Who's still riding? Fall & Winter 2022 (& 2023!) edition! | Page 37 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? Fall & Winter 2022 (& 2023!) edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember riding one winter when roads were dry, didn’t mind the cold, but noticed in the summer that all the aluminum and chrome had little pit marks in them so figured maybe more corrosion going on.
I rarely have enough time to ride so the bike doesn’t really get washed or waxed.
You can expect a little surface corrosion on some plated and polished surfaces. I spray down those parts with PB Blaster Surface shield, ($5 on sale periodically at PA) and make sure everything that needs grease is well packed.

My Vstrom is a few years old, the worst surface rusting is the SWMotec rack frames, the paint is really thin, and the fasteners are bare metal with paint. I cleaned them up last year, prepped and painted like they were car parts, zinc plated the fasteners and all is good.

IMG_0599.jpeg

You can expect a little surface corrosion on some plated and polished surfaces. I spray down those parts with PB Blaster Surface shield, ($5 on sale periodically at PA) and make sure everything that needs grease is well packed.

My Vstrom is a few years old, the worst surface rusting is the SWMotec rack frames, the paint is really thin, and the fasteners are bare metal with paint. I cleaned them up last year, prepped and painted like they were car parts, zinc plated the fasteners and all is good.

View attachment 65514
I ride my bicycle in the winter and each spring there are parts I can clean and bring back to life and there are fasteners that just have to be replaced. I’ve been spraying with WD40 but it isn’t great. I will pick up the PB blaster surface shield. I’ve also tried that other preservative type oil made from lanolin but it doesn’t seem to stay on (smells awful too).

I don’t put my wife in storage for the summer to save her getting wrinkles from the sun,

Neither is being preserved for their next partner.

There's a significantly less politically correct version of this I cannot post here lol.

WTF was that flash of light this morning, was that that SUN!
Also last night was there lightening? There was very brief flash. Thought it was car headlights, but everything lit up.

On the bright side, it looks like we're actually in for a decent stretch of sunny days this week. Downside is because we have an arctic high coming in and it's going to be brisk every day.

Similar, I still haven't wash my bike since last year 🥁:LOL:

I tend to take mine to the pay and spray quite often to get the worst of the crap off after an adventure, or give it a quick splash in the driveway for the lesser but still kinda just dirty adventures, but I don't spend any meanintful time polishing and detailing lol. Unfortunately now I have to do a really good cleaning and detail to get it ready to sell lol. I might just pay someone for that, I'd rather ride than clean.

Wow you must have a great set up to do this.
Our shop send a lots of steel out for plating every week. Zinc plating is cheap in bulk, a pound of nuts and bolts costs a few pennies.

There's a significantly less politically correct version of this I cannot post here lol.
As in next rider, or next owner?
I tend to take mine to the pay and spray quite often to get the worst of the crap off after an adventure, or give it a quick splash in the driveway for the lesser but still kinda just dirty adventures, but I don't spend any meanintful time polishing and detailing lol. Unfortunately now I have to do a really good cleaning and detail to get it ready to sell lol. I might just pay someone for that, I'd rather ride than clean.
I have a buddy that doesn’t ride, but loves to detail bikes and cars for fun. I feel guilty dropping my bike off as he will spend 8 hours detailing, and he won’t take a cent.

I only do it once a year when he bugs me to bring a bike around.

When he’s finished, I could park it in @Hardwrkr13’s garage.

I ride my bicycle in the winter and each spring there are parts I can clean and bring back to life and there are fasteners that just have to be replaced. I’ve been spraying with WD40 but it isn’t great. I will pick up the PB blaster surface shield. I’ve also tried that other preservative type oil made from lanolin but it doesn’t seem to stay on (smells awful too).
Ther are spendy products like ACF2, that stick longer. In the old days I used Castro no drip chain lube, cheap and works.

I rode my recliner around the living room all day today.

And by "recliner", I mean my actual recliner, not my motorcycle.
I did some sledding last week in Timmins. There isn’t snow till 6 hrs north of Toronto, and even there, no trails are open yet. Been a crap year.

Fortunately the rivers and lakes have lots of ice, and the roads have snowpack, so if you know your way around the north, there’s lots of sledding. Should improve this week, Cochrane region got over a meter of snow in the last few days.

Gonna try a 3 day 1000km run mid Feb. can’t wait!

My last sled (which was my dads before he passed) went to a new home last June. A fellow came all the way from Alaska to pick it up, turns out it was more of a collectors sled than I really grasped.

I sold it with a promise that when it's running again someday that I might come ride it one last time. Lots of great memories riding with the old man in my youth.

1705284147351.png

That’s an early l, 85/86 Polaris Indy 600, if I recall these were triples and one of the first Polaris sleds that could hit 100kph, let riders run with the big Skidoos and Arctic Cats of the days.

I’m a bit dialed back these days, I run a rather pedestrian Polaris Indy 600, twin fan. Doesn’t win races, but rock solid reliable, easy on fuel, and it starts first pull at -30.

86 Indy 600 limited edition. Back when "limited edition" actually meant limited. Not many of them ever made, not many of them left out there anymore.

And it was a 100MPH sled in its day. I know because I rode it there a few times on radar trap days up on Scugog. It was king of the hill in its day. It was an interesting era in sledding for those who remember it, the beginning of the horsepower and speed race. Good times.

How is the riding today?

Salty. Cold. I did a whole 1.7 km. That's round trip, not one way lol.

Ride to get take out, bring it home, nothing more, nothing less.

Warming up my 5.4 liter V8 pickup to go and do the same trip would have been ridiculous. I haven't started my truck since Boxing Day.

86 Indy 600 limited edition. Back when "limited edition" actually meant limited. Not many of them ever made, not many of them left out there anymore.

And it was a 100MPH sled in its day. I know because I rode it there a few times on radar trap days up on Scugog. It was king of the hill in its day. It was an interesting era in sledding for those who remember it, the beginning of the horsepower and speed race. Good times.
I remember those days well. Ice drags in Bewdley. Fun times. My back doesn't like those sleds anymore but they're still pretty. I'll hit the trails later this week to make sure they're still working good.

I remember those days well. Ice drags in Bewdley. Fun times. My back doesn't like those sleds anymore but they're still pretty. I'll hit the trails later this week to make sure they're still working good.
Those were fun Open ice rader runs on Scugog and Simcoe, 1/8th drags and open water drags on Soldier's and Cooks Bay.

Don't think much of that happens in Ontario any more.

Warming up my 5.4 liter V8 pickup to go and do the same trip would have been ridiculous. I haven't started my truck since Boxing Day.
Isn't a 5.4l pickup always ridiculous? ;)

Isn't a 5.4l pickup always ridiculous? ;)

lol, depends on what you do with it!

Camping-setup-scaled.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom