What are you currently playing? | Page 13 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are you currently playing?

As @sburns i watched the show and now want to play it.

For me currently, I always loved flying games so borrowed Ace Combat 7 from the library (did you know you can rent video games from the library!?) and it’s Ok…but nothing beats the original Chuck Yeager game…
Who remembers this one?
Secret_Weapons_of_the_Luftwaffe_cover.jpg

I loved flight sims as a kid. Started with Chuck Yeager, but my favourites were the B-17 and Aces series (Aces Over Europe, Aces Over the Pacific, etc).

The problem I have is the modern ones are either straight arcades shooters like Ace Combat or study-level realistic sims with zero concessions for fun. I tried to get into the DCS series a while back, but holy crap is it complex. For me, in making everything hyper-realistic, the fun has been lost. I'm not interested in memorising the 800 steps just to get a plane started and in the air. The Il-2 series is a lot more accessible, but then some of their people online started spouting anti-Ukraine nonsense online, so I've given up on that one. So for now, if I want to chill and check out scenery, I fire up the newest MS Flight Simulator in VR, hit the auto-start button, and mess around without worrying about programming flight plans into the computer etc.

I wonder if I can hack my Wii to play some of these old games. I'm sure there's an emulator out there somewhere...

I'm not sure if I ever played Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, but I played a LOT of Red Baron
redbaron01.bmp.jpg
I remember smashing the "U" key to clear machine gun jams

RIDE 5 recently got added to PS Plus Extra. I downloaded it to try and out and...

...it feels AWFUL. Is there a way to make it feel not awful? I literally can not keep the bike on the track, nevermind go fast.

RIDE 5 recently got added to PS Plus Extra. I downloaded it to try and out and...

...it feels AWFUL. Is there a way to make it feel not awful? I literally can not keep the bike on the track, nevermind go fast.
Adjust control options and go fast...

BG3 with wife and friends.

I didn't enjoy it much by myself but playing it with friends is great. I always wanted to play D&D but never found a group, this is the next best thing.

BG3 with wife and friends.

I didn't enjoy it much by myself but playing it with friends is great. I always wanted to play D&D but never found a group, this is the next best thing.
I'd be open to D&D, but in the same boat, could never find a group

Even if you have a regular group, it's a trope that you can never find a common time to play anyway.
Well, I guess that settles that then. Why even bother... LOL

Well, I guess that settles that then. Why even bother... LOL
High school was the last time that my group regularly played. Things got harder to schedule once we were into post-secondary education and reached drinking age, and dropped off to almost nothing as everyone got jobs and kids. But a group that does one-session or short duration games could work well, rather than long LotR-style campaigns that stretch over months.

A portion of my high school group now plays online Diablo instead, and is trying to convince me to buy the new expansion. It's not really the same, but it's way easier to drop in or out of that when schedules permit. BG3 or Divinity 2 are definitely closer to the in-person D&D experience.

Speaking of games I played in high school, I've been getting back into "VGA Planets" (which I played back in the mid 90s by dialing into a BBS to upload/download my turn file each day).

It was one of the most addicting games for me back in the day - basically a 4x style (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate) strategy game which the author compared to "an 11-player chess game in which all players move all their pieces simultaneously, one turn at a time".

Although most of the fanbase moved on to the web-paged based "Planets Nu" game, which introduced new rulesets and even new races a large section of die-hard fans still play the "original" game via the Planets Central website ( PlanetsCentral - Home ) which is where I'm wasting my time these days. You can still use the original DOS client to play, or the Win 3.1 "WinPlan" version - but most use the more up-to-date "Planets Command Center II" software.

Someone mentioned BBSes on here awhile ago... anyone else play VGAP back in the day??

Speaking of games I played in high school, I've been getting back into "VGA Planets" (which I played back in the mid 90s by dialing into a BBS to upload/download my turn file each day).

It was one of the most addicting games for me back in the day - basically a 4x style (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate) strategy game which the author compared to "an 11-player chess game in which all players move all their pieces simultaneously, one turn at a time".

Although most of the fanbase moved on to the web-paged based "Planets Nu" game, which introduced new rulesets and even new races a large section of die-hard fans still play the "original" game via the Planets Central website ( PlanetsCentral - Home ) which is where I'm wasting my time these days. You can still use the original DOS client to play, or the Win 3.1 "WinPlan" version - but most use the more up-to-date "Planets Command Center II" software.

Someone mentioned BBSes on here awhile ago... anyone else play VGAP back in the day??
I haven't played VGA Planets, but I have played a tiny bit of 'Stars!' which looks extremely similar. It's before my time, but I'm curious if anyone here has ever played the play-by-mail (paper mail, not e-mail!) predecessors of these sorts of games?

A couple of years ago I tried Stellaris, but didn't get too far into it. Games with extremely deep technical systems usually catch and hold my attention for years, but the initial Stellaris learning curve was a little too much and it never got its hooks into me.

Back
Top Bottom