What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 181 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

That's not good is the the oil filter cover if so where does the o-ring seal?

Sent from the future
I think I’ll need to replace the crankcase cover, seal, and bolts. So long as it doesn’t doesn’t require a full on take apart of the bike to reach it, I should be good.

If the bolts are cross threaded, then all 4 are shot anyway…and they mount into the crankcase cover on the right side.

#20 bottom right is the snapped bolt.

1719138050208.jpeg

A1
$400 for the crankcase cover. Damn.

Or I should just buy this and strip it…

Extract the broken bolt then fit helicoils to any of the bolt holes that are sloppy.

$40 for an assorted size helicoil kit off Amazon. You won’t need to remove the cover. Only $13 for the single size jit you need.Kit - includes drill, tap, 8 helicoils and install tool.

Seems odd to have cross threading issues with all 4 bolts. Is this a known issue with this bike? Maybe the scrap bike has the same problem. Or did a PO or previous shop use an impact driver on the bolts to start them and cross threaded them?

I'd be more inclined to drill out the broken bolt and then chase out all 4 bolt holes with a proper sized tap, or a slightly oversized one. Helicoil? Maybe someone on the forum has experience with this and can assist. Probably better to remove the crankcase cover to do this, in particular drilling out the broken bolt. Also easier to bring the cover only to a shop or a forum memeber vs. the whole bike. By the time you do all this cheaper and easier to just buy a new part?

Last edited:
I think I’ll need to replace the crankcase cover, seal, and bolts. So long as it doesn’t doesn’t require a full on take apart of the bike to reach it, I should be good.

If the bolts are cross threaded, then all 4 are shot anyway…and they mount into the crankcase cover on the right side.

#20 bottom right is the snapped bolt.

View attachment 68492
You can probably get out the broken bolt. I have done a farmer fix on things like this where you retap to a standard size if there is one that is just slightly larger and could be done in place. If all 4 are stripped you can do all four it will hold fine for the rest of the bikes life. It seems like the person who did this last was strong like bull and smart like sofa. Those bolts aren't supposed to be very tight.

Sent from the future

That sucks. You try to help out and boom. Can you drill it out? MM’s suggestion is pretty good. Phil’s too.
No clue. Haven’t tried it. If im lucky (which I’m obviously not) when I remove the oil filter cap there’s still a piece sticking out so can use pliers to remove it.

Seems odd to have cross threading issues with all 4 bolts. Is this a known issue with this bike? Maybe the scrap bike has the same problem. Or did a PO or previous shop use an impact driver on the bolts to start them and cross threaded them?

I'd be more inclined to drill out the broken bolt and then chase out all 4 bolt holes with a proper sized tap, or a slightly oversized one. Helicoil? Maybe someone on the forum has experience with this and can assist. Probably better to remove the crankcase cover to do this, in particular drilling out the broken bolt. Also easier to bring the cover only to a shop or a forum memeber vs. the whole bike. By the time you do all this cheaper and easier to just buy a new part?
It seems all 4 were going and going and going and when the first one snapped…well I didn’t touch the others any longer.

A1

Extract the broken bolt then fit helicoils to any of the bolt holes that are sloppy.

$40 for an assorted size helicoil kit off Amazon. You won’t need to remove the cover. Only $13 for the single size jit you need.Kit - includes drill, tap, 8 helicoils and install tool.

Have heard of helicoils but never used. How hard is this process?

I’ll know more once bike comes back here. Cousin confirmed it was leaking last night when he got home but he didn’t check from where.

I should just pay him $1500 and buy it to make into a race bike.

You can probably get out the broken bolt. I have done a farmer fix on things like this where you retap to a standard size if there is one that is just slightly larger and could be done in place. If all 4 are stripped you can do all four it will hold fine for the rest of the bikes life. It seems like the person who did this last was strong like bull and smart like sofa. Those bolts aren't supposed to be very tight.

Sent from the future
12Nm is the spec. Other cousin that did this is strong like bull…smart too…for the most part! 😂😂😂

But I can’t be sure it was his fault as I could be just as guilty here.

No clue. Haven’t tried it. If im lucky (which I’m obviously not) when I remove the oil filter cap there’s still a piece sticking out so can use pliers to remove it.

It seems all 4 were going and going and going and when the first one snapped…well I didn’t touch the others any longer.

I’ll know more once bike comes back here. Cousin confirmed it was leaking last night when he got home but he didn’t check from where.

I should just pay him $1500 and buy it to make into a race bike.
Installing heli coils isn't a difficult process, it just takes a little time and care. Hopefully you can extract the remains and avoid.

I might be wrong but 12Nm seems high for such a small diameter bolt.

Installing a Helicoil involves drilling out the damaged threaded hole, tapping it with an oversized thread, and then threading in an insert that matches the original thread. Easy process, but I'd remove the cover if you can, because:

- you don't want the drill shavings ending up in your motor
- crouching down beside the bike and craning your neck while drilling and tapping isn't just uncomfortable, but also asking for something to end up crooked

That said, I had to repair 6 valve cover holes on my basket case RXV, and I wasn't going to remove both heads, so I taped everything off and drilled slowly with a vacuum to suck up the shavings as I went. The holes didn't go straight through, so no issues with them actually falling into the heads. I also used a jig/guide to keep the drill bit and tap as straight as possible to the hole surface, since I was working on the heads at their natural v-twin angle.

Installing a Helicoil involves drilling out the damaged threaded hole, tapping it with an oversized thread, and then threading in an insert that matches the original thread. Easy process, but I'd remove the cover if you can, because:

- you don't want the drill shavings ending up in your motor
- crouching down beside the bike and craning your neck while drilling and tapping isn't just uncomfortable, but also asking for something to end up crooked

That said, I had to repair 6 valve cover holes on my basket case RXV, and I wasn't going to remove both heads, so I taped everything off and drilled slowly with a vacuum to suck up the shavings as I went. The holes didn't go straight through, so no issues with them actually falling into the heads. I also used a jig/guide to keep the drill bit and tap as straight as possible to the hole surface, since I was working on the heads at their natural v-twin angle.

Grease on the tap also works to collect shavings. Obviously slows down the process as chip clearance sucks but can be much faster than having to remove a part.

That can give a lot of torque in a hurry if you use a smaller rachet it can help avoid issues.

Sent from the future
Yup. Lesson learned. Hopefully not too expensive, and hopefully that crankcase cover comes off with not too much fuss...

Will be calling a few shops tomorrow to get my head around pricing...or snap up that parts bike and deal with getting rid of it later.

Ebay also has some decent options in terms of pricing.

Yup. Lesson learned. Hopefully not too expensive, and hopefully that crankcase cover comes off with not too much fuss...

Will be calling a few shops tomorrow to get my head around pricing...or snap up that parts bike and deal with getting rid of it later.

Ebay also has some decent options in terms of pricing.
Don't forget NCK Cycle.
This is their current Honda parts inventory.
There is also the Bike Yard in Caledon.

1719154956296.png

Zdenos and Sonic Cycle may also have the parts. I'm a 1/2 hr from Sonic if you needed something picked up....
Never used them but I have heard that their prices are on the high side.

Back
Top Bottom