4k TV 2019 version | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

4k TV 2019 version

I'm hoping this one goes on sale for Boxing Day.

a0f110557fed8e02d0e1cb648b3c30ee.jpg
Bah, 8k. That is next level early adopter. The tv will have died before 8k content is available (and at that point, the tv's will look better and be 10% of the price).

A retina or 4k laptop can be fully immersive at 12" with a near iMax FoV as I'm doing now on a 14" wide screen ( not diagonal )

seen your eye doctor lately?

LOL! *Me* see an eye doctor? What kind of bizzarro logic is that? *You're* the one sitting 12" from your 14" monitor...

Jeez, at that distance, your head is practically resting on the backs of your hands when they're on the keyboard!

And *I'm* the one that needs an eye doctor?

Dying of laughter!

I already have glasses for near field..my computer is a bit farther away than a book.
BTW I have 20 15 vision otherwise....just got tested as I had a floater.
If you are sitting typing on a laptop you are no more than 15-16" from the screen unless you are Wilt Chamberlain. And yes I measured it. If your hands are on the keyboard the screen is about 6" further than reading.

Second monitor is 20-24" and I still use my computer glasses for that and the laptop. Reading glasses with the shorter focal point I only use for reading.

Computer glasses are prescription glasses that are designed to wear when doing computer work. They allow you to focus your eyes on a computer screen, which is farther away than reading material is normally held.

55" is 30-36" away and it's just on the edge of the computer glasses ( when working on it ) or just normal distance vision when watching media.....as I mentioned ...like looking out of a window. Could not go higher than 55" or it would have to be further away than the computer glasses will focus.

I don't think you've measured your distance to your laptop screen ....or you are in denial like one of my staff who refuses the reading glasses he obviously needs.
:giggle:

Bah, 8k. That is next level early adopter. The tv will have died before 8k content is available (and at that point, the tv's will look better and be 10% of the price).

"8K UHD" I love the title lol.

There are no 4K TV's today. 4K is a standard @ 4096x2160. What we really have is UHD TV's @ 3840x2160 the industry loves to term as 4K. Regardless of the output resolution/bit depth most TV sets are input electronics limited, e.g. (HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.1, etc) which mostly run at 10.X Gbps. 4K requires 12 Gbps @ 60 fps @ 8-bit of colour per pixel. HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.2 will expand this, but are not common place yet. The terms UHD and 4K are used interchangeably, but incorrectly so. Cinema (and other) projectors are true 4K, and have been for 15+ years. All cinemas that show hollywood films are required to use top spec projection units (that meet DCI requirements or better). The vast majority are based on Texas Instruments 3-chip DLP which is currently limited to 4K resolution. As of today, TI has no plans that I am aware of for producing 8K DMD's (chips). Wobulated 8K (a 4K DMD that takes up 4 separate positions) showed up 3 years ago, but isn't a slam dunk. "Faux-k" (wobulated HD) has shown up in cheaper projection units sold at big box stores and lower end commercial, claiming 4K, bit they are lying and frankly the image quality is crap compared to true 4K.

Semantics aside, Why is there no 8K DLP plans? Japan is planning on broadcasting the olympics in 8K as a technology push, but there is a significant amount of infrastructure required for it. Fortunately as we move to Video over IP (the industry is slow to adopt), this becomes easier to acquire higher bandwidth without the need for purpose built hardware.

Let's take a step back first. So if 8K is the next big thing, why is there so little 4K content today from major studios available at home given every cinema film is 4K? Minus YouTube, go-pro footage and the like, it's actually hard to find.

Cost. 4 years ago when "4K" TV's were hitting the mainstream market, the natural question of when studios were going to make 4K content available to the masses was posed. The answer? "We're not". The audience gasp, a few heart-attacks ensued, but the reality is 4K takes up 4x the space for studios, who keep all raw original footage. They often actually capture content in much higher bit depth (up to 16 bits) per colour, hence why they can release re-mastered content years down the road, as TV sets catch up.

The reality is, human eyes suck at distinguishing colour and resolution, but are adept at distinguishing light levels (in particular light level changes). Cinema went to rec 2020 (wider colour gamet, in particular with lasers) recently, which looks good, bit it is only a small improvement (IMO). Did you notice? Probably not. Think of how quickly your eyes notice a very short flash of light. It's a survival trait. Most people cannot distinguish 4K and 8K on a television set. HDR is cheaper (adding 2/4 bits to a standard 8-bit pixel) and more impactful than quadrupling the number of pixels (and thus data). 4K and 8K will come, in due time.

So HDR (more specifically HDR10) to the rescue. Unlike 4K/UHD, HDR is not itself a standard. It is a general term (High Dynamic range), implemented in various ways by different manufacturers. Currently there is much squabbling to see who's variant will be the format standard. So just buying an HDR set today is not necessarily good enough, rather which HDR variant is it using.

Should you buy a HDR compliant TV? I'll admit, I'm a fan, but until the format is settled, and content is HDR capable with newer compression standards, there isn't much value in paying an early premium. Notice that any YouTube, Netflix, and the like content is actually quite soft in appearance? Common compression standards (e.g. H.265/VP9) are typically 8-bit limited by hardware decoders and will be the enemy for a while yet.

Last edited:
"8K UHD" I love the title lol.

There are no 4K TV's today. 4K is a standard @ 4096x2160. What we really have is UHD TV's @ 3840x2160 the industry loves to term as 4K. Regardless of the output resolution/bit depth most TV sets are input electronics limited, e.g. (HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.1, etc) which mostly run at 10.X Gbps. 4K requires 12 Gbps @ 60 fps @ 8-bit of colour per pixel. HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.2 will expand this, but are not common place yet. The terms UHD and 4K are used interchangeably, but incorrectly so. Cinema (and other) projectors are true 4K, and have been for 15+ years. All cinemas that show hollywood films are required to use top spec projection units (that meet DCI requirements or better). The vast majority are based on Texas Instruments 3-chip DLP which is currently limited to 4K resolution. As of today, TI has no plans that I am aware of for producing 8K DMD's (chips). Wobulated 8K (a 4K DMD that takes up 4 separate positions) showed up 3 years ago, but isn't a slam dunk. "Faux-k" (wobulated HD) has shown up in cheaper projection units sold at big box stores and lower end commercial, claiming 4K, bit they are lying and frankly the image quality is crap compared to true 4K.

Semantics aside, Why is there no 8K DLP plans? Japan is planning on broadcasting the olympics in 8K as a technology push, but there is a significant amount of infrastructure required for it. Fortunately as we move to Video over IP (the industry is slow to adopt), this becomes easier to acquire higher bandwidth without the need for purpose built hardware.

Let's take a step back first. So if 8K is the next big thing, why is there so little 4K content today from major studios available at home given every cinema film is 4K? Minus YouTube, go-pro footage and the like, it's actually hard to find.

Cost. 4 years ago when "4K" TV's were hitting the mainstream market, the natural question of when studios were going to make 4K content available to the masses was posed. The answer? "We're not". The audience gasp, a few heart-attacks ensued, but the reality is 4K takes up 4x the space for studios, who keep all raw original footage. They often actually capture content in much higher bit depth (up to 16 bits) per colour, hence why they can release re-mastered content years down the road, as TV sets catch up.

The reality is, human eyes suck at distinguishing colour and resolution, but are adept at distinguishing light levels (in particular light level changes). Cinema went to rec 2020 (wider colour gamet, in particular with lasers) recently, which looks good, bit it is only a small improvement (IMO). Did you notice? Probably not. Think of how quickly your eyes notice a very short flash of light. It's a survival trait. We notice brightness much more than we do colour or spacial resolution. Most people cannot distinguish 4K and 8K on a television set. HDR is cheaper (adding 2/4 bits to a standard 8-bit pixel) and more impactful than quadrupling the number of pixels (and thus data). 4K and 8K will come, in due time.

So HDR (more specifically HDR10) to the rescue. Unlike 4K/UHD, HDR is not itself a standard. It is a general term (High Dynamic range), implemented in various ways by different manufacturers. Currently there is much squabbling to see who's variant will be the format standard. So just buying an HDR set today is not necessarily good enough, rather which HDR variant is it using.

Should you buy a HDR compliant TV? I'll admit, I'm a fan, but until the format is settled, and content is HDR capable with newer compression standards, there isn't much value in paying an early premium. Notice that any YouTube, Netflix, and the like content is actually quite soft in appearance? Common compression standards (e.g. H.265/VP9) are typically 8-bit limited by hardware decoders and will be the enemy for a while yet.
Good write up. The only thing I would possibly change is for the 100" tv linked above, 8k may be a benefit over 4k (assuming the content existed). Everything over 65" looks like utter crap at 1080, I havent looked at 100" 4k to see if it has enough pixels to get the job done. I wholehearted agree with you for 80" and down.

That's a fair point.

After a certain size, 4K will break down and look to HD what HD looks to SD if the throw ratio (viewing distance to screen size) is not maintained. Even on a 40 foot screen at a theater, if you sit in the front row, 8K would still look terrible.

You hit the nail on the head, if the content was there. For 8K, we have 4X the pixels, but still no more image information with a 4K signal. We are effectively guessing at the values for 3 of every 4 pixels. (Technically speaking, this is sub-sampling through interpolation). Similar to when you watch SD on a HD TV. Does it look better? A bit because we show more pixels, but the artifacts become pronounced. Is there any more picture information? Actually there isn't, but we are forcing some pixels to take a guess at what they should be. Match the signal resolution to the display resolution. Most content is already 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 (colour) subsampled (e.g. 4 luminance values, one per pixel, but only one colour for every 2 or 4 pixels to share) to begin with, which means we are no longer guessing at the colour of every 3 pixels, but possibly twice that). The signal is further compressed (from the source, typically lossy) before it even arrives to the display.

Everyone focuses on the display, but actually its the lowest-common-denominator in the delivery pipeline that holds the experience back. If you're leaking image information at each step, don't expect good results at the end.

A tip: watch out at the stores, they will set TV's to max drives to make the colours "look good", but are really just over-saturated. When you find one you want to buy, stand in front of it for a full hour, as though you were watching a show, then make your choice. I recommend fiddling with the buttons and see if they have this mode turned on (sometimes called "demo mode") in the menu. They will turn it on for the pricier TV's to make them "look better", but its actually hard on the eyes over a long period of time and you loose colour fidelity (bit-depth).

Last edited:
Reactions: J_F
Oh... and one more. For the love of god please everyone, don't get roped into "premium cables" (e.g. Monster, gold plated, etc) @ lunacy prices for digital connections (analog is different) for a TV at home. A digital signal is discrete, it either makes it or it does not. Pretty much any 6 foot $10-$20 cable is good enough.

Last edited:
Some corrections due. Distinction between
4096x2160. What we really have is UHD TV's @ 3840x2160
is meaningless in the real world.

Most theatres are NOT 4k ....they are 2k tho this may have changed recently.

The resolution war: is cinema falling behind home entertainment
https://www.screendaily.com › features › 5124023.article

1. Nov 7, 2017 - 4K has not become the dominant format as many in the industry hoped. ... Back to parent navigation item; North America; Toronto · AFM · Sundance .... with the highestpenetration of 4K digital projection are the US (40%), ... Some cinema owners report frustration at having to play 2K movies on 4K screens.

8k and 6k is useful for media production ....thoughts from those with 8k home cinema say the upgrade is marginal...even with 85" screens but there some colour advantages....more pixels.

5g is going to mess things up.

I agree that HDR10, Dolby Cinema etc are more easily percieived but that really only applies to those that are watching 1950s style from across the room. Many people do watch their screens from too far away. Most media is being produced for and watched on near field gear.

The biggest factor is there is simply no reason on earth to buy an HD set at this point in time as 4k screens cost the same and are being produced in huge numbers and good is cheap ....in fact great is cheap.

Phones and laptops and pads are moving into 2k/4k and HDR ...it's fantastic and all of my my visual media clients are filming in 6 and 8k and outputting in 4k.
Delivery speeds for the higher resolution is a barrier that is falling with wide penetration and 5g is coming tho perhaps not as soon as the industry is touting.

My position all along is that if your current media viewing set up works for you....stick with it unless you want an upgrade.
What ever you do do not buy old technology.

Best TVs in 2019 - CNET
https://www.cnet.com › news › best-tvs-in-2019

1. Dec 4, 2019 - No TV I've ever tested offers this much picture quality for this little cash. The latest version of the TCL 6-Series has even better image quality than its predecessor, ...

HDR and Dolby is offering easily visible advantages IF you have the viewing set that has enough brightness ....4k is a given...HDR level brightness while maintaining deep blacks is a tricky technology trick....TCL has mastered it for a low price.

OLED is better for blacks, twice the price or more and struggles getting to 1,000 nits. I thought OLED was the best future tech but now think micro-LED ...still a couple years out will prevail.

Good is cheap, even great is cheap and the content is there some of which can take your breath away.

These need to be watched in Chrome as it allows access to the higher resolution.

Last edited:
My 12 yr old Panasonic plasma had a weird vertical line in it last night. Might be time for a new one. I'll be pm'ng for advice soon.

Ya. I'm not that kind of shopper.

Energy savings alone make a good case for plasma upgrade.
I love my 10 year old plasma LG55. Dispite it's age it still looks better than my LED TVs (75" Samsung QLED 75" & Sharp Aquos 65") for sports and high action stuff.

I love my 10 year old plasma LG55. Dispite it's age it still looks better than my LED TVs (75" Samsung QLED 75" & Sharp Aquos 65") for sports and high action stuff.
There is no doubt that they are awesome for certain situations. In my use case, those situations are a small percentage of the time. For a home theater setup where you are paying attention a plasma is great, but the TV in the main part of our house is most often playing kids crap (by most often, I mean always, I have never sat down and watched that tv).

Watching the Juniors on my Viera plasma right now. Natural picture and zero motion blur. I watch a lot of racing and don't care if it's a couple of bucks more a month to run it.

Last edited:
Just in time for fake boxing day sales!

The sales are pathetic this year.

One of the best times to buy is towards the end of January after the CES and the manufacturers have announced/started shipping their new models and the Superbowl is coming up.

$499 @ Bestbuy

Back
Top Bottom