Used car sanity check | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Used car sanity check

Picked it up today!

Service manager said that they replaced the timing chain... hrmm, that gave me a bad feeling. They also repeated their implication that I have damaged the clutch, saying it is "rougher". Sure enough, after leaving the lot, I detected an engine speed rattle. I circled back around, and demonstrated the noise. She confirmed the noise, and said THIS is what they brought it back before. They've decided not to worry about it... uh-huh. 36 day warranty starts now. Drove it home, and it sounds bad... no misfire though. It stalled in neutral twice. Clutch seems mint to me however!

P0137 and P2270 are pending

Tires are "Joyroad RX6 Sport". Hmmmm... the ad said all-season tires.

Pondering my next move. Sounds like it would be easier to get them to take it back if I got the codes to set... don't think that will be hard. I also feel like it will eat a valve if I drive it enough. That will be difficult to argue

Picked it up today!

Service manager said that they replaced the timing chain... hrmm, that gave me a bad feeling. They also repeated their implication that I have damaged the clutch, saying it is "rougher". Sure enough, after leaving the lot, I detected an engine speed rattle. I circled back around, and demonstrated the noise. She confirmed the noise, and said THIS is what they brought it back before. They've decided not to worry about it... uh-huh. 36 day warranty starts now. Drove it home, and it sounds bad... no misfire though. It stalled in neutral twice. Clutch seems mint to me however!

P0137 and P2270 are pending

Tires are "Joyroad RX6 Sport". Hmmmm... the ad said all-season tires.

Pondering my next move. Sounds like it would be easier to get them to take it back if I got the codes to set... don't think that will be hard. I also feel like it will eat a valve if I drive it enough. That will be difficult to argue
Can you grab the fuel trim using your reader, both long and short term.

Both codes imply O2 sensor problems, with P2270 a persistent lean condition. Lots of positive fuel trim is my expectation.

LTFT crept up to 18% while idling, STFT had a normal looking sweep. Currently no longer any codes pending, attempted the "GM drive cycle" that gets posted everywhere on the internet. O2 and EVAP monitors still not cleared though. I did see a P0324 ("Knock Control System Error") pending at one point yesterday, which is not surprising given the rattling it's doing.

However...

I've noticed that it's overfilled with oil by quite a bit. Oil that has a bit of sparkle to it. I feel like either their mechanic(s) are incompetent (could be, tire pressures were wrong and TPMS was not learned correctly) or they are officially not dealing with me in good faith.

LTFT crept up to 18% while idling, STFT had a normal looking sweep. Currently no longer any codes pending, attempted the "GM drive cycle" that gets posted everywhere on the internet. O2 and EVAP monitors still not cleared though. I did see a P0324 ("Knock Control System Error") pending at one point yesterday, which is not surprising given the rattling it's doing.

However...

I've noticed that it's overfilled with oil by quite a bit. Oil that has a bit of sparkle to it. I feel like either their mechanic(s) are incompetent (could be, tire pressures were wrong and TPMS was not learned correctly) or they are officially not dealing with me in good faith.
At this point, I'd be inclined to drive the piss out of it. If it blows, time to test the warranty coverage. If it doesn't, ok, you have an affordable slightly clapped out summer car.

Just bounced it back to them on a tow truck. P0324 did set finally, currently no other codes and all the monitors have cleared except for EVAP. Rattle got worse, and car has a habit of stalling at slow speeds. The stalling is bad enough that I didn't really want to drive it back (tired of people honking at me) and I have CAA anyway.

you do under ontario law have 30 days to return anything you buy.

Could be wrong, but car sales are final unless stated otherwise

you do under ontario law have 30 days to return anything you buy.
This is wrong. Show me where.

You can cancel or have a ‘cool off period’ for items that people come and sell to you at home.

Once you decide to go to a dealership, go through the motions, and go through with the purchase of a vehicle…there is no cooling off period.

But please prove to me where I’m wrong, because I hope I am.

I would say selling a unsafe car might be a breach of contract.
Well now that’s a different beast. What is an unsafe car? Safety is valid for 36 days, and a safety consists of relative minor items.

IMO, OP has a difficult battle ahead of him if he chooses to fight it…unless the dealer ponies up and makes things right.

This is wrong. Show me where.

You can cancel or have a ‘cool off period’ for items that people come and sell to you at home.

Once you decide to go to a dealership, go through the motions, and go through with the purchase of a vehicle…there is no cooling off period.

But please prove to me where I’m wrong, because I hope I am.
Was my understanding that when said dealership sells something that is unsafe and is registered as safe that is a breach of contract. i might be wrong

In Ontario there is no cooling-off period when it comes to buying or leasing a car. Sales are final once contracts are signed unless the dealer has failed to make certain specified disclosure.

I'm reading the last half of this paragraph.

Would probably not be worth the time and money wasted to go to courts, Although the courts do go hard on small businesses

Last edited:
In Ontario there is no cooling-off period when it comes to buying or leasing a car. Sales are final once contracts are signed unless the dealer has failed to make certain specified disclosure.

I'm reading the last half of this paragraph.
That’s the tough part.

‘We didn’t know your honour. We did our best to rectify but cars fail sometime.’

In any case I hope the dealer makes OP whole and rectifies the situation.

Was my understanding that when said dealership sells something that is unsafe and is registered as safe that is a breach of contract. i might be wrong
A safety does not mean the vehicle is safe. It means it passed the mandated inspection. I'd be shocked if a knock issue had anything to do with a safety. Reading through the checklist it looks like the engine needs to start and stop on command. I didn't see anything that required it to keep running.

Hopefully they can fix the car. Unwinding a sale leaving the dealer with a turd will be a really tough fight imo.

Kinda curious how the dealers online reviews are as all used car dealers are bound to have some bad press as the nature of the business but are theirs particularly poor?
If theirs aren't over the top bad there may be some hope for a semi satisfactorily resolution.
Wishing you good luck on this.

Back
Top Bottom