Speed camera threshold? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Speed camera threshold?

Cover your plate and drive past a bunch of times gradually faster till you get flashed. Let us know how it goes.

This reminds me of those displays that use radar and flashes your speed if you're exceeding the limit. People were using to try to set top speed records. Now if you're 15 over the limit, it just displays, "Too fast" instead of the actual speed...

They always seem to find a way to ruin everyone's fun.

Curious to know how little over the limit people are getting dinged for by these things.
Letter of the law appears to allow ticketing 1 km/h over. In practice, I havent heard on a ticket below 10 over from the cameras. That could change at any time for any location though.

Not sure….but 20 over is about a $200 ticket. Sister found out the hard way last week.

In theory if you go fast enough the camera may not snap the pic.

This reminds me of those displays that use radar and flashes your speed if you're exceeding the limit. People were using to try to set top speed records. Now if you're 15 over the limit, it just displays, "Too fast" instead of the actual speed...

They always seem to find a way to ruin everyone's fun.

My goal was always "---"

Top gear tried it with uk speed cameras. Iirc, it was in the ballpark of 300 km/h. That will be hard on parkside drive.
[/QUOTE]
As a kid I lived near Parkside Drive and for amusement we stood around the cop on radar duty, watching him nab southbound speeders, just north of the Queensway. The radar unit was the size of a suitcase and stood on a tripod, recording on a roll of paper. A bunch of brats making monkey faces at the speeder was insult on top of injury.

One day the machine went berserk showing speeds of 50 to 70 MPH (80-110 KPH) without a car in sight. Looking closer there was someone sweeping their sidewalk. That could have been an interesting court challenge. "It was my windshield wipers"

I tend to do percentages for over the limit. 10 kph over won't get you on the 401 but will in 20 kph High Park. 10% on the 401 = 110 kph, 22 kph in the park. If you get a ticket for 10% over there's more to the story.
Or the cop just has nothing better to do.

My typical is 10-15 over in anything up to 60.

70 and up I’m cruising 15-25 over and still getting cars blowing by me on the left.

Speed camera thresholds have nothing to do with what actual cops will let you get away with. I have yet to hear of a speed camera ticket for less than 10 over, and thus far, they are mostly in 40 or 50 speed zones. The fine schedules are based on number over the limit, not percentage over, and it's probably not worth the trouble / not worth stirring public opposition for them to pursue tickets for any less than 10 over. That's 20% over a 50 speed limit...

Interesting related story. I suspect the politician was incorrect in their threshold quote but obviously have no information to dispute it.

Speed limits could be increased in Mississauga school zones late at night and in the early morning hours if one city councillor gets his way.

Ward 1 Coun. Stephen Dasko moved a motion at Mississauga City Council on Dec. 7, asking staff to report back on the possibility of raising speed limits in school zones by up to 10 kilometres an hour when children are not present.

Dasko told CP24.com that he envisions speed limits remaining capped at 30 kilometres an hour between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m. but going up to 40 kilometres an hour later at night and in the early morning hours when children have long since gone home.

“I'm extremely ambitious when it comes to road safety and I'm very mindful of that but at the same time I want to be realistic and I don't want to have road safety confused with a cash grab,” he said.

Dasko said that there wouldn’t have previously been a need for time-based speed limits in school zones, as police would have been able to utilize discretion in who they ticketed.

But he said that since Mississauga’s automated speed enforcement devices became active in the summer of 2021 he has heard from “quite a few people” who have been ticketed for “doing 36 kilometres and hour in a 30 zone at 11 o clock at night” or something similar.

Mississauga has 22 automatic speed enforcement devices that are frequently rotated around the city.

“I think reasonableness has to be put into good policymaking,” Dasko said.

Last edited:
Interesting related story. I suspect the politician was incorrect in their threshold quote but obviously have no information to dispute it.

Speed limits could be increased in Mississauga school zones late at night and in the early morning hours if one city councillor gets his way.

Ward 1 Coun. Stephen Dasko moved a motion at Mississauga City Council on Dec. 7, asking staff to report back on the possibility of raising speed limits in school zones by up to 10 kilometres an hour when children are not present.

Dasko told CP24.com that he envisions speed limits remaining capped at 30 kilometres an hour between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m. but going up to 40 kilometres an hour later at night and in the early morning hours when children have long since gone home.

“I'm extremely ambitious when it comes to road safety and I'm very mindful of that but at the same time I want to be realistic and I don't want to have road safety confused with a cash grab,” he said.

Dasko said that there wouldn’t have previously been a need for time-based speed limits in school zones, as police would have been able to utilize discretion in who they ticketed.

But he said that since Mississauga’s automated speed enforcement devices became active in the summer of 2021 he has heard from “quite a few people” who have been ticketed for “doing 36 kilometres and hour in a 30 zone at 11 o clock at night” or something similar.

Mississauga has 22 automatic speed enforcement devices that are frequently rotated around the city.

“I think reasonableness has to be put into good policymaking,” Dasko said.
40k let's not turn these areas into racetracks.

Sent from the future

my coworker received one for 5 over... Will have to find out where this one was.

Back
Top Bottom