Two nights camping in Pennsylvania at Ole Bull State Park | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Two nights camping in Pennsylvania at Ole Bull State Park

You were not too far from the Kinzua bridge collapse, the Austin Dam collapse and the Centralia ghost town. Maybe next time.

My mom asked me how is it even fun to go alone. My response to her was I can't think of the last time I was able to sleep/wake up whenever I wanted, eat whatever/whenever, go wherever I wanted without worrying about getting there at a certain time. From the moment I left the house, it was a freedom I haven't felt in a long time. I had lunch at 3pm, ate beef jerky for dinner. On day 3 as I rode out into cell coverage, a message immediately popped up from my wife asking when I'll be home. Knowing she had to care for the kids by herself the past few days I decided Day 3 wasn't a "freedom" day and cancelled the Kinzua stop and beelined it home. Plus my ass was really hurting from the long riding days.

Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of fun to travel with a group but there's just something about travelling alone on your own terms. That feeling is amplified when there's no cell coverage at camp.

I completely forgot about Centralia... next time for sure.

Honestly, if we went back to the pre-cell phone days, I'd be perfectly ok with it.

I think of it more as freedom.
Be honest how many times a day do you "check" your phone.
You know how many times a day I check my phone?
Not sure what 'check' your phone even means. I use it to respond to people contacting me, or to see what friends/family are up to (travel, life events, etc), or engage with the community on here.

What's the alternative? Call you and ask to come over to see your photos from Iceland? Wait till I get home and send you an email from the PC? I can't imagine how much time has been saved and put towards furthering other things in my life.

Then there's the professional side; contacting staff/students throughout the day. Being able to call emergency services immediately for injured students instead of looking for a payphone. Capturing memories instantly and sharing them to anyone who cares.

I'm good.

Back
Top Bottom