Used car sanity check | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Used car sanity check

Bought a low mileage (120k kms) 2005 Acura TSX for one of the kids today.
A condom woulda been cheaper.
Funny. My cousin just bought a 2003 or so for his son as well. Nice looking car.

I always loved the TSX model. From what I know, they're great cars.

LTFT crept up to 18% while idling, STFT had a normal looking sweep. Currently no longer any codes pending, attempted the "GM drive cycle" that gets posted everywhere on the internet. O2 and EVAP monitors still not cleared though. I did see a P0324 ("Knock Control System Error") pending at one point yesterday, which is not surprising given the rattling it's doing.

However...

I've noticed that it's overfilled with oil by quite a bit. Oil that has a bit of sparkle to it. I feel like either their mechanic(s) are incompetent (could be, tire pressures were wrong and TPMS was not learned correctly) or they are officially not dealing with me in good faith.
18% is pretty high. I would be looking for a vacuum leak but it could also be a bad sensor, injectors, etc. Vacuum leak could be the reason for rough running, stalling at idle.

Overfill of oil can cause oil starvation if it is enough to get foamed up by moving parts. Sparkle in the oil may be metal or nothing???

At this point I would at least ask them for your money back given how long they have had the car vs how long you have. I doubt they will though. Next ask could be for them to take it to a Cadillac dealer as their mechanic doesn't seem to know what they are doing with this specific car.

Seems like the front bumper may have gotten cracked during the tow. 😢 I was super conflicted contacting CAA about it because I liked the tow truck driver.

Honestly I'm baffled because I watched him load it onto the flatbed, and he seemed like he knew what he was doing. I can't say that about every tow I've had.

Seems like the front bumper may have gotten cracked during the tow. 😢 I was super conflicted contacting CAA about it because I liked the tow truck driver.

Honestly I'm baffled because I watched him load it onto the flatbed, and he seemed like he knew what he was doing. I can't say that about every tow I've had.
Had them tow my RR for a check up and when i went to pick it up from the dealer i noticed my front rim was scratched. Loading looked fine, but I didn't attend the unload so who knows.

That sucks, sorry to hear about your misfortunes.

Thankfully my own recent purchasing experience has been top notch (knock on wood). I have factory CPO warranty for another 5k, so I'll need to get under the car soon to see if I want to extend it or not.

Still waiting to hear back from the dealer and/or CAA. Going to ping both on Monday if they don't manage to call me first.

On a positive note I learned that we do in fact have an engine crane in the family inventory, was wondering if I should keep an eye out for a used one haha

I guess that’s a positive….having an engine crane when you’re not a mechanic…

Had them tow my RR for a check up and when i went to pick it up from the dealer i noticed my front rim was scratched. Loading looked fine, but I didn't attend the unload so who knows.

That sucks, sorry to hear about your misfortunes.

Thankfully my own recent purchasing experience has been top notch (knock on wood). I have factory CPO warranty for another 5k, so I'll need to get under the car soon to see if I want to extend it or not.
I'm just learning that the VW i picked up has factory warranty on emissions and engine parts till 200.000

New update! Dealer said that after assessing the car, they think it's possible that some of the parts used in the timing chain replacement were defective. So they have ordered parts to do the job again - I may have it back next week.

Haven't heard back from CAA yet. They *might* have called me today but didn't leave a message (but really hard to tell, I get so many nuisance calls)

New update! Dealer said that after assessing the car, they think it's possible that some of the parts used in the timing chain replacement were defective. So they have ordered parts to do the job again - I may have it back next week.

Haven't heard back from CAA yet. They *might* have called me today but didn't leave a message (but really hard to tell, I get so many nuisance calls)

I've heard that excuse from a Ducati dealership when they tried covering up improperly installed timing belts.

Update!!!

They have the parts now for the timing chain, but "the" "mechanic" has again emphasized that the clutch is "sticky". However!!! Since I have been a patient and understanding customer (real talk: I worked retail. unless you are insulting my intelligence I am not going to blow up on the phone) they are going to do a complimentary clutch replacement at the same time, and they're going to extend the warranty an unspecified amount (otherwise it would run out before I get it back). They are ordering the clutch and it's going to take 7-9 business days to arrive.

The clutch replacement is interesting, for a couple reasons - one, there are no cheap aftermarket clutches for the ATS, so it is going to have to be OEM parts. Two, I still don't think there's actually anything wrong with the clutch... so replacing it is either going to prove that, or the car is going to start magically driving better.

As for me, I have access to other vehicles (and two plated motorcycles) so I can continue to soldier through this. I will admit I have been experiencing deep regret over ignoring the advice I received to walk away from this, ignoring common sense, and my gut. But hey! I'm losing less sleep over it and my weight is coming back up, lol

Update!!!

They have the parts now for the timing chain, but "the" "mechanic" has again emphasized that the clutch is "sticky". However!!! Since I have been a patient and understanding customer (real talk: I worked retail. unless you are insulting my intelligence I am not going to blow up on the phone) they are going to do a complimentary clutch replacement at the same time, and they're going to extend the warranty an unspecified amount (otherwise it would run out before I get it back). They are ordering the clutch and it's going to take 7-9 business days to arrive.

The clutch replacement is interesting, for a couple reasons - one, there are no cheap aftermarket clutches for the ATS, so it is going to have to be OEM parts. Two, I still don't think there's actually anything wrong with the clutch... so replacing it is either going to prove that, or the car is going to start magically driving better.

As for me, I have access to other vehicles (and two plated motorcycles) so I can continue to soldier through this. I will admit I have been experiencing deep regret over ignoring the advice I received to walk away from this, ignoring common sense, and my gut. But hey! I'm losing less sleep over it and my weight is coming back up, lol
Well at least you will have everything new

Update!!!

What's going on with this pile? Hopefully it comes to a satisfactory conclusion soon.

It was potentially going to be ready for this past Monday (July 8), but they still haven't called me yet. They received the clutch last week and presumably installed it.

I am *guessing* that the shop delivered the car back to the dealer, the dealer test drove it, and then rejected it for some reason. However I am speculating and they probably would not confirm this to me

Back
Top Bottom