When are you taking your bikes out? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

When are you taking your bikes out?

I'll probably be waiting till early April. Besides, my bike is still in pieces (still working on my headlight assembly when I can find the time to do it between work and school).

Hoping to get out in a couple weeks...

I find the older I've gotten the more reluctant I am to just jump on and go for a ride in less than ideal conditions. My first few years I'd have been out a week ago, although having just gotten a stick shift car not too long ago has kept me pretty satisfied and I'm just starting to get comfy with it.

Rode yesterday and today - Bike was a mess from the grime so took it to a coin wash and now is sitting in the garage nice and clean.

If you do go out, wash it, dry your rotors and lube your chain - you may also want to change your air filter once the salt dust is gone and you start riding regularly, you don't want that dust on your filter.

Hoping to get out in a couple weeks...

I find the older I've gotten the more reluctant I am to just jump on and go for a ride in less than ideal conditions. My first few years I'd have been out a week ago, although having just gotten a stick shift car not too long ago has kept me pretty satisfied and I'm just starting to get comfy with it.

I felt the same way with my first automatic.

Rode yesterday and today - Bike was a mess from the grime so took it to a coin wash and now is sitting in the garage nice and clean.

If you do go out, wash it, dry your rotors and lube your chain - you may also want to change your air filter once the salt dust is gone and you start riding regularly, you don't want that dust on your filter.

Thanks, forgot my rotors!

Great advice on the filter and salt dust. Just remember a week ago Monday when all the power outages happened. Main cause was built up salt dust, and water permitting conductivity and causing the fires. Pulverized salt can do major damage.

Personally, I don't want my bike sand blasted, (think of it if your riding behind a car kicking up all that sand and it hits your bike at 50 - 80 Km/h just like a sand blasting). So I will wait for 2 - 3 GOOD days of rain and all snow is gone before I get my bike out as I want to keep for a few years yet.

saw 3 bikers yesterday. 2 of them were cruising down eglinton going westbound passed don mills, supersports a red and black one. then another one, cruiser i think it was a honda, going eastbound on eglinton.

Bahahaha ha that was me and a friend of mine. White / red R6 and red/black gsxr 750. I couldn't help it; neither could my friend. We got our fix for a day or two lol(probably ride today after work or tmrw to / from work). I know there's a lot of sand and gravel, but as long as you warm up your tires, take the salt / sand into consideration and don't ride like it's 25c out, you will be fine. Safety and responsibility play hand in hand in these conditions!!

anyone wanna jump in the idea on salt destroying your bike? How and why is that? Dry salt? Or we talking slushed salt? Just wanna know if / what damages it could possibly do to my bike. I figured since there's people that ride all year long, that it wouldn't be much of a problem. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
anyone wanna jump in the idea on salt destroying your bike? How and why is that? Dry salt? Or we talking slushed salt? Just wanna know if / what damages it could possibly do to my bike. I figured since there's people that ride all year long, that it wouldn't be much of a problem. Thanks in advance.

Its not as bad as others make it out to be but it will cause corrosion and rust very quickly. Look underneath your car to see what I mean.

My headers look like they have cancer from the salt and my old GS500F's chain had some really tight spots after 2 winters of riding (I did not know to be liberal with chain lube during winter months).

Salt is not only an enemy to metal but traction also. Be aware of any crystallized appearances on the road, the salt can drop you just as quick as ice can.
As said above washing it straight after a winter ride is highly important for preventing corrosion.

Pic's are from the s1000rr UK forum

S1000rr Sump Corrosion 2.jpgS1000rr Sump Corrosion 3.jpgS1000rr Sump Corrosion 4.jpg

There is technically enough moisture in the air to start the corrosion process. All salt is bad if it isn't removed/left on long enough.

As anxious as I am to get riding, I will wait for a few rains to clean the roads, temperature is not an issue...here's to a great riding season!!

Back
Top Bottom