4k TV 2019 version | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

4k TV 2019 version

they are slightly different models but no big deal I think.

for a little more money and a really good set
check out this 55 in. Sony
I bought one of these last year, very happy with it

top quality 4K panel
very good chipset with refresh rate that keeps up with fast motion
Android OS is really the biggest advantage

the usual Netfix, Prime etc stuff built in
but it plays extremely well with a wireless home network
samba share, DLNA, Plex, VLC....all work flawlessly

also has access to google play to install other stuff
it's basically a big-ass android phone with nice display
and typical Sony, quality hardware

blue tooth connected remote with voice search is a bit of a show stopper

for a little more money and a really good set
check out this 55 in. Sony
I bought one of these last year, very happy with it

top quality 4K panel
very good chipset with refresh rate that keeps up with fast motion
Android OS is really the biggest advantage

the usual Netfix, Prime etc stuff built in
but it plays extremely well with a wireless home network
samba share, DLNA, Plex, VLC....all work flawlessly

also has access to google play to install other stuff
it's basically a big-ass android phone with nice display
and typical Sony, quality hardware

blue tooth connected remote with voice search is a bit of a show stopper

[/URL]
I think the smart stuff has been around for a while, it's demystified and cheap for most TV makers. My old Plasma 55 is still faster and offers more speed, depth, sharpness and contrast than any LED I have seen yet. It's speed that bothers me the most, LEDs simply decay too slowly so you're always going to have a trail behind fast moving objects - OK for slow sports like soccer and baseball -- quite annoying for football and hockey. It's not smart TV however a $25 android box and Broadlink remote fixed that.

yup, smart has been around for awhile
but they are not all created equal

Sony/Android is, for me being an Android geek
the most complete solution

I've got an LG smart here as well - fairly new
runs ancient WebOS, poor functionality
no samba, need to run a DLNA server on the NAS for it = poor quality transcoding
the built in Plex client is buggy - prolly because the TV has a slow processor and little RAM

I like that the only cable to the back of the Sony is a power cord
also accepts USB KB and mouse - for browser use
tidy installation - and no external box required

so if you're into wireless home networking of media
there's more to consider than just how the picture looks

yup, smart has been around for awhile
but they are not all created equal

Sony/Android is, for me being an Android geek
the most complete solution

I've got an LG smart here as well - fairly new
runs ancient WebOS, poor functionality
no samba, need to run a DLNA server on the NAS for it = poor quality transcoding
the built in Plex client is buggy - prolly because the TV has a slow processor and little RAM

I like that the only cable to the back of the Sony is a power cord
also accepts USB KB and mouse - for browser use
tidy installation - and no external box required

so if you're into wireless home networking of media
there's more to consider than just how the picture looks
I have a Vizio smart TV (~2006) and a few modern sony's. Netflix app on the vizio looks like it did a decade ago (horrendous, no users, no continue watching, etc). It is probably dead now after the last netflix update. Personally, I won't pay much for the "smart" features as I know they get out of date much faster than the TV. Replace a chromecast every few years for $50 and you have the newest and best. I don't avoid smart tv's though (the sony's are being used as computer monitors, so the smart features are almost never used).

Reactions: J_F
Ummm how do they "get out of date" ...it's a software update. :unsure:

Your Roku should update automatically when it is turned on and connected, but you can also check for updates manually. You can check for software updateson your Roku in the Settings menu, by choosing "System update" in the "System" section.

Ummm how do they "get out of date" ...it's a software update. :unsure:
If you are replying to me, companies stop supporting hardware quite quickly in my experience. Yes it is just a software update, but someone still needs to package and issue it.

Modern smart TV's with android should make this a little better. It will still go wrong when a new version of the desired software doesn't run on the android version of the tv (and I have close to zero faith that a manufacturer will issue an update to a newer version of android, even cell phone manufacturers suck at this and their volumes are probably an order of magnitude higher).

We have an original ipad that is almost completely useless at this point. All apps you want to use require you to run the latest version to access the service/work at all. IOS cannot be updated to a level that will allow installation of the required app version. Now you are left with a pretty brick. It's highest and best use at this point is probably a digital photo frame.

After reading all this, you make me happy with my 50" 1080p tv

Maybe if i upsize in tvs ill consider making the jump to 4k but for now i can't be bothered..and even my wife hates smoother framerates... we are the children of cathodic, no remote, 13-channel antenna tv era
The good ol days

After reading all this, you make me happy with my 50" 1080p tv
Yup, I have the same trouble-free 50" plasma and looking for a smart 65" upgrade and they all seem the same to me.

I like LG display panels, but do NOT like that they switched to webOS ~ 5 years ago
not sure what your desired use is - streaming services are fine - Netflix, Prime etc....
integration into a wireless home network as a media player is terrible
does not support samba share, so you have to setup a DLNA server and everything is transcoded=degraded

I have no cable/sat TV so most of my video content is served to the TV's from a NAS - wirelessly
so networking compatibility/performance is extremely important to me, others maybe not

no idea how Roku system plays in this scenario

I like LG display panels, but do NOT like that they switched to webOS ~ 5 years ago
not sure what your desired use is - streaming services are fine - Netflix, Prime etc....
integration into a wireless home network as a media player is terrible
does not support samba share, so you have to setup a DLNA server and everything is transcoded=degraded

I have no cable/sat TV so most of my video content is served to the TV's from a NAS - wirelessly
so networking compatibility/performance is extremely important to me, others maybe not

no idea how Roku system plays in this scenario
No cable or sat here either. We use a old Appletv box just for Netflix/Prime/Youtube which is all the tv gets used for so if the tv gets rid of that old box it's a plus. We'll wire tv into the avr for proper audio.

Reactions: J_F
No cable or sat here either. We use a old Appletv box just for Netflix/Prime/Youtube which is all the tv gets used for so if the tv gets rid of that old box it's a plus. We'll wire tv into the avr for proper audio.

for $50 more BB has a Sony of the same size
Android OS is a big plus - excellent functionality and regular updates
so it's less likely that a few years down the road some of the built in apps will become dead

edit: if you read around there's lots of info on apps losing support
Netflix has killed the app on certain roku players - don't know about the embedded OS
and on millions of old Samsung smart TV's
bad deal

Last edited:
for $50 more BB has a Sony of the same size
Android OS is a big plus - excellent functionality and regular updates
so it's less likely that a few years down the road some of the built in apps will become dead

[/URL]

edit: if you read around there's lots of info on apps losing support
Netflix has killed the app on certain roku players - don't know about the embedded OS
and on millions of old Samsung smart TV's
bad deal
It's sold out.

Prices on the
TCL 55R617-CA 4K Ultra HD Smart LED Television (2019), 55

back up to $849

Lots of choices in that range.

Sold my 2017 49" for $250 after paying $478 in 2017 ...happy with that value.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom