Is there going to be a snail mail strike? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is there going to be a snail mail strike?

She is an RSMC which is a 'relief' position. In the past 2 years of her employment she has worked everyday except for about 3 - 4 weeks in total that she has had off. Although I can offer many examples she has asked me not to list them on a public forum as it may jeopardize her employment. I will offer one example and I assure you the others are just as bad, if not worse.

During the Christmas rush all employees at her station were told that they could come in on weekends to get ahead of the volume of mail. They would not be paid for their time. Did CP not collect revenue from the parcels and letters during this time? Would any other employer ask their people to work without any compensation? You have to admit this is not a balanced equation.

then u say no, i have very little sympathy for people whose skillset is so weak that they fear getting fired from CANADA POST lol, tell your "friend" to grow a backbone and stand up for herself.

then u say no, i have very little sympathy for people whose skillset is so weak that they fear getting fired from CANADA POST lol, tell your "friend" to grow a backbone and stand up for herself.

No one showed up for that BS, it's just the audacity of it all.

BTW, my "friend" has plenty of backbone and a phenominally strong skill set too. Did you know that CP has letter carriers with Harvard educations? The reasons why some people do the job they do is for themselves to deal with. For you to call out an entire profession as 'weak' is totally lame on your part. Grow up dude. Looking down your nose at someone for what they do is weak of character.

I wish the StatCan people had their level of backbone.. Over there, the supervisory temp staff is required to work up to 70 hours a week during the initial stages of the census and are only paid for 37.5.

She is an RSMC which is a 'relief' position. In the past 2 years of her employment she has worked everyday except for about 3 - 4 weeks in total that she has had off. Although I can offer many examples she has asked me not to list them on a public forum as it may jeopardize her employment. I will offer one example and I assure you the others are just as bad, if not worse.

During the Christmas rush all employees at her station were told that they could come in on weekends to get ahead of the volume of mail. They would not be paid for their time. Did CP not collect revenue from the parcels and letters during this time? Would any other employer ask their people to work without any compensation? You have to admit this is not a balanced equation.

I take it you have never worked a salary job? Asking for employees to work extra hours for no pay is fairly common. Hell, even at my last hourly job they would expect us to stay 30-60 minutes each day to do a complete work turnover to the next shift, unpaid.

When you say works every day do you mean weekdays? If so, again thats pretty normal to have 2 weeks of vacation per year. A lot of places will not let you take your vacation days (or make it so difficult that you dont even bother) and instead opt to pay them out. Technically illegal but happens everywhere.

I looked up RSMC wages and i cant find anything regarding pay except a lot of RSMC's complaining that its "effectively less than minimum wage". So whats the hourly? It HAS to be at least minimum wage. "Effectively" doesnt mean **** if youre counting travel time to and from your route or things like that. No hourly worker gets paid travel time to and from work. Or if youre factoring in gas costs or something like that... Well, sucks, but welcome to a job that expects you to provide your own transport.

I also just looked up the reimbursement for mileage... the only thing i can find is from 2005 and its 45 cents a kilometer for the first 5000, 39 cents for every kilometer after that... Thats a really good mileage reimbursement plan. Plus it looks like they pay a portion of vehicle costs? Not sure, but thats how this union site reads...

I dunno, hardly qualifies as "slave labor" to me...

I take it you have never worked a salary job? Asking for employees to work extra hours for no pay is fairly common. Hell, even at my last hourly job they would expect us to stay 30-60 minutes each day to do a complete work turnover to the next shift, unpaid.

When you say works every day do you mean weekdays? If so, again thats pretty normal to have 2 weeks of vacation per year. A lot of places will not let you take your vacation days (or make it so difficult that you dont even bother) and instead opt to pay them out. Technically illegal but happens everywhere.

I looked up RSMC wages and i cant find anything regarding pay except a lot of RSMC's complaining that its "effectively less than minimum wage". So whats the hourly? It HAS to be at least minimum wage. "Effectively" doesnt mean **** if youre counting travel time to and from your route or things like that. No hourly worker gets paid travel time to and from work. Or if youre factoring in gas costs or something like that... Well, sucks, but welcome to a job that expects you to provide your own transport.

I also just looked up the reimbursement for mileage... the only thing i can find is from 2005 and its 45 cents a kilometer for the first 5000, 39 cents for every kilometer after that... Thats a really good mileage reimbursement plan. Plus it looks like they pay a portion of vehicle costs? Not sure, but thats how this union site reads...

I understand if you're salary, but if you're hrly, why would you work for free. I am a sub contractor, and would never work for free.

Isn't it sad that working for free became the norm? And people say we don't need unions any more :rolleyes: Sometimes you union-bashers are like crabs.. You're reaching up from below and pulling down those that somehow manage to remain at the same level as before we exported so many jobs to Asia.

You can always get paid for those unpaid hours through the labour board. Just keep track of your OT hours. Usually people do this when leaving a company for obvious reasons.

You can always get paid for those unpaid hours through the labour board. Just keep track of your OT hours. Usually people do this when leaving a company for obvious reasons.

So you have to jump through administrative hoops and put your career at risk so you can get paid for the work that you did?

I understand if you're salary, but if you're hrly, why would you work for free. I am a sub contractor, and would never work for free.

Well you didnt have to stay... but put it this way... if your job went out ****ed up because you didnt stick around to let the next shift know the issues with it, you can guess who that falls on. So it was more a CYA kinda thing. I rarely stayed because i was good about getting people from the next shift ready to work as soon as they got in. But other people werent great at that, and ended up having to stick around a lot.

I can understand as a sub contractor not caring about the company youre working for, because theres always more places to hire you. But as an employee of a company i kind of feel like its my responsibility to ensure that the company is successful and profitable, as it being so directly affects their ability to employ me. Im not talking about giving up an entire shifts worth of pay, because thats unreasonable and no hourly company should ask you to do that, but an extra 15 or 30 minutes here and there is not unheard of, especially if it means getting a project out on time and having a happy client, versus having a really ****** off client with a late, trash product.

So your employers shortcomings are covered up by you pulling in extra hours for free? Thats no way to teach anyone anything...

You know that saying give them an inch and they'll take a mile?

Our boss tried that...he kept giving us tighter and tighter deadlines on workorders knowing that we would try our damnest to finish them on time...so where he expected a job to be done in 4 days beginning of year he now wanted 3 days cuz of a rush job....well that 3 days became the norm and a 2 day job became the "rush"...ya screw that noise.

you know what hes thinking in his head? "this shmuck will work extra hours and i dont have to pay him? Swweeeeeet!!"

another example: My girlfriend works for corporate office of a large but will remain unnamed food store chain.

She started working there over 3 years ago and has always put in 45 to 50 hours a week...Being salary her pay always stayed the same and she "assumed" it was a 40 hour work week. So after me asking her for years to confirm what shes actually making and her hours she inquired and was astonished to find out that she technically only had a 35 hr work week. You think her manager said a word to her? You think her manager came up to her and said "Hey, u know u dont have to leave at 5, u can leave at 4?" Nope! and now that she stood up for herself and shes doing 40 hours (Not even 35, still putting in extra) her boss is being a total **** saying my g/f is and i quote "not a team player", "giving me attitude". The cherry on the cake? G/f wants to keep taking half hour lunches and leave at 3:30. Response: "NO! you spend a lot of time on the phone which all adds up to you having an hour lunch"

If that was me id have snapped and said something along the lines of "Well, i think i time banked enought THOUSANDS of hours that i can open my own damn telemarketing business and not come close to spending that much time on the phone!"

I think i proved my point.

I dont work for free....My time is valuable and due to someone elses shortfalls, mismanagement or too short of time tables i dont get to bend over backwards.

sure if the boss appreciated it and showed it in different ways, absolutely....but for middle management who only wanna see results so they can turn around and get patted on the back for your hard work, u gonna pay!

"oh you told the client this machine will be ready by end of the day? Even though we told you we have serious issues that will take 2 days to sort? Oh u really need the machine today? Okay we'll stay but u're paying!!"
So next time he'll listen, and he wont try to BS the client and try to make himself look better

Well you didnt have to stay... but put it this way... if your job went out ****ed up because you didnt stick around to let the next shift know the issues with it, you can guess who that falls on. So it was more a CYA kinda thing. I rarely stayed because i was good about getting people from the next shift ready to work as soon as they got in. But other people werent great at that, and ended up having to stick around a lot.

I can understand as a sub contractor not caring about the company youre working for, because theres always more places to hire you. But as an employee of a company i kind of feel like its my responsibility to ensure that the company is successful and profitable, as it being so directly affects their ability to employ me. Im not talking about giving up an entire shifts worth of pay, because thats unreasonable and no hourly company should ask you to do that, but an extra 15 or 30 minutes here and there is not unheard of, especially if it means getting a project out on time and having a happy client, versus having a really ****** off client with a late, trash product.

Last edited:
Red_Liner: You don't realize the realities of working in North America. We are hard working people. We work for free just to prove how hardworking we are and how rich we can make the shareholders. Only lazy unionized scum expect to be paid for all of the hours they put in. That's not how things work here. We should eliminate the unions so we can all work for free. Now shut up with that fairness crap :cool:

So when is the strike going to happen? Thurs morn or night?

Oh and yesterday I had a seller on ebay reimburse me my money cause of the strike.... does that even make sense his note was a strike was going to happen and I would not get my parcel. Doesn't a strike mean I'll just get it later??? I wouldn't disappear or anything right???

Last edited:
So your employers shortcomings are covered up by you pulling in extra hours for free? Thats no way to teach anyone anything...

You know that saying give them an inch and they'll take a mile?

Our boss tried that...he kept giving us tighter and tighter deadlines on workorders knowing that we would try our damnest to finish them on time...so where he expected a job to be done in 4 days beginning of year he now wanted 3 days cuz of a rush job....well that 3 days became the norm and a 2 day job became the "rush"...ya screw that noise.

you know what hes thinking in his head? "this shmuck will work extra hours and i dont have to pay him? Swweeeeeet!!"

another example: My girlfriend works for corporate office of a large but will remain unnamed food store chain.

She started working there over 3 years ago and has always put in 45 to 50 hours a week...Being salary her pay always stayed the same and she "assumed" it was a 40 hour work week. So after me asking her for years to confirm what shes actually making and her hours she inquired and was astonished to find out that she technically only had a 35 hr work week. You think her manager said a word to her? You think her manager came up to her and said "Hey, u know u dont have to leave at 5, u can leave at 4?" Nope! and now that she stood up for herself and shes doing 40 hours (Not even 35, still putting in extra) her boss is being a total **** saying my g/f is and i quote "not a team player", "giving me attitude". The cherry on the cake? G/f wants to keep taking half hour lunches and leave at 3:30. Response: "NO! you spend a lot of time on the phone which all adds up to you having an hour lunch"

If that was me id have snapped and said something along the lines of "Well, i think i time banked enought THOUSANDS of hours that i can open my own damn telemarketing business and not come close to spending that much time on the phone!"

I think i proved my point.

I dont work for free....My time is valuable and due to someone elses shortfalls, mismanagement or too short of time tables i dont get to bend over backwards.

sure if the boss appreciated it and showed it in different ways, absolutely....but for middle management who only wanna see results so they can turn around and get patted on the back for your hard work, u gonna pay!

"oh you told the client this machine will be ready by end of the day? Even though we told you we have serious issues that will take 2 days to sort? Oh u really need the machine today? Okay we'll stay but u're paying!!"
So next time he'll listen, and he wont try to BS the client and try to make himself look better

Have your girlfriend call the Labour Relations Board, to find out the truth about "no overtime for salaried employees." I had to educate a former employer about it, when they said that not only was I salaried but also a 'manager', so I wasn't entitled to overtime. Of course this occurred after I, and the entire staff of the branch had been 'downsized.'

bobjohnson your remarks are distorted on so many levels I don't know where to begin. Read FiReSTaRT's replies as he seems to be able to explain my point. Asking any employee to work 48 hours without any compensation while the company is generating revenue is in effect slave labour.

RSMC'S make comments like 'it's less than minimum wage' because it is. Why do you need the math done for you. I will do it any way. Average weekly hours (no travel time included) 50 - 55. Average weekly pay $400.00, this includes all vehicle reimbursements. Do the math, it's less than minimum wage plus you have out of pocket expenses.

Why stick around then? well when they hire you they give you a load of bull about 'when you are full time' it is a really great place to work, and it is. In the meantime, bend over and take one for the team.

I work a salary job and I give more hours than I get paid for. My employer rewards those extra efforts. It's called compensation. Quid pro quo. If you help your company stay in business to earn that profit you were talking about, then you deserve to be compensated for it. You ranted about the misdeeds of our government but it sounds like you are a sheep to your employer.

Last edited:
bobjohnson your remarks are distorted on so many levels I don't know where to begin. Read FiReSTaRT's replies as he seems to be able to explain my point. Asking any employee to work 48 hours without any compensation while the company is generating revenue is in effect slave labour.

RSMC'S make comments like 'it's less than minimum wage' because it is. Why do you need the math done for you. I will do it any way. Average weekly hours (no travel time included) 50 - 55. Average weekly pay $400.00, this includes all vehicle reimbursements. Do the math, it's less than minimum wage plus you have out of pocket expenses.

Why stick around then? well when they hire you they give you a load of bull about 'when you are full time' it is a really great place to work, and it is. In the meantime, bend over and take one for the team.

I work a salary job and I give more hours than I get paid for. My employer rewards those extra efforts. It's called compensation. Quid pro quo. If you help your company stay in business to earn that profit you were talking about, then you deserve to be compensated for it. You ranted about the misdeeds of our government but it sounds like you are a sheep to your employer.

Nah, im not. My employer treats me really well. Former employers, maybe not as well, but the key difference is I always knew i was free to leave. The problem is, everyone always thinks their job is horrible and there are so many better jobs out there. The reality check is that no, its pretty much the same everywhere. Good companies that treat you like a human being and respect the fact that extra time and effort is just that, extra, are rare. I used to laugh when new grads would come to my old office, and after a few weeks start complaining "Man, they treat us like ****, everything is so awful, im gonna find a new job". Then a few months later you hear from them again and theyre like "Yeah, my new job is pretty much the same as the old one except the benefits suck now".

Also remember that if your employer truly is breaking labor law, you are free at any time to call the labor board and file a complaint. Someone at my old job did that because they were making us work through our paid lunches. You know what happened after that? They switched it to mandatory UNPAID lunches and an 8.5 hour shift instead of paid lunches on an 8 hour shift (which is totally legal to make you work through, and this is discounting your hour of guaranteed paid breaks which they ALWAYS let us take). They also put a stop to unlimited overtime (you could do 112 hours in a week if you really wanted to, doubletime for everything past 45) and capped us at 60 hours per week. So which way is truly better? Yeah, the one lady was happy with the result... the other 299 of us? not so much, because it meant longer hours and less pay.

Im no slave to my employer. I make sure they pay me fairly and that I get the things I am entitled to. If my boss was being a dick about it and said "You have to stay for free or youre fired", id stay, and then go home and start sending out resumes. But once in a while? Its normal and not outlandish. It also depends on the boss and the company. Is my boss putting in extra unpaid hours right beside me to help get **** done, or does he say "Everyone stays an hour late" and then peel out in his porsche? That wouldnt inspire me to put in extra effort at that company. The other way to look at it is, what are you goals with that company? My goal whenever i start somewhere is to be the boss one day, and in every case ive achieved that goal. Look around your office. Can you achieve that goal by NOT putting in extra hours and effort? If you can, then great. But I think you'll notice the guys who've been doing the same job for 25 years generally arent the boss. Its the guys who spent 2 or 3 years busting their *** and putting in extra effort and time who get the promotions. Again, if you really have a problem with it, its technically illegal for hourly employees to work unpaid time and youre more than welcome to file a grievance with the labor board.

And im not sure where that **** about unions came from, i didnt mention unions once, and the RSMC's HAVE a union. If its really as awful as katrider says, a fat lot of good its doing them.

Asking any employee to work 48 hours without any compensation while the company is generating revenue is in effect slave labour.

ASKING an employee to work without compensation is not slave labour. TELLING them they're working whether they like it or not is a bit closer. Extra bonus slave points if it's done under threat of the lash.

Anyway, back to the original topic. There are several distinct parts of CP. Some are going on strike, some aren't. Are the people that drive around in the little clown trucks dropping off parcels in people's doors still working? I have bicycle parts coming in from all over Europe and the US for various projects on the go, and would like to know if they'll be delivered.

Anyway, back to the original topic. There are several distinct parts of CP. Some are going on strike, some aren't. Are the people that drive around in the little clown trucks dropping off parcels in people's doors still working? I have bicycle parts coming in from all over Europe and the US for various projects on the go, and would like to know if they'll be delivered.

it's the largest union going on strike so effectively the company is at a standstill.

ASKING an employee to work without compensation is not slave labour. TELLING them they're working whether they like it or not is a bit closer. Extra bonus slave points if it's done under threat of the lash.

You don't give us your time and effort for nothing, you lose your way to make a living :cool:

Back
Top Bottom