2020 Day Trips! | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2020 Day Trips!

Anyone using roadcurvature to find twisties?

Thanks - my rotator cuff is torn ...the doc did not think surgery would help initially and I was managing it with Celebrex and an annual shot of corticosteroids which were magic early on.
Happened to me too, mine was a hockey injury 10 years ago. I’ve had my fair share of injuries, that was the most nagging. Surgery was an option but back then it was 3 weeks sleeping in a chair with a foam triangle lashed to your torso. Then 6 mos of rehab and a year to return to normal. I said no.

Mine progressed to Frozen Shoulder syndrome. That was excruciating for 2 years, then it quickly went away and I have been pain free since. Full rotation and the rotator cuff physio afterward fixed that problem too— without surgery. I can no longer take the risk of golf, baseball or hockey but riding is pain and fatigue free.

Thanks - hope for me yet. I'll ask about rotator cuff physio ...once I can get an appointment. Mine is complicated with diagnosed carpal tunnel :( .

Last edited:
Tore my rotator cuff 5 years ago due to repetitive strain injury at work.
Nothing was working to get it to heal properly, then started doing yoga every day and all pain gone and full range of motion returned. Took a lot of discipline and effort.

Tore my rotator cuff 5 years ago due to repetitive strain injury at work.
Nothing was working to get it to heal properly, then started doing yoga every day and all pain gone and full range of motion returned. Took a lot of discipline and effort.
I think yoga fixes a lot of things. My eldest son is a pretty good athlete who plays virtually every sport that has a ball or disk - well.

At 27 he was resigned to lawn bowling and mini putt due to chronic knee and groin connective tissue injuries. Ohip physio was a joke, once a week for a few stretchies. He started serious yoga training last year and is now back to his old form. Down 50 lbs and back to shooting 80.

He is a young man and it works for him. Not my cup of tea, I found a great sports injury physio, for me and my other son this has been magic compared to Ohip. I find they are very targeted in their rehab program, increased frequency of visits seems to speed up the healing too.

The final part of the picture is my octogenarian family doctor. He has an old school respect for pharmalogical pain control which comes in handy after things like solstice day rides.

It's so nice out right now it's almost stupid if you don't go riding.

Having said that :unsure:guess I better go suit up
maybe if I pop a couple of Ibuprofen tabs, those will start to kick in about the same time as the pain

I think yoga fixes a lot of things. My eldest son is a pretty good athlete who plays virtually every sport that has a ball or disk - well.

At 27 he was resigned to lawn bowling and mini putt due to chronic knee and groin connective tissue injuries. Ohip physio was a joke, once a week for a few stretchies. He started serious yoga training last year and is now back to his old form. Down 50 lbs and back to shooting 80.

He is a young man and it works for him. Not my cup of tea, I found a great sports injury physio, for me and my other son this has been magic compared to Ohip. I find they are very targeted in their rehab program, increased frequency of visits seems to speed up the healing too.

The final part of the picture is my octogenarian family doctor. He has an old school respect for pharmalogical pain control which comes in handy after things like solstice day rides.
I agree that OHIP physio can be pretty bad. I've had only one experience with it and I was pretty disappointed. I did have a better experience with the year long physio that occurred after a bike accident and was arranged by my insurer.

I do see a Physio/Osteo and he is really good. I am also lucky that my wife is an RMT/Osteo/Yoga teacher.

While working from home hasn't given me the COVID 15 that many get, I am definitely not in good shape compared to mid March when I was working out daily. It really goes a long way to being able to do long rides and feeling alert and not in pain.

I'm finding I really need to ride as close to daily as I can even if it's up to the Forks for coffee and a sandwich. This layoff from Australia - over a year now really has knocked back my endurance.
Kidney belt helps, Beemer Buddies, cramp busters and a throttle lock plus Moto Skivvies and Airhawk. The Vario lip has also helped with neck getting sore. We'll see. ?

Night trip!! Just wandering around in the City
oeWcLDZ.jpg

sV5lfyN.jpg

Surgery was an option but back then it was 3 weeks sleeping in a chair with a foam triangle lashed to your torso. Then 6 mos of rehab and a year to return to normal. I said no.

That's the surgery I had. Speaking as someone who's also had a C1/C2 cervical spinal fusion, I honestly think I'd rather have another spinal fusion before having another shoulder surgery - it suuuuuuuuuuuccccked.

I had to sleep in a chair for almost a month. That triggered another stupid medical thing I have (Meralgia paresthetica, Google it...oh the joys of waking up screaming in agony at 3AM) before I finally couldn't handle it anymore and managed to find a way to get comfortable in bed with the help of my wife to prop up everything just right with pillows. Between that and they Oxy I could finally lay on my back again.

But I followed every doctors order to a Tee including the giant foam brace strapped to my chest and not using the arm AT ALL (you can't even activate any muscles above the elbow for fear of destroying the repair) for 1.5 of those 4 months, and then intensive physio 4 times a week - was super lucky my wife had unlimited physio coverage at work at that time.

Returned to work at about the 4.5 month mark and it's been super awesome since.

Ironically I may be heading towards surgery on my other shoulder now (surgeon appt next week, was supposed to be in March but was cancelled due to Covid) but it's significantly less painful versus my other shoulder was. Partial thickness vs full thickness tear, however....which leads me to:

Mine progressed to Frozen Shoulder syndrome. That was excruciating for 2 years, then it quickly went away and I have been pain free since. Full rotation and the rotator cuff physio afterward fixed that problem too— without surgery. I can no longer take the risk of golf, baseball or hockey but riding is pain and fatigue free.

You were lucky, it wasn't a full thickness tear then, just a partial. A full thickness tear will never heal without surgery as the two ends of the tendon physically pull away from each other so far that healing is physically impossible - they need to be pulled back together (or reattached to the bone, as was my situation) before they can heal. A partial thickness, in some situations, can heal on it's own....but on the flipside, a partial thickness tear that doesn't heal or isn't given the opportunity (physical job, etc) can eventually turn into a full thickness, which is why I think I'm leaning towards getting my partial repaired surgically - a partial repair is drastically less painful and with a faster recovery vs the full thickness I had previously.

Now what the hell are you doing to your body to nail both shoulders AND your spine. :eek:

Neck was a congenital thing. Shoulders, back, sciatica, etc etc etc...not so much.

All an unfortunate result of ~20 years with my current employer being a human forklift for far too many years. Now I say "Yeah, not happening" when that sort of work presents itself, but that's easier to do when you've got a lot of tenure. When you're the new guy in a unionized environment trying to get hired on full time, and then scrapping for the first 5-10 years for a decent run amongst the trash, you do what you have to do. And I was young and stupid....everyones invincible at that age.

Paying the piper for all those years now.

Of course WSIB throws their arms up in the air about all of it because they deny anything and everything that is slow onset. When I was off work for months for my first shoulder surgery I had to rely on my STD benefits as WSIB asked "What day/hour/second/position of the earth and stars did you hurt yourself" - when you answer "this came on slowly over several years", yeah, they tell you to take a flying leap as very clearly I tore up both my shoulders sitting around my pool drinking beer, or riding the motorcycles, not struggling to pull or push a trailer load of 4000 pound totes of liquid down the length of a 53 foot trailer, or 1500# Costco playsets up someones driveway, or a 2500# piece of construction equipment off a tailgate into a dirt and somehow magically move it 100 feet to that spot they'd really like it, or a 5-10 2000# pallets of dialysis liquids up a sloped driveway at a house (temporary dialysis centre) and into a shed ...but to name just a few scenarios of thousands over the years.

Nope, you clearly must have trashed your body some other way, sir.

totes.JPG

Great day to get outta the city for a long run!

I have never been along HWY 17 so I was curious what it would be like, not great actually. I was expecting it to be a little closer to the river it wasn't, and not as nice as going through Algonquin either. Also Petawawa was a weird little town, more of a army base I guess.

IMG_4010.jpg

Burk Falls
IMG_3985.jpg

IMG_3989.jpg

Mattawa
IMG_4002.jpg

Somewhere around Petawawa
IMG_4005.jpg

South Baptiste Lake Rd, thanks @shanekingsley
IMG_4009.jpg

Neck was a congenital thing. Shoulders, back, sciatica, etc etc etc...not so much.

All an unfortunate result of ~20 years with my current employer being a human forklift for far too many years. Now I say "Yeah, not happening" when that sort of work presents itself, but that's easier to do when you've got a lot of tenure. When you're the new guy in a unionized environment trying to get hired on full time, and then scrapping for the first 5-10 years for a decent run amongst the trash, you do what you have to do. And I was young and stupid....everyones invincible at that age.

Paying the piper for all those years now.

Of course WSIB throws their arms up in the air about all of it because they deny anything and everything that is slow onset. When I was off work for months for my first shoulder surgery I had to rely on my STD benefits as WSIB asked "What day/hour/second/position of the earth and stars did you hurt yourself" - when you answer "this came on slowly over several years", yeah, they tell you to take a flying leap as very clearly I tore up both my shoulders sitting around my pool drinking beer, or riding the motorcycles, not struggling to pull or push a trailer load of 4000 pound totes of liquid down the length of a 53 foot trailer, or 1500# Costco playsets up someones driveway, or a 2500# piece of construction equipment off a tailgate into a dirt and somehow magically move it 100 feet to that spot they'd really like it, or a 5-10 2000# pallets of dialysis liquids up a sloped driveway at a house (temporary dialysis centre) and into a shed ...but to name just a few scenarios of thousands over the years.

Nope, you clearly must have trashed your body some other way, sir.

View attachment 43637
Exactly the containers the lube for our metal stamping come in, neat!

Eh WTF hand truck? Hello, forklift have we met??!

Great day to get outta the city for a long run!

I have never been along HWY 17 so I was curious what it would be like, not great actually. I was expecting it to be a little closer to the river it wasn't, and not as nice as going through Algonquin either. Also Petawawa was a weird little town, more of a army base I guess.

View attachment 43639

Burk Falls
View attachment 43640

View attachment 43641

Mattawa
View attachment 43642

Somewhere around Petawawa
View attachment 43643

South Baptiste Lake Rd, thanks @shanekingsley
View attachment 43644
Yep Pet. Is a base town, I did my infantry battle school there.

Yep Pet. Is a base town, I did my infantry battle school there.
Where there a lot of fires there? I noticed at least 3 burnt down buildings.
I tried to get to the Military Museum there, just to do a ride by, but I didn't realize it was within the base, which was close to the public. :rolleyes:

Where there a lot of fires there? I noticed at least 3 burnt down buildings.
I tried to get to the Military Museum there, just to do a ride by, but I didn't realize it was within the base, which was close to the public. :rolleyes:
Whew, been a long time! lol

No i don't recall a lot of fires back in the day.

Exactly the containers the lube for our metal stamping come in, neat!

Those totes are a standardized thing. They're used by one company, sent back to a cleaning/refurb depot, and sent back to a different company to use them again and again.

Eh WTF hand truck? Hello, forklift have we met??!

You'd be surprised at how many places don't have forklifts or smaller businesses that may have something with forks but don't have a dock, so the driver needs to lug the **** to the back end first.

This photo was taken somewhere where you'd be very surprised that the driver was requested to haul the stuff to the back. And it was done simply to convenience an employee who preferred a certain location to unload for their own convenience versus the dock a short distance away.

Eventually after torquing my knee and almost having a heat stroke 5 minutes later on one of these loads (45,000# total of product) I stopped being the sucker and told them I wasn't doing it anymore. Now I unload at the dock.

But I'm paid by the hour, so when a business takes offence at the drivers unwillingness to be a human forklift some will slow down to "teach me a lesson" or whatever. IDGAF as I'm paid by the hour and my days of trying to be a hero to impress anyone are long f'ing gone. Another benefit of being unionized as well - other guys in my situation without that level of protection destroy their bodies until retirement for fear of getting back to their terminal at the end of the day and being told they're fired because they refused something.

I want to be able to enjoy retirement at least a little bit considering I'm pretty tore up as it is. I know lots of other guys who are in mobility scooters a year or two after retirement and can't even bend over to put their own socks on.

Some jobs in the industry are far from the "sit in the seat and turn the steering wheel" jobs that some think we do. End mile LTL is brutal sometimes.

Those totes are a standardized thing. They're used by one company, sent back to a cleaning/refurb depot, and sent back to a different company to use them again and again.

You'd be surprised at how many places don't have forklifts or smaller businesses that may have something with forks but don't have a dock, so the driver needs to lug the **** to the back end first.

This photo was taken somewhere where you'd be very surprised that the driver was requested to haul the stuff to the back. And it was done simply to convenience an employee who preferred a certain location to unload for their own convenience versus the dock a short distance away.

Eventually after torquing my knee and almost having a heat stroke 5 minutes later on one of these loads (45,000# total of product) I stopped being the sucker and told them I wasn't doing it anymore. Now I unload at the dock.

But I'm paid by the hour, so when a business takes offence at the drivers unwillingness to be a human forklift some will slow down to "teach me a lesson" or whatever. IDGAF as I'm paid by the hour and my days of trying to be a hero to impress anyone are long f'ing gone. Another benefit of being unionized as well - other guys in my situation without that level of protection destroy their bodies until retirement for fear of getting back to their terminal at the end of the day and being told they're fired because they refused something.

I want to be able to enjoy retirement at least a little bit considering I'm pretty tore up as it is. I know lots of other guys who are in mobility scooters a year or two after retirement and can't even bend over to put their own socks on.

Some jobs in the industry are far from the "sit in the seat and turn the steering wheel" jobs that some think we do. End mile LTL is brutal sometimes.
Most drivers I chat with DGAF, they aren't unloading anywhere but the dock and unless we're talking a few parcel sized boxes hand bombing isn't an option.

Back
Top Bottom