoid that unless they dont have other options. A bolt is about 18 kwh/100 km. So about $9/100 km for fuel. Gas is 1.30/l so same money on gas would be 7L/100 km. So at 50c /kwh, electric car is a bit more expensive per km than the equivalent gas vehicle.

It's not quite as clean as I think they are regulated to charge by time instead of Kw in Ontario but at Onroute stations (convenient stops on a long drive) you are looking at $0.30/minute for up to 150 kW. Assuming you can suck the whole pipe, that would be $0.12/kwh.
I think it's closer to 25c/kwh. It's charged at 50c/minute, PetroCan national network) 480v@200a is the average delivery flow.

"GM said that in rare cases, exhaust gases from the front seatbelt pretensioners could come in contact with carpet fibres following a crash, potentially causing a fire."

Another thing to not worry about. (It also has nothing whatsoever to do with this particular vehicle being an EV.)

Meanwhile ...
These are the Ford models being recalled over fire risk. (and this particular fault cannot happen with an EV ...)
Nearly 250,000 Ram trucks in models 2500 and 3500 recalled over engine fire risk (another one that can't happen with an EV)

And ... "because" ... Honda Recalls Nearly 1.8 Million Cars Over Flaming Window Switches and Corroding Driveshafts

:-( In the course of doing this digging, I found that roadracing's favourite portable generator for tire-warmers has a recall on it ... American Honda Recall of Portable Generators Due to Fire and Burn Hazards

Back
Top Bottom