What are you reading? | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are you reading?

Strange debut novel - the appeal is it is set entirely in Tasmania and using actual locations so I'm following those locations on gmap and actually viewing them
So he is describing the boardwalks at Cradle Lake ....et voila
Interesting journey and some sparkles of real innovation in the writing.
Fairly unique set of circumstances for me 🍿
Two more novels from him and will be in Tas when reading.
Making me chuckle as he talks about the bakery town of Exeter and up pops Exeter Bakery.
1717302352660.png

Last edited:
Reading about Canada's heroic defence of it's assigned beach, "Holding Juno" by Mark Zuehlke.
The book is a great presentation with amazing detail on what happened 80 years ago on this day.

Save me the research..

What's the census on Kindle vs Kobo?
Which one is better?

Save me the research..

What's the census on Kindle vs Kobo?
Which one is better?

I have and would just get a Kindle (have a current gen Paperwhite right now). They have 90% market share and are the default product in this space.

I have and would just get a Kindle (have a current gen Paperwhite right now). They have 90% market share and are the default product in this space.
Ok.

It's for my 14 year old daughter.
She got a Kobo for her bday and I am not sure if the Kindle is better.

Sound like it is.
We may have the ask to get it changed.

In all honesty, I don't think there's much difference b/w the two. If it's just for reading...it's the same thing IMO.

I've always liked Kobo as I've used them more often, but I haven't done much physical reading recently.

In all honesty, I don't think there's much difference b/w the two. If it's just for reading...it's the same thing IMO.

I've always liked Kobo as I've used them more often, but I haven't done much physical reading recently.
I guess the question is which has better access to more/better content.

Do all of them have access to the library rental systems?

I guess the question is which has better access to more/better content.

Do all of them have access to the library rental systems?
I believe they do, but it's been a while since I used my Kobo/Kindle. I had both and preferred the Kobo.

Mind you this was a decade ago when Kindle was locked to Amazon library only, whereas Kobo allowed you to read anything you can get on it, and the library system was open to it.

Which reminds me, I need to renew my TPL card.

1724273390049.png
Making me laugh in a very good way. (y)
Great antidote to Fatal Shore about Australia's convict past...but nary a laugh in all the hundreds of pages.
Of course I just had to finish the convicts tale off with the companion piece.
1724273554423.png
For the Term of His Natural Life is the classic Australian novel of convict life. Relating the intricate and savage interplay between the gaolers and the gaoled, Marcus Clarke weaves the tragic tale of his wrongfully convicted hero Rufus Dawes.
Published in 1872 pretty much contemporary with the transport era. A Victorian novel while lurid is engaging.

Finally some relief from dire Australian convict history

1725244715695.png and 1725244799702.png much fun,
a winsome crim heroine/erratic firewitch ala Dickens and her besotted troll love interest.
Not for everyone but lots of laughter for me.

1725244956216.png
interesting pas de deux of two of may favourite artists.

Last edited:
1725402286731.png
Really enjoying this and while it is not a true story - it feels like one and is based on the authors experiences. Very engaging and the movie was not bad either. ( The Way Back 2010 )

1725729327228.png
snip
On 17 January 1913, alone and near starvation, Douglas Mawson, leader of the Australasian Antarctic Expedition, was hauling a sledge to get back to base camp. The dogs were gone. Then Mawson plunged through a snow bridge, dangling over an abyss by the sledge harness. A line of poetry gave him the will to haul himself back to the surface. Mawson was sometimes reduced to crawling and one night he discovered that the soles of his feet had detached from the flesh beneath. On 8 February, he staggered back to base, his features unrecognisably skeletal. Illustrated by a trove of Frank Hurley's Antarctic photographs, this thrilling, almost unbelievable account establishes Mawson in his rightful place as one of the greatest polar explorers and expedition leaders.
Sir Edmum Hillary summed up Mawsons solo effort...
His final verdict on that journey deserves to stand as the enduring epigraph to Mawson’s deed: “The greatest survival story in the history of exploration.”
I visited the Mawson Museum in Hobart Tasmania and wish I had read this book prior to our trip as I would love to see now the extensive exhibits...would mean much more.
As it was we marvelled at the primitive ( by today's standards) gear they used. The site of their main camp...The Hut was actually determined recently to be the "windiest place on earth". :eek: Mawson spent two Antartic winters there ....accompanied by one of his team mates who was going mad and ended up in asylums for the rest of his life.

514fhEmeljL._SY780_.jpg

The Icelandic author did not do much for me but this has been a surprise as it is so far out of my norm.
I do like Fae stories and good writing so I guess I should not be surprised at the appeal.

Back
Top Bottom