Will the real Pierre Poilievre please stand up? | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Will the real Pierre Poilievre please stand up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprisingly i don't think they need to look that hard to cut things, the Liberals haven't missed many chances to empty the purse.

But let's call a spade a spade. Canada is in debt, in the heaviest debt the country has ever seen and the current government has no plan or willingness to address it. If people complain then i would just laugh at them. Doesn't matter what you cut, someone is going to feel it.

But they'll blame the people doing the cutting, when they should never have had those things in the first place if they had a government with their head on straight. But no one will want to talk about that.
Maybe start with Canada Post. It never makes money.

They could move to weekly delivery and really make no difference in service. Even if you cut Canada post and via completely it is just 1 billion a small rounding error on the total budget. Do you cut veterans off, the military or indigenous people. Those are 3 of the big ones.

Sent from the future

True.

But they are the only ones doing lettermail and trying to compete on the package war.

Last edited:

And who do you propose replaces lettermail service and parcel service if they suddenly go away?

If your answer is someone like FedEx or UPS, do you think they'll do it for the same price, or do you think that once competition is removed that they won't jack the prices for all their service up into the stratosphere because there's less competition? How about $5 to mail a letter? And having to go to a far-flung location to mail that letter or parcel since you won't have convenient postal outlets or mailboxes like we've become accustomed to with CP?

I think this is yet another easy to point at expense that would result in a massive list of unintended-consequences that the average joe like you and I wouldn't really like when they became evident.

And who do you propose replaces lettermail service and parcel service if they suddenly go away?

If your answer is someone like FedEx or UPS, do you think they'll do it for the same price, or do you think that once competition is removed that they won't jack the prices for all their service up into the stratosphere because there's less competition? How about $5 to mail a letter? And having to go to a far-flung location to mail that letter or parcel since you won't have convenient postal outlets or mailboxes like we've become accustomed to with CP?

I think this is yet another easy to point at expense that would result in a massive list of unintended-consequences that the average joe like you and I wouldn't really like when they became evident.
It doesn't need to be eliminated, but scaled to needs is reasonable. Once a week residential lettermail delivery is a great place to start (zoned like garbage so you have fewer full-time employees). I (and most people i know) only check it every few weeks anyway. Also burn door to door delivery in grandfathered neighbourhoods and put in super boxes. Two easy steps to save a fortune.

Well I don’t know how many walks we have at my depot, probably 150? And majority are full time employees who take probably 6-8hrs average to complete their deliveries. But many come back with undelivered mail.

Point is, currently the job is not getting done as it is.

How to fix CanPost? No more door to door delivery. Super boxes only. How many millions would that save?
( I live in a small town and like most have to go to the post office for my mail - it's not that big a deal)

It doesn't need to be eliminated, but scaled to needs is reasonable. Once a week residential lettermail delivery is a great place to start (zoned like garbage so you have fewer full-time employees). I (and most people i know) only check it every few weeks anyway. Also burn door to door delivery in grandfathered neighbourhoods and put in super boxes. Two easy steps to save a fortune.

Fair discussion....but....changing to once or twice a week delivery however would likely also have many unintended consequences when all of a sudden they lose 90% of their parcel deliveries, because we know nobody wants to wait an extra 2-3 days for their Amazon delivery, or whatever.
And if I'm not mistaken, CP makes waaaaaay more money on their parcel service vs lettermail. So in the end this may end up actually costing us all way MORE money than saving anything.

Unintended consequences, afterall.

Well I don’t know how many walks we have at my depot, probably 150? And majority are full time employees who take probably 6-8hrs average to complete their deliveries. But many come back with undelivered mail.

Point is, currently the job is not getting done as it is.

Things always change when you read the *other* side of the story from people actually doing the job.

Fair discussion....but....changing to once or twice a week delivery however would likely also have many unintended consequences when all of a sudden they lose 90% of their parcel deliveries, because we know nobody wants to wait an extra 2-3 days for their Amazon delivery, or whatever.
And if I'm not mistaken, CP makes waaaaaay more money on their parcel service vs lettermail. So in the end this may end up actually costing us all way MORE money than saving anything.

Unintended consequences, afterall.

Things always change when you read the *other* side of the story from people actually doing the job.
Parcel delivery could remain daily. Delivering 10 parcels to a superbox farm takes a lot less time than hitting 100 mailboxes daily. It won't be a magical change but it will save a lot of money with negligible change for most people (other than being butthurt that a change happened).

Why does every service need to turn a profit? I think the key word is service. The same thing isn’t applied to fire services or waste disposal services, if it was we wouldn’t have them. Canada post supplies a basic service that’s necessary for a lot of people. My biggest gripe with Canada Post is that their prices are out to lunch. I can’t post a parcel to the UK for less than the contents of the parcel most times.

As for Via, maybe if their fares weren’t nuts and the trains weren’t a distant afterthought behind freight trains they would have more passengers.

While we are on the subject..Air Canada has been the beneficiary of buckets loads of cash from the government. During the pandemic they canned flights from our local airport and they never came back. So we are 2.5h from Pearson with a recently upgraded airport that’s just sitting there quiet and empty most days. When the flights were in operation they were by and large full and operated as connector flights quite well with Pearson, luggage checked through to destination etc. I saw that as a service too since it’s in their name and it’s not Air Bits of Canada.

Rant over.

Parcel delivery could remain daily. Delivering 10 parcels to a superbox farm takes a lot less time than hitting 100 mailboxes daily. It won't be a magical change but it will save a lot of money with negligible change for most people (other than being butthurt that a change happened).

My company tried this exact thing about 10 years ago, deciding that daily service to some more distant areas along (and north of) Highway 7 between Toronto and the Madoc area could be "more profitable" if we switched to every other day service.

What happened?
- Many customers immediately got ****** because they didn't want to wait for stuff that was often mission critical.​
- Those that stayed wanted discounts as they weren't getting what they were originally paying for anymore.​
- The volume of freight that sometimes ended up accumulating on the "off days" exceeded the drivers abilities to actually get delivired on that next run day, so then stuff would potentialy experience a 3-5 day delivery windows, which when a customer ships something that only needs to travel a few hundred kilometers, just wasn't remotely acceptable to them.​
- Many drivers accrued signifant overtime as a result of the above, eating up any savings that were intended.​
- Customers with freight to SHIP (vs just waiting for deliveries) were also ****** for all the above reasons​
- Customers started to drop like flies. Freight volume dropped. We lost a few big long time customers. 10 years later we have basically none of those customers anymore.​

Now, that entire run really doesn't exist, at least full time anymore, equalling 1 less employee. They've been trying to rebuild it for years, without much success.

So, yeah, someone at our ivory tower in Toronto didn't see the big picture.

Why does every service need to turn a profit?

Exactly. Some services are for the betterment of our society and I think most reasonable people are willing to understand that. MOST public transport (probably all of it, for that matter) is not even close to profitable. But if we take the kneejerk approach and whack every unprofitable government agency, we end up with things that millions of people (including I'm sure a few here in this conversation) use regularly. Go Transit, anyone?

Lettermail is on it's way out. At least on an individual level. Maybe most business's need them. But I've practically eliminated most of my mail. The only holdouts are insurance, even they are starting to use email. Flyers get automatically binned. I don't even look at them.
The hood still get's door to door lettermail delivery. Part of some agreement, complaint or something, when CP tried to modernize. I'm ok with it.

Honestly though I never get whatever mail on time, it's suppose to be a 3 day turnaround if it's local, and it never happens, so if they scaled back to a once a week, it almost would be the same anyway. There are plenty of other ways to make the process more efficient, as there is a lot of idling in the workflow, but it won't impact service or create a ton of savings. Plus I'm sure the Gov uses CP as a job creation tool more then a fundamental service.

Hey CP could limit service and say they saving the environment by having less active daily vehicles on the road, and the mass's would eat that chit up.

Coming back to the "Canada is so horrible" bit...

Yeah. We've really got it bad here.
We do have it here. It's called the Woke movement and it's facilitated by social media and the internet.

No you don't end up in a brick and mortar jail but you end up being harassed into a corner and drowned out by the prima donnas with nothing better to do. Speak out against any special interest group and they will bury you.

I see Canada Post having an original mandate not unlike the CBC. No matter where you are in Canada you get basic service of radio or mail.

There is no way a hamlet of 20 homes, 300 Kms off the main highway and a similar distance away from other towns can financially support a radio station or full postal operation. IIRC Greyhound stopped servicing these places ages ago and there were the expected protests.

The community has to be a financial drain on other locations or pay for the expectations or create a community effort to do stuff themselves. The latter comes with serious risks.

We do have it here. It's called the Woke movement and it's facilitated by social media and the internet.

No you don't end up in a brick and mortar jail but you end up being harassed into a corner and drowned out by the prima donnas with nothing better to do. Speak out against any special interest group and they will bury you.
cancel culture, indeed

How to fix CanPost? No more door to door delivery. Super boxes only. How many millions would that save?
( I live in a small town and like most have to go to the post office for my mail - it's not that big a deal)
Apartment buildings and high rise condos have that built in. Hundreds of mailboxes, all in the lobby. In older single family home areas it's not as easy. People don't like to walk more than 100 yards and stopping the car blocks traffic.

It sounds petty but a lot of our problems are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom