2020 Day Trips! | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2020 Day Trips!

That photo from North Bay looks familiar Sburns. ;)

Snapped this a few years ago on a day ride up there with a few friends.

northbay.jpg

Most drivers I chat with DGAF, they aren't unloading anywhere but the dock and unless we're talking a few parcel sized boxes hand bombing isn't an option.

You just haven't yet met a driver working for a company that's paying either solely by the mile, by the stop, or by the pound.

A lot of bottom feeder cartage companies are now leaning towards this system because it incentivizes the drivers to work like a one armed wallpaper hanger and. And as long as they've got stupid drivers willing to work for these arrangements, companies will still try to do it.

When it all goes well the drivers can actually make great money. But when they get somewhere that there's going to be a delay they'll whine, cry,, scheme, and fall over themselves to try to get unloaded before anyone else....because when they're sitting still they're making squat.

Lets not talk about the safety issues with these pay structures. Ever noticed how the gravel trucks tend to drive? Yeah, paid by the load and by the pound. Driving poorly maintained equipment like total tools, often well over the speed limits, and often overweight? Colour me surprised.

On another note, I'm going back to work the day after Canada Day.

Not sure if I'm happy about that, or not so much.

You just haven't yet met a driver working for a company that's paying either solely by the mile, by the stop, or by the pound.

A lot of bottom feeder cartage companies are now leaning towards this system because it incentivizes the drivers to work like a one armed wallpaper hanger and. And as long as they've got stupid drivers willing to work for these arrangements, companies will still try to do it.

When it all goes well the drivers can actually make great money. But when they get somewhere that there's going to be a delay they'll whine, cry,, scheme, and fall over themselves to try to get unloaded before anyone else....because when they're sitting still they're making squat.

Lets not talk about the safety issues with these pay structures. Ever noticed how the gravel trucks tend to drive? Yeah, paid by the load and by the pound. Driving poorly maintained equipment like total tools, often well over the speed limits, and often overweight? Colour me surprised.
I hear ya, a lot of the **** we suffer through could be avoided if people just stopped accepting it.

Kidney belt helps, Beemer Buddies, cramp busters and a throttle lock plus Moto Skivvies and Airhawk. The Vario lip has also helped with neck getting sore. We'll see.

Whoah! That's quite an impressive list of gizmos and gadgets. Macdoc, you're surely the highest maintenance rider here on GTAM.

Beats being sidelined, though. Ride on.

I actually looked at buying a pair of MotoSkivvies in the last week or so. Unfortunately one of the things that I love most about my old bike (the fact I could ride for 20 hours non stop and still be comfortable) went along with the old bike.

Although I’m getting closer, I still haven’t achieved that level of comfort on the new ride.

however unless I’m missing it there is no local retailers that sell them, and online ordering has been a dismal experience recently so the chances of getting one ordered from the states inside the time window I needed seemed unlikely. Hell, I’m still waiting for a tire from Pete’s Superbike in Montreal that I ordered a week ago - it’s been sitting at Canada Post’s Montreal location for 8 bloody days now and hasn’t moved an inch. I could have walked there and back and got it quicker.

Whoah! That's quite an impressive list of gizmos and gadgets. Macdoc, you're surely the highest maintenance rider here on GTAM.
Beats being sidelined, though. Ride on
yeah high maintenance aging body and low maintenance bike my riding goals these days. Still debating that Pickle Lake run. 4,000 km loop. 600 km days which this time of year should be easy but if I can't keep the carpal tunnel under control it's very uncomfortable.

Kidney belt helps, Beemer Buddies, cramp busters and a throttle lock plus Moto Skivvies and Airhawk
Most touring riders have a similar combination ....I really have to protect my hands as I have carpal tunnel and dodging surgery.
Getting a comfie seat for long days is holy grail but not thrilled with spending $700 on an RDL for the CB500x if my hands can't take it.
Saturday was fine for both hands once I got some liniment on the throttle hand and actually felt okay yesterday too but today hands are twisted pretzels ....sucks getting old. ?

Yup ... getting old sucks, you have to adapt to carry on. Here's what you get to look forward too if you want to ride forever:
  • Taking Tylenol as prevention rather than a cure
  • Watching SOA clips to help you decide if whether toughing out arthritis pain is better than having your wife inject cortisone into each finger.
  • Spending you loose change on rider comfort upgrades instead of performance and farkles for your bike
  • After dragging your knees for a few KM you end up switching to dragging your ass
The upside.
  • Young riders picking a destination and go, older riders pick a direction and go - way more fun.
  • You ride a bigger bike that you want, not the bike you can afford
  • Your partner says 'have fun' when you leave home
  • Insurers let you ride anything for less than $1000/year
  • You have acquired a lifetime of experience that should keep you safer

What you do with your life before you get old has a lot to do with what happens later. Moderation is the key.

What you do with your life before you get old has a lot to do with what happens later. Moderation is the key.
That's a tough one. My grandfather told me to live life to it's fullest at any age, that cramming 40 years worth of living into 20 years might be a better life lived than standing on the sidelines just so you can get old.

Taking Tylenol as prevention rather than a cure

That started for me about 2 years ago. And I'm not even 50 yet. :cautious:

I have an industrial sized bottle of Tylenol (actually, the Kirkland knockoff Robaxacet) that rides in my bike everywhere I go.

I expect to be needing quite a few out of the bottle for the trip to/from Pickle Lake starting this Friday.

I actually looked at buying a pair of MotoSkivvies in the last week or so.

however unless I’m missing it there is no local retailers that sell them, and online ordering has been a dismal experience recently so the chances of getting one ordered from the states inside the time window I needed seemed unlikely.

Base Layer Undergarments | Dualsport Plus

Thanks!

Brantford, huh? Not too bad. Busy week ahead, but I think I could make that work.
Have owned a pair for a few seasons now. Use on really long rides and multi day trips. Well worth the cost.

Would buy in a heartbeat. Just emailed them and asked if they have my size in stock to start, and what speed shipping they use and if there's any chance in hell they'd arrive by Thursday at the latest. We leave 6AM Friday.

Worse case I'll hop on the bike Wednesday and scoot out and back.

Trying to juggle a lot of things this week, biggest being getting a new tire installed on the back of my Vulcan. Pretty sure I'd be on cord by the time I got back from PIckle Lake otherwise.

Wow!
Those start at $91.
I usually get my gitches from Sally Ann for 99c.

Yeah, they're stupid expensive, but they're pretty damned specialized. And every review I've read says they're worth their weight in gold for long distance/endurance riding.

$100 for something that makes you super comfy for long rides forever is money well spent.

Wow!
Those start at $91.
I usually get my gitches from Sally Ann for 99c.
99c? I wonder how they do that? I've been trying to hawk mine on ebay, highest bit I've got so far is 1c - and they wanted free shipping.

I actually looked at buying a pair of MotoSkivvies in the last week or so. Unfortunately one of the things that I love most about my old bike (the fact I could ride for 20 hours non stop and still be comfortable) went along with the old bike.

Although I’m getting closer, I still haven’t achieved that level of comfort on the new ride.

however unless I’m missing it there is no local retailers that sell them, and online ordering has been a dismal experience recently so the chances of getting one ordered from the states inside the time window I needed seemed unlikely. Hell, I’m still waiting for a tire from Pete’s Superbike in Montreal that I ordered a week ago - it’s been sitting at Canada Post’s Montreal location for 8 bloody days now and hasn’t moved an inch. I could have walked there and back and got it quicker.

Have you considered shipping it to Niagara USA than using a company to bring over here to Mississauga for a small fee.
This is a cheaper way of doing it anyways. Bringing it direct to your house with UPS usually becomes very expensive.

I used Cross Border Pickups.
Ship it to them in your name and withing a week they bring it Mississauga for $10 per package plus duties on "declared values".
Than just take a ride out to Mississauga to pick it up. They can also ship to you from Mississauga but that would most likely delay things more.

Edit:
I used them recently to bring over a Corbin seat for my FZ6. Found a good deal on a used one on FB Marketplace. Any that I found locally (used) the sellers wanted way more than I was willing to pay.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom