Speed camera threshold? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speed camera threshold?

Our "speed camera" by the local school spent much of its life lying face down on the ground (like the local drunk) and now it gone. It also got sprayed with black paint on a regular basis. I think these cameras were universally hated.

Nah….it’s back up.......

You know what to do, Guy.

11678528_e7e8ebfa31_b.jpg

Last edited:
You know what to do, Guy.

11678528_e7e8ebfa31_b.jpg
While I hate that the cameras represent anything besides a money grab...I'm ok with them being near schools.

But that's as far as I'm ok with them around. Outside of that...knock em down.

I got dinged in Hamilton for doing 47kms in a school zone. This surprised me, even for the corrupt Hamilton councillors. Then I noticed the details of the ticket stating that it was a 30km zone. I'd never heard of a 30km school zone. Likely they created it for a money-grab.
For those who are unaware, Hamilton uses traffic tickets as an income, posting speed traps in sneaky places. Often on out-of-the-way roads just before a speed limit change.
I grew up in Brantford and had one speeding ticket it 18 years of driving there. I moved to Hamilton for 6 years and collected 6 speeding tickets! All within 15kms of the limit. I've been back in Brantford for 4 years now and have received only that one school zone ticket while I was in Hamilton. Avoid Hamilton when possible.

I got dinged in Hamilton for doing 47kms in a school zone. This surprised me, even for the corrupt Hamilton councillors. Then I noticed the details of the ticket stating that it was a 30km zone. I'd never heard of a 30km school zone. Likely they created it for a money-grab.
For those who are unaware, Hamilton uses traffic tickets as an income, posting speed traps in sneaky places. Often on out-of-the-way roads just before a speed limit change.
I grew up in Brantford and had one speeding ticket it 18 years of driving there. I moved to Hamilton for 6 years and collected 6 speeding tickets! All within 15kms of the limit. I've been back in Brantford for 4 years now and have received only that one school zone ticket while I was in Hamilton. Avoid Hamilton when possible.
Same and AGREED.

I can't remember whether it was 1 or 2 years ago when they started dropping speed limits around schools and 'community safety zones' from 40kph down to 30kph.

Lot of the smaller roads also went down from 50 down to 40.

While I understand that pedestrian safety and road safety are important...at some point in time it's a blatant money grab instead of a safety issue.

Toronto started 2022 with 50 cameras. They added 25 more. Council just voted unanimously to add another 75. Go safety! (Cough, fundraising).

"The numbers tell a tale: in the 10 months since the camera was installed on Parkside Dr. in April 2022, 21,252 tickets have been issued for speeding infractions—the most among Automated Speed Enforcement (ASE) cameras in operation. It is also the camera in operation the longest.
The average fine in Toronto of $107 per ticket, meaning the city has accrued an estimated $2,273,964 in revenue from this lone traffic camera."

The unfortunate thing is that there are idiots who do 60 - 70 kph and more in school zones and rather than dealing with these idiots they lower the limit from 40 to 30 and use speed cameras to catch everyone.

IMO 30 to too low a limit, should have been left at 40 and enforced properly. I know the 30 limit is based on pedestrian survivability in an accident and that there is an exponential relationship to speed and death and injury.

Lower speed roads are associated with a reduced risk of pedestrian motor vehicle collision (PMVC) as well as less severe PMVC injuries [5]. A comprehensive literature review that examined pedestrian fatality risk as a function of car impact speed showed that for every 1.6 km/h reduction in speed, PMVC frequency was reduced by 5% [6]. The chance of surviving a collision with a motor vehicle traveling at 50 km/h is less than 20%; whereas, survival increases to 50% at 40–45 km/h and 90% at 30 km/h [1]. Globally, studies in South Africa, New Zealand, Europe, and North America have shown that average vehicle speeds are reduced by 8–40% after speed limits are lowered from 60 km/h to 50 km/h [7]. A meta-analysis of impact speed and pedestrian fatality risk supports setting speed limits of 30–40 km/h for high pedestrian activity areas as the risk of a fatality reaches 5% at an estimated impact speed of 30 km/h [8]. Although many studies report a reduction in severe PMVC injuries and crash risk after lowering speed limits, speed limit reductions have not been well studied using controlled quasi experimental designs [5, 9, 10].

Our local school up the street used to be a war zone in the morning. Hyper aggressive parents racing to the curb, dropping off the kids and then speeding away, god forbid you delay them for a second. School put up a bunch of cones to control traffic and had teachers out to maintain control and in some cases speak to parents.

"The numbers tell a tale: in the 10 months since the camera was installed on Parkside Dr. in April 2022, 21,252 tickets have been issued for speeding infractions—the most among Automated Speed Enforcement (ASE) cameras in operation. It is also the camera in operation the longest.
The average fine in Toronto of $107 per ticket, meaning the city has accrued an estimated $2,273,964 in revenue from this lone traffic camera."
I pass by that camera all the time. My commute to work used to take me right past there for years twice a day every day. Only accidents I ever saw on that stretch were a couple raccoons.

Back
Top Bottom