What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 192 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

Or come out with us on Thursday night (I hear tomorrow is a go) and you won't even notice the wind because you'll be having too much fun on the 60-80 km/h back roads and twisties.
I’ll see if I can make it out. But still worried I’m the slow poke!

Discovered that in fact the CB750 front end is a direct bolt on swap swap for a GoldWing GL1100 forks and triples.
In doing so I went through my CB750 steering stem/triple tree collection (turns out I have 5)
It was interesting to note that all three of the K version had damage to the right hand steering stop. (One bent, One bent and sorta fixed with a blob of weld and a third was broken right off. Oddly the two F (SuperSport) units were undamaged.

Found out my headlight wasn't working on a ride back home the other day. Used hi beams. Take that drivers!
The bulb seemed to be a standard H7 automotive bulb, picked 1 up from CT.

Now the fun part. You have to take apart a lot of the bike just to get to the bulb.....🥴

01 headlight.jpg

So the dash has to be removed, plus some side bits.
02 dash.jpeg

Since I was this far, I also had to replace the spark plugs. More stuff to take off. Mainly the gas tank.
03 airbox.jpg
Air filter looks ok too. The front plug was a ***** to get at since the rad is in the way. Finally got it though, with the use of the bendy socket adapter.. Whew.

Back together, its starts!
04 together.jpg

All that for these 3 parts!
05 parts.jpg

I must have hit a serious bump to break the thing in the bulb. Might go LED if I can figure that out.

I guess it wasn't that bad to remove the fairing etc, now that I have done it. Lots of cheapy plastic bits, was happy I didn't break any of it and it went back together well enough. Those plastic push clips are interesting.

Good practise in taking the bike apart.

I lost count how many time I have taken apart my front end or side fairings. Last time was WITH upper crash bars. That was a PITA.

Last edited:
Found out my headlight wasn't working on a ride back home the other day. Used hi beams. Take that drivers!
The bulb seemed to be a standard H7 automotive bulb, picked 1 up from CT.

Now the fun part. You have to take apart a lot of the bike just to get to the bulb.....🥴

View attachment 69580

So the dash has to be removed, plus some side bits.
View attachment 69581

Since I was this far, I also had to replace the spark plugs. More stuff to take off. Mainly the gas tank.
View attachment 69582
Air filter looks ok too. The front plug was a ***** to get at since the rad is in the way. Finally got it though, with the use of the bendy socket adapter.. Whew.

Back together, its starts!
View attachment 69583

All that for these 3 parts!
View attachment 69584

I must have hit a serious bump to break the thing in the bulb. Might go LED if I can figure that out.

I guess it wasn't that bad to remove the fairing etc, now that I have done it. Lots of cheapy plastic bits, was happy I didn't break any of it and it went back together well enough. Those plastic push clips are interesting.
How many Kms on the bike so far...... I want to feel inadequate.

Nice.... I have this week off (other than Tuesday) if you want a riding partner for a day.
Oh nice, should be a good week.

My schedule is very random, I hardly can plan anything. The days I have off are usually last minute or day before. I'm thinking of doing some riding tomorrow, but as typical I don't have a plan just see how I wake up and wing it.

Have you seen this?

Removed the rear wheel so I can bring it somewhere to have a new tire put on.

It gave me a chance to clean all the crud off the swing arm and rim.

I found out my rear top case rack will be delayed and might not come by in time for an upcoming trip. I decided to make a temporary rack for a duffle bag out of 1/2" plywood. The idea was to keep it simple and lightweight.

Passenger seat removed and test fit the brackets.
GFbi9z2.jpeg

Top plate mounts on the brackets via two slots to prevent any movement.
9XNn80u.jpeg

Top plate shaped with some holes cut for strap anchor points. Also took a router to the edges. The idea is that the straps that hold the bag down will also keep the top plate in place.
b5JIFMS.jpeg

Painted
TmytvXh.jpeg

Test run with camera mounted to monitor any movements with the top plate.
AMrRFxT.jpeg

I'm using Rok straps to hold down the bag. In the end, some large bumps knocked the top plate out of the slots. I was thinking that might happen so I added some additional straps to hold down the top plate which seemed to have solved the problem. Hope this set up holds up for a 3 day trip.

Not sure what you ordered but cancel the order.
This looks like it was factory made and probably a fraction of the price of whatever you ordered.

Great job.

Is the top plate secured to the side brackets by any bolts/screws?
That would be the only thing I would add.

Wow great job @i-WERKS!! Where you located I have a project I need some guidance with….will post in the technical forum later this week but no clue how to get cracking on it.

Thanks guys!

@oioioi - The original plan was to make it so that the top plate bolts to the brackets but then I would have to add more pieces of wood, introduce more connections/joints which have potential to fail. My thought was, with straps holding the top plate to the bracket, there are less things that can break and can be fixed/adjusted without tools. Hard to see but the top plate also rests on the stock passenger rear handle so the weight isn't completely on the brackets.

@mimico_polak - I'm located in Stouffville. Will be happy to help anyway I could. Send me a message.

I found out my rear top case rack will be delayed and might not come by in time for an upcoming trip. I decided to make a temporary rack for a duffle bag out of 1/2" plywood. The idea was to keep it simple and lightweight.

Passenger seat removed and test fit the brackets.
GFbi9z2.jpeg

Top plate mounts on the brackets via two slots to prevent any movement.
9XNn80u.jpeg

Top plate shaped with some holes cut for strap anchor points. Also took a router to the edges. The idea is that the straps that hold the bag down will also keep the top plate in place.
b5JIFMS.jpeg

Painted
TmytvXh.jpeg

Test run with camera mounted to monitor any movements with the top plate.
AMrRFxT.jpeg

I'm using Rok straps to hold down the bag. In the end, some large bumps knocked the top plate out of the slots. I was thinking that might happen so I added some additional straps to hold down the top plate which seemed to have solved the problem. Hope this set up holds up for a 3 day trip.
Wow nice work, I wasn't expecting it to look so finished at the end.
I think you found a nice side hustle (y)

Thanks guys!

@oioioi - The original plan was to make it so that the top plate bolts to the brackets but then I would have to add more pieces of wood, introduce more connections/joints which have potential to fail. My thought was, with straps holding the top plate to the bracket, there are less things that can break and can be fixed/adjusted without tools. Hard to see but the top plate also rests on the stock passenger rear handle so the weight isn't completely on the brackets.

@mimico_polak - I'm located in Stouffville. Will be happy to help anyway I could. Send me a message.
Put tightbond III on both faces and then clamp and it will never come apart. You have a lot of surface area. The straps are probably fine but I expect the loose plate may move a bit and make noise (especially if you are going somewhere with lower humidity) which would be disconcerting.

Thanks guys!

If you want the top plate to be easily removable, you could have two small forward-facing pins or flat plates attached to the front of the uprights, which hook over the front edge of the slots in the plate. Combine those with some sort of attachment mechanism to the rear tubular steel bar to keep the whole thing from lifting off. The rear attachment could be something like a hinged metal strap (attached to the top plate, and positioned to close itself around the bar), a threaded insert in the top plate, and a hand-knob/bolt through the hinged strap.

If you want the top plate to be easily removable, you could have two small forward-facing pins or flat plates attached to the front of the uprights, which hook over the front edge of the slots in the plate. Combine those with some sort of attachment mechanism to the rear tubular steel bar to keep the whole thing from lifting off. The rear attachment could be something like a hinged metal strap (attached to the top plate, and positioned to close itself around the bar), a threaded insert in the top plate, and a hand-knob/bolt through the hinged strap.
That is version 2, or the deluxe upgraded model.

Back
Top Bottom