2024 Demo Days | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2024 Demo Days

Here it is - going?
ac673cbacccb97341c6ca9e8cb723e7d.jpg
Not me, I've ridden everything I want to until the new 450s show up. Last year it was very busy, get there early if you can to sign up.

Not a bad turnout (smaller crowd than the last Perth County Moto bike night though)
Test rode 2 bikes before deciding to imbibe. My buddies did a third demo and likely could have done a fourth but it was time for beer and a free supper. Can't beat that. They give you a new bike to introduce to the revlimiter and then for your troubles you get a free meal!!

Rode my old SOHC up and it was drawing a lot of attention. The owner of OVC came and complimented me on it before he got out his phone to show me pictures of him racing one back in the day.

Kawi and Bmw were at the Mosport round. The 60kph speed limits around the park and damp weather had me watching racing rather than plunking about on a bike I won't buy.

Personally, that’s the kind of event I’d rather see from bike brands - more festival/flea market/food kind of vibe than test riding.

I get that test rides are supposed to spark desire and get their product added to the shortlist, but if a buyer is serious about purchasing a new model, they’ll go to the dealer and ride *one.* They don’t ride what they’re looking for and then multiple others not even in their consideration set. All demo rides do is satisfy curiosity, or check off bucket lists.

It’s the “something to do with other people” that I think most riders are looking for. Maybe the major brands need to collabo with third party organizers and get behind a Honsuzikawiaha Pollooza fest and really kill it - can’t miss events that become highlights on the calendar.

I used to manage demo days in the ski and high-end bicycle segments - mostly tire kickers; people looking to rock high status equipment for awhile; and some just looking for an excuse to thrash somebody else’s good stuff because they’d already wrecked the hell out their own equipment.

I can say though, that I did once demo a competitor’s ski at their demo day and was so over the moon about them that I bought a pair after giving them back. So…?

Last edited:
Different events often had 3 or even 4 manufacturers all doing demo rides at the same time but lately I havn't seen more than two at same event.

Different events often had 3 or even 4 manufacturers all doing demo rides at the same time but lately I havn't seen more than two at same event.

Right? A rising tide raises all ships. Either the marketing departments have forgotten the opportunity cost value of collaboration to reach a wider audience and bring something “bigger” and unmissable to them, or the money just isn’t there anymore and everyone is leaning on digital to do the work for them…

While I had the Ducati in for service at Apex Cycle in Cambridge I took a 2025 Sport Scout and then a new Sport Chief 116 out for a demo ride as I consider what will 1 day replace my aging 2012 Thunderbird.

That Scout's water-cooled 1250 engine is a peach and I preferred it over the Chief's air-cooled 116 which is just too vibey as you get up in the rpm.

I'm keeping the Thunderbird but it's always good to test-ride something else to make you appreciate what you have more.

Rumors are Indian is putting their water-cooled Power Plus engine in other bikes (Chief & Chieftain lines) in a year or 2 ... now THAT will be worth a test-ride (TQ and HP together!).

While I had the Ducati in for service at Apex Cycle in Cambridge I took a 2025 Sport Scout and then a new Sport Chief 116 out for a demo ride as I consider what will 1 day replace my aging 2012 Thunderbird.

That Scout's water-cooled 1250 engine is a peach and I preferred it over the Chief's air-cooled 116 which is just too vibey as you get up in the rpm.

I'm keeping the Thunderbird but it's always good to test-ride something else to make you appreciate what you have more.

Rumors are Indian is putting their water-cooled Power Plus engine in other bikes (Chief & Chieftain lines) in a year or 2 ... now THAT will be worth a test-ride (TQ and HP together!).
From all accounts the Power Plus is/was not well received compared to the Thunderstroke in the current Chieftain lineup.

The PowerPlus is not yet in the current Chieftain (just the air-cooled ThunderStroke 111 and the 116) but rumors say it's coming.

The PP is currently only in the Challenger/Pursuit models (competes with HD Road Glide with a frame-mounted fairing).

The PP is overall a better engine than the TS but you may lose some air-cooled "character" to get the power & refinement.

The PowerPlus is not yet in the current Chieftain (just the air-cooled ThunderStroke 111 and the 116) but rumors say it's coming.

The PP is currently only in the Challenger/Pursuit models (competes with HD Road Glide with a frame-mounted fairing).

The PP is overall a better engine than the TS but you may lose some air-cooled "character" to get the power & refinement.
I'm aware, what i'm saying is; many people who've ridden both currently prefer both the sound and power delivery of the Thunderstroke.

Reactions: LBV
I'm aware, what i'm saying is; many people who've ridden both currently prefer both the sound and power delivery of the Thunderstroke.
Gotcha, although there are fans of both from what I've read and seen online ... I was going to take a Challenger out but it's more bike than I really need and I think I prefer the option of no windshield or windshield so the bikes with fairings are out ... although that may change in the future.

Back
Top Bottom