4k TV 2019 version | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

4k TV 2019 version

Just don't give it your wifi password. It doesn't matter what it tries to monitor if it has no way to phone home. Obviously this isn't quite this clean if CSIS/CSEC is interested in you, but if they are, you have far bigger problems than your choice of TV.
LOL, my comment was made in jest and the reply back(s) gave me a laugh on this grey winter day.
:)
On a more serious note, the smart TVs give the said manufacturers a chance to vaccuum up your viewing habits and the data is valuable to the advertising industry.
I don't think CSIS cares what you watch unless you are a person of interest just returning from a certain middle-east region, then they may plumb into your personal activity.

"four wheels good, two wheels better"

I want to upgrade my only TV (bought 10 years ago, 40") and I have noticed there is a huge difference in price between 65" and 70". I would like a 70-75" as I have a pretty big living room, do you guys think it's worth waiting for them to drop in price? Or should I just get a 65" as I have been making do with a 40" up till now.

like GG said, take some time and look really close at the big ones

personally for me, 55 in. the sweet spot for pic quality, size, and price
can get a high end unit that size and not break the bank

large displays can also can struggle with motion - can be quite visible in sports
an 80 inch panel needs to have very fast refresh processing rate
or you're going to see motion blur

most of the low end sets try to offset the slow refresh with software fixes
again, not good for sports or games with fast motion

I find some freinds with LARGE screens , the veiwing experience is hard on the eyes, its TOO big a screen for the room. Is there a ratio for how far away you should sit? 8ft away from a 65" TV I find uncomfortable.

I told the wife Zukerburg was listening to everything we say, she laughed, Alexa laughed, Siri laughed.....

Most people sit too far away on 4k TVs ....ideally you want the save viewing field as an iMax screen.
I'm 30"-36 from my 55"

this is good advice.

It's a lot easier to move your seating in most cases.

But do look for HDR and Dolby as features. Watching Disney stream on the latest productions ....or the BBC Planet Earth on Netflix is astonishing....even a big jump from two years ago.

hmm...time to upgrade my 27" tube TV?
...I watch everything on my monitor anyways. TV just for the kids gaming system....and the VHS player.

Mac, does your 49" have VGA input?

Really? You sit 2.5 feet away from a 55" TV? ?

4k TV sure - a 55" 4k is like looking out a window - does it matter how close you sit to a window? You cannot see the pixels. So you want an FoV near to iMax to be fully immersive

IMAX-like experience - native 16:9 screen (commercial = 1.43:1 - 1.9:1): between 60deg - 80deg (IMAX mid-point = 70deg)

I sit 2.5 feet away from my 15" laptop screen...
seen your eye doctor lately?

A retina or 4k laptop can be fully immersive at 12" with a near iMax FoV as I'm doing now on a 14" wide screen ( not diagonal )

a 55" TV is 44" wide. 30-36" is perfectly fine viewing and if you are an unbeliever drop by and I'll show you.

1576826060762.png

Ads?? No idea what you are talking about ...hardware doesn't have "ads" - streaming services do and ROKU is not restricted to TCL.
If you have a subscription there are no ads and even Youtube without a subscription you can still skip the ad just as you do on a computer.

I read TCL TVs have ads that cannot be disabled, that true?

No not true. On mine if you watch their hosted streaming channels they will have ads if you aren't a subscriber. That's fair game because the bills have to be paid somehow.

As for size, anything over 65" is a rip-off. But...in my experience the 75-90" screens definitely give you a better "movie theatre" experience. I didn't go that big this time because the Sharp I had only lasted 5 years and damned if I was going to replace a $1700 TV that often. This 65" TCL only cost me $600, great picture, great software and I'm out a lot less if it breaks. But if you're feeling spendy the 80" is the way to go.

Ads?? No idea what you are talking about ...hardware doesn't have "ads" - streaming services do and ROKU is not restricted to TCL.
If you have a subscription there are no ads and even Youtube without a subscription you can still skip the ad just as you do on a computer.
I'm not talking about streaming services. I read that TCL TVs have ads in the home menu. Here is an example: https://www.rtings.com/images/reviews/tv/tcl/r617/r617-ads-large.jpg

You're saying your TCL tv does not have ads as pictured there?

no ads

_1350808.JPG

If you click on CBS for instance an ad for one of their shows will pop up on the right but that's not really an issue...I subscribe to CBS.

Last edited:
I'm hoping this one goes on sale for Boxing Day.

a0f110557fed8e02d0e1cb648b3c30ee.jpg

Reactions: J_F

Back
Top Bottom