Normal car recommendation…. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Normal car recommendation….

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Don’t want to take away from the EV thread so thought I’d just start a new one.

While I really like the GTI 2021 6MT with 25k on the clock I feel it’s not filling the need that the family has right now as a second car. It’s great for me…but effectively prevents wife from using it as she’s not thrilled about the manual transmission.

So looking for something in a similar, or more usable setup.

Budget: 30-35k (ideally with warranty and hopefully winter tires)
Preference: EV
Secondary: anything that’s eligible for green plate
Fuel economy is second to usability
AWD not necessary

Would like it to tow 1000-1500lbs (more the better).

Doesn’t need to sit 3 kids as not much will fit criteria for that in this budget / size (not really interested in another minivan.

Vehicles under consideration:

Primary vehicles under consideration
Bolt EV/EUV
KONA EV

Secondary vehicles under consideration
Nissan Qashqai (parents have one)
VW Golf Sportwagen / Wagon (def out of warranty)
Nissan Rogue
Toyota RAV4H ($$$$$$)
Honda Accord Hybrid
Toyota Camry Hybrid
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Subaru Crosstrek
Honda Civic (new ones are as big as older Accords)

EDIT: forgot the V60 from Volvo but repair and reliability are a concern for me
Same goes for a BMW 330xi. It’s an attainable dream car for me but $$$$

I’m sure there are others out there, but those pop into mind first.

Thanks all! Always great discussions here.

Last edited:
If you want to try a Nissan Rogue, you have my number. You can take it for a no pressure test drive

If you want to try a Nissan Rogue, you have my number. You can take it for a no pressure test drive
How do you like it?

Cousin has one with 550k on it as he drives 70-100k/year and it’s been bulletproof so far outside of minor maintenance issues.

Parents have had multiple Rogues with the old CVT and those were garbage (we had their 2012).

How’s it on fuel? Towing?

Don’t want to take away from the EV thread so thought I’d just start a new one.

While I really like the GTI 2021 6MT with 25k on the clock I feel it’s not filling the need that the family has right now as a second car. It’s great for me…but effectively prevents wife from using it as she’s not thrilled about the manual transmission.

So looking for something in a similar, or more usable setup.

Budget: 30-35k (ideally with warranty and hopefully winter tires)
Preference: EV
Secondary: anything that’s eligible for green plate
Fuel economy is second to usability
AWD not necessary

Would like it to tow 1000-1500lbs (more the better).

Doesn’t need to sit 3 kids as not much will fit criteria for that in this budget / size (not really interested in another minivan.

Vehicles under consideration:

Primary vehicles under consideration
Bolt EV/EUV
KONA EV

Secondary vehicles under consideration
Nissan Qashqai (parents have one)
VW Golf Sportwagen / Wagon (def out of warranty)
Nissan Rogue
Toyota RAV4H ($$$$$$)
Honda Accord Hybrid
Toyota Camry Hybrid
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Subaru Crosstrek
Honda Civic (new ones are as big as older Accords)

I’m sure there are others out there, but those pop into mind first.

Thanks all! Always great discussions here.
Have you looked at a volt

Sent from the future

AWD is less $$$ for 2024 than the hybrid and you can tow with it.
I’m trying to stay as close as I can to the GTI trade value to minimize the outlay.

But will check out fuel ratings for both. I’ve read the hybrid is very efficient.

EDIT: Pretty stark difference in traffic

1703714175736.png

Last edited:
How do you like it?

Cousin has one with 550k on it as he drives 70-100k/year and it’s been bulletproof so far outside of minor maintenance issues.

Parents have had multiple Rogues with the old CVT and those were garbage (we had their 2012).

How’s it on fuel? Towing?
I like it. 2021 model.
We also had the previous generation with the CVT and I didn't like the way it drove.
This one drives better and handles well overall. When I drive I usually turn off all the warning features but they are there.

Spacious with 2 kids and dog.

If you want exact fuel consumption I will have to check but it is not bad. Towing is also pretty good.

May get some hate but I've had nothing but success with kia Sportage

Only one I can comment on is the Civic, we've had our Touring model since they first came out. Decent on gas (easy 6-7.5 l/100 km without babying it in very mixed driving with lots of stop and go), and very comfortable front seats with excellent safety features. As you note, not much smaller than the 2016 Accord I had for a number of years. Drive is okay, will be a real let-down after a GTI, but not bad. CVT isn't irritating, is mostly unobtrusive and you don't notice it unless you accelerate hard for a long time (e.g. pedal to the floor from a stop to 120 km/h). Has had zero significant issues since we got it in mid-2021. The main complaint we had was a slow to boot head unit for Android Auto / Car Play, but that's been fixed with a software update.

Problems include:

- Absolutely no towing with the CVT, not even 500 lbs. At least, as long as the warranty is active.
- Sedan trunk is frustrating, but hatchback is way more money as they're imported from Japan.
- Headroom in the back seat is low for anyone over 6'2" tall. I'm 6'1", and my head brushes the roof if I sit straight and tall.

All in all, it's a great commuter and grocery-getter, but limited in versatility with the sedan trunk and no towing.

Nissan Qashqai we quite liked once we figured out how to get it into reverse. Have rented twice for long trips. Astonished range on the diesel version.

think twice before long trips with the family.

That’s what the Odyssey is for. The EV will be for my commute to and from work, as well as wife using it for work.

Theoretically I can get away with an EV cold range of 150km for my needs. But 300km is my target simply to get to cottage and back without taking car away from wife.

Plus it’s fairly affordable to just upgrade panel at cottage as currently it’s 60A only, but 100A should be doable.

Plus it’s fairly affordable to just upgrade panel at cottage as currently it’s 60A only,

Remember that you can buy 240v/16A EVSE's vs the standard 32a EVSE's. A 16A model only needs a 20a circuit vs a 40a circuit which makes it much easier to make work on a lower amp service. Yes, it charges at half the rate of a standard 32A EVSE, but still many times faster than the 120v portable cord.

Remember that you can buy 240v/16A EVSE's vs the standard 32a EVSE's. A 16A model only needs a 20a circuit vs a 40a circuit which makes it much easier to make work on a lower amp service. Yes, it charges at half the rate of a standard 32A EVSE, but still many times faster than the 120v portable cord.
I have a 40A circuit for my L2 charger at home but the charger I bought has an issue that it keeps blowing up at the rated 30A service. (I may be off on my Amperage recollection but you get the gist of it).

Bought it for $80 as it was non functioning, replaced with a 25A fuse inside, and no issues for 6 years since then.

Apparently it was a fault with the VOLTEC units.

If I get another EV, I’ll take this piece to the cottage, and buy a new / used one for the home as all I need it to connect it since the circuit is already there.

Back
Top Bottom