Law Enforcement - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly..... | Page 362 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Law Enforcement - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.....

Who was in the wrong?

• Cop

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • Dude who got shot

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • I like turtles

Votes: 55 49.5%

• Total voters
Odds are that any dashcam used by police would only be active when disco lights were enabled. They wouldn't use a standard commercial cam, on a loop.
But why? What is the justification for not running all the time? Hell, it can make their life a lot easier by catching actions before people get lit up. At the very least I'd hope that cop dashcams are running and capable of storing a few minutes before lights or accelerometer trigger storage.

But why? What is the justification for not running all the time? Hell, it can make their life a lot easier by catching actions before people get lit up. At the very least I'd hope that cop dashcams are running and capable of storing a few minutes before lights or accelerometer trigger storage.
A variety of reasons. Storage limitations for high quality video, not wanting to risk overwriting data, possible card damage from constant recording, officer privacy...

I run a two camera system, with a 256GB Micro SD card, so I can record hours and hours of video, but I occasionally have to replace the card. I record 4K front and 1080P rear. If I didn't like the system so much I might have opted instead for a 4 camera system, when I upgraded cars a while back.

FInally a custodial sentence for a dirtbag. Seven years. Arrested 2.5 years ago. Suspended with pay since then. PSA needs to change. There was more than enough evidence to fire him with cause 2.5 years ago. Paying a criminal a quarter million dollars of taxpayer money is repulsive. There was enough evidence that he failed to do the job he was paid to do and they should have been allowed (and required) to terminate once his transgressions were discovered.

Interesting. Video apparently of cop that was shot. Looks like he was wearing a red basketball jersey. While I'm sure the boys in blue will be doing everything possible to hang the shooter, what are the odds that this was another incident with plain clothes cops assaulting or drawing on bad guys without identifying themselves?

FInally a custodial sentence for a dirtbag. Seven years. Arrested 2.5 years ago. Suspended with pay since then. PSA needs to change. There was more than enough evidence to fire him with cause 2.5 years ago. Paying a criminal a quarter million dollars of taxpayer money is repulsive. There was enough evidence that he failed to do the job he was paid to do and they should have been allowed (and required) to terminate once his transgressions were discovered.

Sadly he stays on the payroll until the police disciplinary process plays out. If that finishes this month, he will have been paid $300,600 while suspended. He also added 31 months to his pensionable service which increased his annual pension payout by $6225.

Sadly he stays on the payroll until the police disciplinary process plays out. If that finishes this month, he will have been paid $300,600 while suspended. He also added 31 months to his pensionable service which increased his annual pension payout by $6225.
With a swipe of the pen, douggie could amend the PSA to cut the fat tomorrow. I have no problem with delaying discipline until after trial if there is insufficient evidence to support it. In the overwhelming majority of cases where cops are charged criminally, there is enough evidence on the day they are charged to terminate with cause. That could increase boots on the street by at least 10% with zero extra budget required.

With a swipe of the pen, douggie could amend the PSA to cut the fat tomorrow. I have no problem with delaying discipline until after trial if there is insufficient evidence to support it. In the overwhelming majority of cases where cops are charged criminally, there is enough evidence on the day they are charged to terminate with cause. That could increase boots on the street by at least 10% with zero extra budget required.
He's already swiped the pen, it came into effect April 1 2024. Chiefs can suspend without pay if an officer is in custody or on bail with conditions that would interfere with their ability to do their job, or if the officer is charged with any serious off-duty offense that could lead to their firing.

Chiefs demanded this power - Douggie gave it to them, so far no chief has had the balls to use it.

He's already swiped the pen, it came into effect April 1 2024. Chiefs can suspend without pay if an officer is in custody or on bail with conditions that would interfere with their ability to do their job, or if the officer is charged with any serious off-duty offense that could lead to their firing.

Chiefs demanded this power - Douggie gave it to them, so far no chief has had the balls to use it.
That is a weak weapon. Only if they are in custody or bail conditions that prevent them from sitting on their ***** at home can they be cut from payroll. It needs to be a far bigger hammer where the chief needs to justify why they should remain on law enforcement payroll when there was sufficient evidence to lay criminal charges. Make the chiefs sign their name to paper justifying the expense to keep them on. There are some situations where it makes sense to keep them on payroll. Especially in cases like assaults where it is he said/she said without further evidence, firing them does not makes sense until a competent third party has decided who to believe.

The chief's have ability to suspend without pay now (2024) BUT going back to 2018 there was a bill put forward to also do this, Doug at the time called it “most anti-police legislation in Canadian history.”

The chief's have ability to suspend without pay now (2024) BUT going back to 2018 there was a bill put forward to also do this, Doug at the time called it “most anti-police legislation in Canadian history.”
He spelled criminals wrong. When police are criminals, it is apparent to everyone not in blue which one of those should have priority in life. As it is, the blue is a very protective blanket and shields from almost all wrongs. It wasn't anti-police legislation, it was anti-criminal legislation. Sadly, that line is so twisty and fuzzy that it is almost impossible to find. It should be as clear as the blue line on their flags.

As odious as it may seem... You can't/shouldn't really suspend people without pay.
Keep in mind for every six o'clock news worthy story about LE alleged wrongdoing there are a dozen allegations that once investigated are vacated.
Yeah, it stinks when a pretty obvious case of misconduct crops up, but... What about all the false allegations?
'You gonna suspend WOP all those folks until you figure it out.?

Or... As in a case I'm privy to, go ahead and suspend without pay. Wait three/four years until the subject officer is completely exonerated and even commended by the judge while the crown is chastised and scolded for wasting the courts time... Then get yourself sued and have to pay a high six figure settlement on top of pretty much giving said officer whatever else he wants.
Oh and YOU get to cover all the cost..?

Of course once found guilty of misconduct. Fire. Terminate. Kick 'em out.

As odious as it may seem... You can't/shouldn't really suspend people without pay.
Keep in mind for every six o'clock news worthy story about LE alleged wrongdoing there are a dozen allegations that once investigated are vacated.
Yeah, it stinks when a pretty obvious case of misconduct crops up, but... What about all the false allegations?
'You gonna suspend WOP all those folks until you figure it out.?

Or... As in a case I'm privy to, go ahead and suspend without pay. Wait three/four years until the subject officer is completely exonerated and even commended by the judge while the crown is chastised and scolded for wasting the courts time... Then get yourself sued and have to pay a high six figure settlement on top of pretty much giving said officer whatever else he wants.
Oh and YOU get to cover all the cost..?

Of course once found guilty of misconduct. Fire. Terminate. Kick 'em out.
I don't need a criminal conviction with jail to be fired from my job and neither should they. I'm not saying fire them all. I'm saying look at the evidence, consider them an employee and make a decision. In some cases, that will follow today's pattern. In the majority of cases, they should be fired very very shortly after their indiscretions are discovered and documented.

I don't need a criminal conviction with jail to be fired from my job and neither should they. I'm not saying fire them all. I'm saying look at the evidence, consider them an employee and make a decision. In some cases, that will follow today's pattern. In the majority of cases, they should be fired very very shortly after their indiscretions are discovered and documented.

I thought there was some nose pinching over the whole suspended with pay thing...(?)
That's what I was addressing.
I think everyone agrees those who are guilty of professional misconduct should be fired.
But... What can you expect when leadership itself is immune from accountability such as in the case of the TPS inspector who ran a cheating scheme to assist certain officers with promotion.
I would hope that in the nearer term that woman's career is OVER. Her opportunities should simply dry up to the point she does the honorable thing and resigns.

If the SIU wasn't dyed blue they could straighten the mess out in 90% of the cases in two weeks. Let the union cover the pay after two weeks. Reimburse the union if the cop is found innocent.

Anyone laying false charges gets it the same punishment the cop would have gotten if found guilty, assuming a lily white SIU.

One of the main issues is they don't address the internal "misconduct" (fired, not fired...) until after the criminal court case so they get a long term paid vacation until the court case and most (that know they are guilty) will delay that for as long as they can via legal wrangling, extending the paid vacation--why not.

No issue with suspended with pay until the internal "HR" misconduct is done, as long as that is as expedient as it would be for most of us in the real world. No waiting for the criminal court case. If they are worried about it influencing the court case, seal the file until after the criminal case. I guess joe public can guess the outcome...if they are living the high-life paid vacation or having a fire sale and working at Ikea.

One of the main issues is they don't address the internal "misconduct" (fired, not fired...) until after the criminal court case so they get a long term paid vacation until the court case and most (that know they are guilty) will delay that for as long as they can via legal wrangling, extending the paid vacation--why not.

No issue with suspended with pay until the internal "HR" misconduct is done, as long as that is as expedient as it would be for most of us in the real world. No waiting for the criminal court case. If they are worried about it influencing the court case, seal the file until after the criminal case. I guess joe public can guess the outcome...if they are living the high-life paid vacation or having a fire sale and working at Ikea.
Sure, they don't need to wait until after a finding in court, however, if they do it pretty much makes The Force/City judgment proof. Not a lot of courts are going to rule in favour of someone who has been found guilty 'beyond a reasonable doubt', in a civil suit that only requires 'preponderance of the evidence.'

So a few hundred thou might save them millions.

I'm surprised. I expected a conviction and some sort of sentence.. a little jail time.. but not 7 years.
I'm glad they're starting to punish cops for their wrongdoing.. but honestly.. 7 years seems a little harsh to me.
They're probably working on an appeal.

Sure, they don't need to wait until after a finding in court, however, if they do it pretty much makes The Force/City judgment proof. Not a lot of courts are going to rule in favour of someone who has been found guilty 'beyond a reasonable doubt', in a civil suit that only requires 'preponderance of the evidence.'

So a few hundred thou might save them millions.
A few hundred thousand times hundreds of officers in Ontario. Even if you just canned the ones that blew miles past "preponderance of evidence" that would save a fortune. If a case is close, leaving them on may make sense.

I'm surprised. I expected a conviction and some sort of sentence.. a little jail time.. but not 7 years.
I'm glad they're starting to punish cops for their wrongdoing.. but honestly.. 7 years seems a little harsh to me.
They're probably working on an appeal.
Given that there were 15 charges involving 5 incidents, and he seems to have been found guilty on all of them, 7 years is actually a bit light in my opinion. While the sentences would typically be served concurrently, as Canadian courts rarely apply consecutive sentences, each crime does increase the severity. The charges of breach of trust by an official would effectively act as an enhancement to the other charges. I think that the maximum penalty would be 10 years for each of the thefts that he committed.

A few hundred thousand times hundreds of officers in Ontario. Even if you just canned the ones that blew miles past "preponderance of evidence" that would save a fortune. If a case is close, leaving them on may make sense.
It's always a numbers game and the cost for settling or losing in court is only a part of the total. Someone, somewhere, has surely done the math.

Back
Top Bottom