What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 182 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

Yup. Lesson learned. Hopefully not too expensive, and hopefully that crankcase cover comes off with not too much fuss...

Will be calling a few shops tomorrow to get my head around pricing...or snap up that parts bike and deal with getting rid of it later.

Ebay also has some decent options in terms of pricing.
All this father & son team do is fix stripped bolts / threads.

20240623_111920.jpg

Thread insert installation is easy IF you know what you're doing and are using the right equipment.

... the problem being (nothing personal OP) is the guy that just ham fisted and cross threaded that bolt PROBABLY doesn't have the necessary finesse.
I find it funny when I see people bragging about how good they are at removing broken bolts and/or installing inserts... to ME they're bragging about how talented they are at breaking bolts.
MY talent lies in getting the bolt out WITHOUT breaking it. (I used to rebuild electric motors... if you WANT to screw up a bolted connection, run current through it. I have removed more broken bolts that I will admit to).
You DO NOT want to drill this out with a hand drill... that being said; I use a hand drill most of the time... BUT this is case of "Do as I say, NOT as I do". I've had a lot of practice... DAMN now I'm doing it
... and I don't remember EVER, as in not once, removing a broken bolt with a left handed drill. Not once

Thread insert installation is easy IF you know what you're doing and are using the right equipment.

... the problem being (nothing personal OP) is the guy that just ham fisted and cross threaded that bolt PROBABLY doesn't have the necessary finesse.
I find it funny when I see people bragging about how good they are at removing broken bolts and/or installing inserts... to ME they're bragging about how talented they are at breaking bolts.
MY talent lies in getting the bolt out WITHOUT breaking it. (I used to rebuild electric motors... if you WANT to screw up a bolted connection, run current through it. I have removed more broken bolts that I will admit to).
You DO NOT want to drill this out with a hand drill... that being said; I use a hand drill most of the time... BUT this is case of "Do as I say, NOT as I do". I've had a lot of practice... DAMN now I'm doing it
... and I don't remember EVER, as in not once, removing a broken bolt with a left handed drill. Not once
No offence at all here. I f$@#ed up and am looking at resolution here. Will call my cousin today to see when I can pick up the bike, and take that piece off.

I'll give him a few options (your method, used piece, or new piece) and then see what he wants to do as it's his bike (my old bike) and then decide.

Hoping for a relatively painless surgery on this, but I will NOT be performing any bolt fixes / removals. I want to take the piece off and see what the threads on the bolts look like.

It's only an hour drive from my work to Lindsay.

No offence at all here. I f$@#ed up and am looking at resolution here. Will call my cousin today to see when I can pick up the bike, and take that piece off.

I'll give him a few options (your method, used piece, or new piece) and then see what he wants to do as it's his bike (my old bike) and then decide.

Hoping for a relatively painless surgery on this, but I will NOT be performing any bolt fixes / removals. I want to take the piece off and see what the threads on the bolts look like.

If you need, I may know a guy that has one or two extra heli-coils kicking around..... :D

20240624_083111.jpg

I've done lots of heli's over the years, it's not a difficult operation but it's easy to f-up if you're not careful, don't understand what you're doing or look for short-cuts.

Removing stuck fasteners is another story. Pretty much every snapped bolt I've repaired was because someone else had been at it before me, or it's seized by orange locktite. Cross or wrong threading, over-torquing, and orange locktite are the most common. Removing them is a bit art, and a bit science, each circumstance will require it's own solution.

The case @mimico_polak needs to fix sounds like the threads on all the fasteners may have been mangled by a novice, either cross-threaded or over-torqued. One fastener is snapped and stuck. The case if soft metal (aluminum) and the bolts are hardened steel, so the case will usually take damage.

From my armchair, I can see 3 solutions to restore the case after removing the stuck bolt. Carefully inspect the condition of all the tapped holes in the clutch cover case, if in doubt, treat them all.

1) Drill and tap to the next larger size (M8?), then replace flange bolts with hex head fasteners to maintain clearance on the outer case.
2) Drill, tap, and helicoil the existing holes and replace all the flange bolts.
3) Make the drive to Lindsay with your case.

What did you do in your garage today..?

Well, I came home from my best friend's funeral, backed the motor into the car hole, closed the door and cried my eyes out.
Grabbed a beer and sat in the car listening to the music, thinking of him, and crying like a school girl.
And then this came on and I lost it:

I loved the guy! We were pals for forty years. The worst part is he was sports mad and never got to see Scotland let him down one last time, or find out who won the Stanley Cup.

So tonight I'm going to drink my face off (it's a Scottish thing) whilst swatching the hockey, and arguing with him over the plays and players.

Wish me luck!

What did you do in your garage today..?​

Well, I came home from my best friend's funeral, backed the motor into the car hole, closed the door and cried my eyes out.

Grabbed a beer and sat in the car listening to the music, thinking of him, and crying like a school girl.

I loved the guy! We were pals for forty years. The worst part is he was sports mad and never got to see Scotland let him down one last time, or find out who won the Stanley Cup.

So tonight I'm going to drink my face off (it's a Scottish thing) whilst swatching the hockey, and arguing with him over the plays and players.

Wish me luck!

That sucks man...... It's never right again.... but it gets better.

Wish me luck!

Grief is unmanageable alone. Seek some help.

Is this the previous owner that f-ed the bolts prior to your cousin taking possession??🤪

I kid I kid....
Wishing you all the best in repairing this.
I'm sure you will find a way and enough help here has been offered to make it fairly easy.

Last edited:

Wish me luck!

I’m very sorry for your loss. May you find peace in this difficult time.

Is the the previous owner that f-ed the bolts prior to your cousin taking possession??🤪

I kid I kid....
Wishing you all the best in repairing this.
I'm sure you will find a way and enough help here has been offered to make it fairly easy.
Cousin said it’s not leaking today…and is wondering why I’m stressing out over it so much….

Cousin said it’s not leaking today…and is wondering why I’m stressing out over it so much….
Because you don't want that thing dripping oil when he is out and back tire is covered in oil.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom