900,000 students coming in… | Page 42 | GTAMotorcycle.com

900,000 students coming in…

From the Globe and Mail and C D Howe institute.

The number of temporary residents in Canada swelled to 2.8 million in the first quarter, underscoring the challenge facing a federal government that is looking to restrict migration to the country.
Temporary residents – a group that includes international students, people here on work permits and asylum claimants – now comprise 6.8 per cent of the total population, up from 3.5 per cent two years ago, Statistics Canada reported on Wednesday.
Over all, the population grew by roughly 243,000 or 0.6 per cent during the first quarter, bringing the total to more than 41 million.
Now, the federal government is trying to curtail migration. In March, Ottawa announced that it would reduce temporary residents to 5 per cent of the total population over the next three years, setting targets on this group for the first time. The plans will be outlined in the fall, alongside the usual targets for permanent resident admissions.
The federal government is sharply reducing the number of study visas that it approves this year, and a cap will be set for 2025 as well. Ottawa is also limiting work visas for spouses of international students, among other changes focused on higher education.
Canada has increasingly moved to a two-step immigration system, wherein people first work or study on temporary permits, then seek permanent residency. This TR-to-PR transition is one way in which the federal government can reduce the pool of temporary residents. Ottawa is targeting the admission of 485,000 permanent residents this year, which rises to 500,000 annually in 2025 and 2026.

This other part of the policy (down below)is often open to 'circumvention' by declarations of "need" that manipulate the numbers. I know of several citizens that have lost jobs to the "outsourced".

The federal government has made it easier for Canadian companies to hire foreign workers in various ways. For example, employers in most industries can now hire up to 20 per cent of their staff through the low-wage stream of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, up from a previous 10-per-cent cap.

Now, the federal government is trying to curtail migration. In March, Ottawa announced that it would reduce temporary residents to 5 per cent of the total population over the next three years, setting targets on this group for the first time. The plans will be outlined in the fall, alongside the usual targets for permanent resident admissions.

ea26336c-5b63-42e6-a688-d25a0d4d9243_text.gif

Liberal-speak. Reads: the pre election campaign campaigning will start in the Fall. We will have to hire some outside consultants friend$ to analyze and then recommend a plan, which could take 18-24 months. Nothing will actually be done to curtail the onslaught (of new voters/taxpayers). Orwell would tip his hat.

Last edited:
Typical of Canada's woke-till-yer-broke TV station(s), CITY TV. Article with suspect immigration stats and an old stock "whitewashed" pic from the net supposedly depicting Canadians. Moses must be spinning in his grave.

From the Globe and Mail and C D Howe institute.

The number of temporary residents in Canada swelled to 2.8 million in the first quarter, underscoring the challenge facing a federal government that is looking to restrict migration to the country.
Temporary residents – a group that includes international students, people here on work permits and asylum claimants – now comprise 6.8 per cent of the total population, up from 3.5 per cent two years ago, Statistics Canada reported on Wednesday.
Over all, the population grew by roughly 243,000 or 0.6 per cent during the first quarter, bringing the total to more than 41 million.
The federal government is sharply reducing the number of study visas that it approves this year, and a cap will be set for 2025 as well. Ottawa is also limiting work visas for spouses of international students, among other changes focused on higher education.
Canada has increasingly moved to a two-step immigration system, wherein people first work or study on temporary permits, then seek permanent residency. This TR-to-PR transition is one way in which the federal government can reduce the pool of temporary residents. Ottawa is targeting the admission of 485,000 permanent residents this year, which rises to 500,000 annually in 2025 and 2026.

This other part of the policy (down below)is often open to 'circumvention' by declarations of "need" that manipulate the numbers. I know of several citizens that have lost jobs to the "outsourced".

The federal government has made it easier for Canadian companies to hire foreign workers in various ways. For example, employers in most industries can now hire up to 20 per cent of their staff through the low-wage stream of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, up from a previous 10-per-cent cap.
The count of Temporary Foreign Workers is increasing
03e31558872d915936f75213ce75d02d.jpg

The count of Temporary Foreign Workers is increasing
03e31558872d915936f75213ce75d02d.jpg
And it will continue to do so under any government. Big business has spoken...they can't sacrifice their profits by paying higher wages to Canadians...so bring in 'slaves'.

IIRC I read something recently where the TFW visas are tied to particular jobs / companies. This means that they are effectively slaves that cannot leave an employer as their visa can be revoked.

My cousin came here from Ireland under such a visa. She waited until the moment she got her PR to leave that employer (big bank) and immediately increased her salary 20-30% by jumping ship.

International Student, TFW, are all paths toward PR. Once they get the PR they go to work elsewhere for more money, so then there's more students and TFW required...the snowball just accelerates.

And it will continue to do so under any government. Big business has spoken...they can't sacrifice their profits by paying higher wages to Canadians...so bring in 'slaves'.

IIRC I read something recently where the TFW visas are tied to particular jobs / companies. This means that they are effectively slaves that cannot leave an employer as their visa can be revoked.

My cousin came here from Ireland under such a visa. She waited until the moment she got her PR to leave that employer (big bank) and immediately increased her salary 20-30% by jumping ship.

International Student, TFW, are all paths toward PR. Once they get the PR they go to work elsewhere for more money, so then there's more students and TFW required...the snowball just accelerates.
It’s a tough situation. I saw some positive results when the doors opened to PSWs a year ago. My dad’s LTC home was short 20 PSWs, about 1/2 their workforce. The jobs pay $48k ($24/hr), and the were all filled with excellent workers.

When used properly, the system helps everyone. Abused the opposite is true.

I've personally seen poorly trained psw's and nurses while i was caring for my wife in hospitals and at home. The nurse in the hospital passed out cold at the sight of some blood, and the psw spent more time on her phone than caring for Sue.

Last edited:
I've personally seen poorly trained psw's and nurses while i was caring for my wife in hospitals and at home. The nurse in the hospital passed out cold at the sight of some blood, and the psw spent more time on her phone than carrying for Sue.
We were a bit luckier. I have to say all but 1 of the many who cared for my dad were exceptional.

Easy solution, if Canada is not for you the exit doors are not locked.

If employers are breaking the law, stiffen enforcement and penalties.

The related gov agencies and the courts.. don't mess around with that kind of stuff.
I know first hand.. that most of those int students get themselves into those situations.. willing.
Because of some recent law changes.. I know of some companies that are "cleaning up".. ditching sketchy agencies.. putting an end to their exposure to illegal working/workers...
In one specific incident.. a large, well known company "discovered" they had some illegal workers.. mostly international students. 234 of them in total. They were all talked to.. all were offered to be hired by the company.. legally.. and from then on.. that all rules/laws will be followed... 31 signed up and stayed on.. 203 weren't interested and left.

Back
Top Bottom