Olds Cool... Post-up Pics of your 10 year or older bike! | Page 15 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Olds Cool... Post-up Pics of your 10 year or older bike!

d8593d8a.jpg

My first bike, all fixed up. I'll have to check the plate. I think it's a '71.

Last edited:
What are you doing to the motor? I am eager to see the results of your rebuild!

nothing is being done to the motor mechanically, other than a clean up, paint and polish... engine will be black with all covers polished

Looking good. I have been compelled for some time to purchase something similar just to restore it cosmetically. Gotta love the bullet proof GS engines.

I can't find the thread with the 30yr old bikes, so I'll just post it here.

1980 Yamaha SR500

6948979006_b52e0fd24a_c.jpg

6948976964_57f9754cfe_c.jpg

Here is my recently restored 1982 Honda CB900F Super Sport... Just needs a couple of small things done to it but it runs pretty freaking great considering its age, and sitting in storage for 27 years.

img3165z.jpg

img3163w.jpg

RicoChet; That is one BEAUTIFUL CB900F. One of my all-time favourite CB's. Well done. Hang on to her, these will sky-rocket in value over the next few years.

RicoChet; That is one BEAUTIFUL CB900F. One of my all-time favourite CB's. Well done. Hang on to her, these will sky-rocket in value over the next few years.

You are the 3rd person to tell me NOT to sell that bike. To be honest with you, I payed $700 for the bike (It was in pretty bad condition) I put about $600 worth of mechanics time into it, then some parts (missing mirrors ETC) so at this point I am not sure how much I could sell it for and make a profit... It seems to be a little high on maintenance, I've got to stick brand new fork springs, oil and seals on it now but I think at that point it is going to ride almost like brand new... (BTW how do you add springs into the forks on this thing??)

I am still looking to meet other CB900/CB1100 owners who are in the area who can help familiarize me with some of its regular maintenance needs... This bike is a far cry from my 2008 M109R in almost every way, something new for me.

Last edited:
The forks need to come off. 15-20 minutes of work. I would wait until you need to replace the tires or pads.
I have a shop manual for a CB750, but not for the CB900, so I cannot advise on the exact procedure for a fork spring change.
I'm sure somebody else will chime in with advice. BTW, I would carefully peel that ridiculous sticker off the tail. :)

The forks need to come off. 15-20 minutes of work. I would wait until you need to replace the tires or pads.
I have a shop manual for a CB750, but not for the CB900, so I cannot advise on the exact procedure for a fork spring change.
I'm sure somebody else will chime in with advice. BTW, I would carefully peel that ridiculous sticker off the tail. :)

The picture you see above is literally the day I went to go see the bike when I went to buy it. The guy I bought it from, a friend of mine from work... kept it in his garage since 1985 and it was under a BLANKET.
What your seeing in the picture is how it looked after sitting all that time, all it needed was being wiped down with a micro-fiber cloth and some metal polish for the chrome.. and of course, removing that sticker with some rubbing alcohol and now she looks much better!

I already did change the tires and brake pads, I am riding this thing currently... It's just that the springs and oil are so old that I can bottom out the front end even going over a very mild speed bump at low speed. way too soft. Thats why I am looking to change them out this weekend if its possible

I am still looking to meet other CB900/CB1100 owners who are in the area who can help familiarize me with some of its regular maintenance needs...

Don't want to scare you, but I remember that bike had pretty bad rep for propensity to drop out of gear and/or brake con rods. By all means do some research and connect to other owners/boards to find out what the problems were and how to prevent them from occurring.

Don't want to scare you, but I remember that bike had pretty bad rep for propensity to drop out of gear and/or brake con rods. By all means do some research and connect to other owners/boards to find out what the problems were and how to prevent them from occurring.

I'm not scared, if that bike busts up that bad I would just sell it out for parts.... There are other people I know who are a lot more attached to that bike then I am, and they don't even own it... But thanks for the heads up! My mechanic is the first person on that list of people who would pay anything to get that bike into their hands...

Also, I ride my bikes like a grandpa, they are pampered a little too much.. Rarely hit even half the RPM range they are capable of. Yeah I know LOL

I'm not scared, if that bike busts up that bad I would just sell it out for parts....
Also, I ride my bikes like a grandpa, they are pampered a little too much.. Rarely hit even half the RPM range they are capable of. Yeah I know LOL

Glad to see your head is in the right place. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Gentle riding is a pretty safe way to avoid mechanical trouble, but don't lag it too much either - it can be almost as damaging.

Back in the day CZ Jawa 350 was notoriously unreliable for anyone who liked to wring it's neck. I knew the guy who swore by it though and had the mileage to back it up. He was riding it like it's going to fall apart above 6,000rpm (and it would :) ) so it never gave him any trouble. This brings me to the common problem with some engines of yore - without rev limiters it was easy to rev them to the "damage zone" and keep them there. Some took it well (most of my two strokes were never shifted below red line), but some didn't.

One of my old man's bikes.

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

Back
Top Bottom