Load-N-Go Motorcycle Loading Lift - Anyone have this? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Load-N-Go Motorcycle Loading Lift - Anyone have this?

What does an oil thread mean?

There are always ways to improve processes and this is why I am asking for feedback with genuine curiosity. He does a cbr1000rr at 6:30:

I see tons of ppl commenting in the video that they used his method and how it was more efficient. I would secure the back of the bike too.

Do these small bike trailers need to be registered to be used on the road legally? Are there some sort of requirements?

Whats to stop some redneck from hacking up a backyard setup and using it?
Yes, small trailers need to be registered and plated, but it's a one-time $72 fee. Redneck homebuilt trailers are totally legal, and if it's under 900kg empty you just slap the plate on and you're done. No safety inspection of any kind is required.

If your homebuilt is over 900kg empty you need to get a weight slip proving it's weight, but I don't think that involves any kind of safety inspection either.

Yes, small trailers need to be registered and plated, but it's a one-time $72 fee. Redneck homebuilt trailers are totally legal, and if it's under 900kg empty you just slap the plate on and you're done. No safety inspection of any kind is required.

If your homebuilt is over 900kg empty you need to get a weight slip proving it's weight, but I don't think that involves any kind of safety inspection either.

This is correct
I registered my HF trailer kit as home made trailer and I think I paid $50. But that was 10 years ago so I don't remember it well.

It seems really stupid that this is allowed but it is very convenient.
Nothing stops a redneck from slapping some 2x4s together with square wheels and taking it on the highway. Legally.

Very beautiful and extremely clean. I appreciate this. Can this setup work with any bike?

Thanks! Every bike's a little different, but the principles are the same: Look for thick heavy metal beneath the suspension where your straps won't pinch anything or rub against anything. Post a pic of your bike and I'll strap it in photoshop lol

Probably most but not all. A single-sided swingarm would give you headaches with this method. He's using fender mounts to grab the front straps. Some bikes may not have a suitable stop there. I wouldn't want to go to the axle as you would be pulling out too much and down not enough.
GG, don't worry brother, I got you.

Re: Single-sided swing-arm = actually easier to work with.
Picture a VFR in your head. Big thick swing arm on the left side, strap there (just watch for the brake hose). On the other side you have a clear visual line to those beefy cast wheels. Strap to the wheels. Wheels are your friend. It'll actually be easier and quicker because you have no obstructions whatsoever (the exhaust is up higher so it won't be in your way).

Re: Front axle - "pulling out too much and down not enough"
That depends on where your anchor points are.

Assuming you're using a common Harbor Freight 4 x 8 folding trailer, your anchors are around 2 ft out from dead center, and maybe only 14" out from where the axle meets your fork lowers. If you're on a common 120/70ZR17, your tire's around 24" tall, so your axle is 12" off the ground. 12" rise over a 14" run, that's a 49-degree angle. Damn near perfect.

Now if you have some gargantuan 7 ft wide trailer, good on ya, big man. But if you have a trailer that wide and only have anchors on the outside edges and none in the middle, you're just big trailer'ing wrong. (totally a technical term)

Sticking with the front end, just want to add: If the bike has a radial mounted caliper that's a good spot to get a strap below the suspension too. If it doesn't have radial mounted calipers, but it has cast wheels, again, wheels are your friend. Strap to them - but not if they have spokes obvs... (I know you know, just sharing for others :)

This video uses your technique as well:

Anyone tried the same technique with sport bikes? At 0:02, they show a gsxr strapped just like that Honda Shadow above.

No problems with sport bikes. Can often be a lot easier than on the average cruisers as you typically don't have exhaust pipes in the way, and usually the frame is more easily accessible and doesn't have a bunch of wires running all over the frame like cruisers often have.

PS: Sean's a good dude, but he only uses two straps in the video. I always use four.

Firstly, if you use only use two straps, there's nothing to stop the rear end from fish tailing if you need to swerve to change lanes or just like having fun on the on/off ramp.

Secondly, if you only use two straps, and one of them should randomly fail (one in a million chance of anything, right?), you're ******. But if you use four straps, each pointed about 45 degrees forward and 45 degrees out, each strap has a backup that is already doing the exact same job. You could literally cut any one of your straps with a knife, and nothing would happen to the bike because you have a failsafe in place.

DO NOT STRAP A BIKE DOWN LIKE THAT BEARDED GUY.
1)NEVER trailer a bike with the side stand down. Great way to bend or break your frame.
2)ALWAYS compress the front suspension with strap tension. The springs keep the straps tight. His way if the strap loosens even a little the bike goes down... and you DON'T want the suspension to bounce. You want the suspension to take the "stress", NOT the strap.
3)ALWAYS get the two front straps secured as wide as possible at both ends, 45 degree angle is best. More leverage, less stress on the straps.

Might want to give the video a second watch....

1) His sidestand IS out, but the bike is NOT ON the side stand. It's just out.

2) Sean isn't traditional hook-ended straps like I think you're thinking about. He's using his brand of straps which work differently. They form a closed circle around the bike so that even if the strap does stretch a bit, the bike still can't escape. It's like if your keychain expanded an inch overnight, your keys would still be caught in the loop, unable to escape. Because of this, your suspension does NOT have to take ANY stress. It's free to go boingy boing like God and nature intended.

Catch 22 variation, money squared requirement.

If I had more money I could afford a bigger garage to store stuff. Then I'd need more money to buy the stuff to store.

An enclosed trailer with a drop down ramp / door takes a lot of space but gives security, protection and versatility. A decent sized backyard or at least decent access is ideal.

The Load and Go IMO is a lot of money for limited usage. A pickup truck tilt and load with flexible tie down points could be a business venture for delivering all sorts of heavy items as a side gig. Plate compactors, small trees, riding mowers, cement mixers etc.

For a one off personal use, it doesn't appeal to me.

The side stand, and the frame where it attached to, is designed to hold the static mass of the bike. It is NOT designed to take the live load (mass x acceleration) of the bike bouncing and coming down on that side stand... and the way he has the bike tied down allows it to bounce, almost inviting frame damage.

No problems with sport bikes. Can often be a lot easier than on the average cruisers as you typically don't have exhaust pipes in the way, and usually the frame is more easily accessible and doesn't have a bunch of wires running all over the frame like cruisers often have.

PS: Sean's a good dude, but he only uses two straps in the video. I always use four.

Firstly, if you use only use two straps, there's nothing to stop the rear end from fish tailing if you need to swerve to change lanes or just like having fun on the on/off ramp.

Secondly, if you only use two straps, and one of them should randomly fail (one in a million chance of anything, right?), you're ******. But if you use four straps, each pointed about 45 degrees forward and 45 degrees out, each strap has a backup that is already doing the exact same job. You could literally cut any one of your straps with a knife, and nothing would happen to the bike because you have a failsafe in place.

Might want to give the video a second watch....

2) Sean isn't traditional hook-ended straps like I think you're thinking about. He's using his brand of straps which work differently. They form a closed circle around the bike so that even if the strap does stretch a bit, the bike still can't escape. It's like if your keychain expanded an inch overnight, your keys would still be caught in the loop, unable to escape. Because of this, your suspension does NOT have to take ANY stress. It's free to go boingy boing like God and nature intended.

Yes I would always use 4 straps as usual. My anxiety would shoot through the roof with only a pair of straps.

Yes I would always use 4 straps as usual. My anxiety would shoot through the roof with only a pair of straps.
I usually go 5 straps.

Pull straps on the front.

Pull straps on the rear.

Ratchet strap around and through the back wheel (dependent on tie down points, trailer or truck)

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

The side stand, and the frame where it attached to, is designed to hold the static mass of the bike. It is NOT designed to take the live load (mass x acceleration) of the bike bouncing and coming down on that side stand... and the way he has the bike tied down allows it to bounce, almost inviting frame damage.

Yeah, that's fair. I was mostly just pointing out that at least he wasn't towing the bike with the bike leaning on the stand as I've seen CAA do on too many occasions...

Back
Top Bottom