What did you do in your garage today..? | Page 177 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do in your garage today..?

As long as the PO didn't gouge the surface too badly you can buff it back to shiny.
2000 grit wet paper then a couple of rounds with a buffer and that will look like chrome
It doesn't look too bad / deep...will have to look into it as I don't think I have a buffer or 2000grit wet paper.

Can I use a palm sander? Got a bunch of those laying around with dad's tools.

Attachments

• 20230830_145200.jpg
    20230830_145200.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230830_145715.jpg
    20230830_145715.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230904_153546.jpg
    20230904_153546.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
OK brain trust, since the issue of wrapping is coming up...I'm looking at options here...

View attachment 68275

If you can see it...the previous owner decided to 'matte' the chrome bits on the Scrambler. The side tank panels on both sides, and the bezel around the headlight (items in red). It looks garbage, and I think all he used is some type of sandpaper.

The item in blue (sticker) is starting to show it's age and is slowly peeling away.

Thoughts on best way to rectify this without actually replacing it (not cheap). The headlight surround is $50-70 from a guy on Kijiji (brand new), but the tank sides aren't cheap ($400-700 on ebay from what I'm seeing).

I'm considering taking them off, and plastidipping them a different colour. I don't mind the finish...but it just looks...not clean/sharp as I'd like it.

@Relax I need to drop off the cleaning product you lent me last year.

Yes, please, I forgot I lent it out.

Are you sure that's not meant to be a brushed finish?

I'm considering taking them off, and plastidipping them a different colour. I don't mind the finish...but it just looks...not clean/sharp as I'd like it.
Plasti-Dip will peel off quickly where your knees rub on the tank panels. I think I gave you a chunk of green honing compound with that Lansky sharpener thing. If you still have that, you can work a bunch of the compound into a fine cloth or scrap of leather and see if elbow grease will improve things. You can also put it onto a dremel buffing wheel/pad, but it's hard to get consistent results across a large surface when using the little buffing wheels, so run it slowly and with light pressure.

A wrap is an option ... choices on Amazon.

Yes, please, I forgot I lent it out.

Are you sure that's not meant to be a brushed finish?
No problem. Can drop it off this week. Had it on the bike for last burger night at Gladiator but you didn't come.

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be brushed or not...haven't seen many in person.

Plasti-Dip will peel off quickly where your knees rub on the tank panels. I think I gave you a chunk of green honing compound with that Lansky sharpener thing. If you still have that, you can work a bunch of the compound into a fine cloth or scrap of leather and see if elbow grease will improve things. You can also put it onto a dremel buffing wheel/pad, but it's hard to get consistent results across a large surface when using the little buffing wheels, so run it slowly and with light pressure.
Will look for that. Thanks for the reminder!

No problem. Can drop it off this week. Had it on the bike for last burger night at Gladiator but you didn't come.

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be brushed or not...haven't seen many in person.

Will look for that. Thanks for the reminder!

Apparently those side panels are painted aluminum, so another option is to simply repaint them, or alternatively strip the pain and finish in your choice of polished or brushed.

This person decided to strip the paint but leave enough to give it a weathered look:

Here's a brushed finish:

20190319_170302-jpg.39823

Apparently those side panels are painted aluminum, so another option is to simply repaint them, or alternatively strip the pain and finish in your choice of polished or brushed.

This person decided to strip the paint but leave enough to give it a weathered look:

Wow didn't see that...could be the easiest of options.

Love the GTAM community, always very helpful and find things I wasn't able to easily!

Thanks @Mad Mike @Relax @Ash @LBV for the suggestions.

Here's a brushed finish:

20190319_170302-jpg.39823
Wow that looks sexy...

If I take off the panels, I'll replace the bad stickers with something like @Relax showed in the photo above...much nicer look to it.

Installed a shiny new chain!!!

Seems weird to take a grinder to the factory chain to get it off.

Feel like using a sledge hammer to fix your motorcycle lol
Google Photos
Google Photos
Tip: Next time cut right thru the link with your grinder, saves a little time as you don't need to break out the chain tool.

That's priceless. I do need a new bolt cutter, but will probably only be used on chains or maybe threaded rod. Any recommendations, or are they all pretty much the same for light duty stuff?
I don't have anything special. Obviously larger is easier. I'm pretty sure I'm cut some using a set of toolbox bolt cutters (12"?) but it's been a while and those require a lot of effort (or pipes).

Ripping out the large workbench this weekend, anyone interested?
If not to the curb it goes..

Ripping out the large workbench this weekend, anyone interested?
If not to the curb it goes..
Did you figure out the thickness of the top yet? A piece of 1/4" plate that large is great material for projects (and is too heavy to move by hand), a piece of sheet metal probably isn't worth the effort to retrieve from far (but local scrap metal guys will like it).

Never looked, but a scrap guy lives on my road so no issues getting rid of metal.
To the curb it goes...

Back
Top Bottom