Is there going to be a snail mail strike? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is there going to be a snail mail strike?

re: purolator, read post #15. . .

also, canada post is still profitable, in large part to a continuous cost cutting plan that they already run on. . .

I'm aware Cpost owns purolator. They are two seperate companies however and both run entirely different.

I'm aware Cpost owns purolator. They are two seperate companies however and both run entirely different.

entirely different, except for the air freight capacity they share, and that the profits of purolator go to canada post. other than that, entirely different.

so care to share with us when your predicted folding of canada post will occur, considering that they are profitable and have been for many years, and already perform systematic cost cutting (which you apparently believe needs to start happening, lol)?

I ordered another thing online, but it's from a CDN retailer, and via UPS, so I will be relatively unaffected by the strike, yet again :cool:

My wife is a postie on the 2nd tier of their 'agreement'. What CP asks their employees to do would be considered slave labour in any other place of business. I won't bore you with the details unless you ask me but I can tell you that the way they treat their employees is certainly unjust. Finding a decent paying job in this province is a nightmare too or she would be out of there in a heartbeat?

My wife is a postie on the 2nd tier of their 'agreement'. What CP asks their employees to do would be considered slave labour in any other place of business. I won't bore you with the details unless you ask me but I can tell you that the way they treat their employees is certainly unjust. Finding a decent paying job in this province is a nightmare too or she would be out of there in a heartbeat?

2nd tier? What are you talking about? Do you mean that she is a temporary worker?

Slave labour? Which post office are you talking about again? I happen to know first hand that Canada Post employees have it easy -- how? because I work there (but not in the union that wants to strike).

entirely different, except for the air freight capacity they share, and that the profits of purolator go to canada post. other than that, entirely different.

so care to share with us when your predicted folding of canada post will occur, considering that they are profitable and have been for many years, and already perform systematic cost cutting (which you apparently believe needs to start happening, lol)?

Companies share freight space all the time, and we've already determined CPost owns Purolator. Neither one of your points has disproved my statement. Even through they are sister companies they are NOT the same company. Different business model, different procedures and different management.

Is Cpost profitable because they are delivering mail/parcels or because they are delivering advertising? Does it matter? What happens if someone comes in and undercuts Cpost on the delivery rate?

More and more companies are going paperless. Courier services are used to deliver important goods and are doing so at prices equal to or less than Cpost services. Sure they are cost-cutting but at some point they can't cut anymore.

So if Cpost is losing in the parcel category, and more people are going paperless, where do you expect them to make $$? If it's on Purolator's back, then we are in agreement.

Major Couriers are increasing their market share on CPost's back. Cpost does service areas that the major players won't, simply because they MUST not because it makes $$.

Already the major couriers are cheaper for parcel shipping, they offer signature services and are trusted with sensitive documents all the time. (IIRC it's purolator who handles passports now)

I cannot see the day when snail mail is gone, but I can see the day when Cpost will fold unless they find a way to cut costs.

Companies share freight space all the time, and we've already determined CPost owns Purolator. Neither one of your points has disproved my statement. Even through they are sister companies they are NOT the same company. Different business model, different procedures and different management.

Is Cpost profitable because they are delivering mail/parcels or because they are delivering advertising? Does it matter? What happens if someone comes in and undercuts Cpost on the delivery rate?

More and more companies are going paperless. Courier services are used to deliver important goods and are doing so at prices equal to or less than Cpost services. Sure they are cost-cutting but at some point they can't cut anymore.

So if Cpost is losing in the parcel category, and more people are going paperless, where do you expect them to make $$? If it's on Purolator's back, then we are in agreement.

you suggest couriers are increasing their market share on canada post's back, then cite the use of purolator for passports as an example. bad example, since you know that purolator is owned by canada post, and that they are part of the same "back". . .interesting, for someone that clearly knows they are the sister companies, and that canada post gains from all of the profit that purolator generates.

canada post bought into purolator 18 years ago. they clearly knew the direction that the industry was going, and the advent of electronic communications would have on traditional mail service. further cost cutting from downsizing plants and delivery structures will happen. they will rely more and more on their non-traditional mail service as a profitable revenue source--something they realized almost two decades ago. services will get more expensive on the non-courier side, but this is part of the evolution of a service sector, not a sign that they are unprofitable or ineffective.

what they are doing has been profitable for some time, and their model must be doing something right as there would be a lineup of potential suitors if the feds were ever silly enough to privatize it. lol, even the capitalist icon of the free world, the u.s., maintains a public postal service because they know it makes sense.

stupid neo-cons are the reason why the 407 is in foreign hands for our lifetimes, bleeding our money into euro pockets

canada post doesn't need you to tell them to diversify and cost cut. they've been doing it for years. . .

Last edited:

It has to be asked "What a reasonable lifestyle expectation is for any trade or job group?"

That includes bus drivers, posties, clerks etc.

I 100% fully understand the need for cost of living raises but what are realistic expectations for a person with a grade 10 or 12 education or even a person with a Phd working at a job requiring a grade 10 education.

I hear of ECE workers being paid close to the minimum wage while other people get paid double that to push a broom (slowly).

I'm not sure what is considered slave labour but I'm sure some immigrants could answer that question.

Id be curious to hear what you consider slave labor... Especially considering canada post pays pretty well, as you admit.

Id be curious to hear what you consider slave labor... Especially considering canada post pays pretty well, as you admit.

Quite well, in fact, for what is frequently unskilled labour. Pay is commensurate with level of knowledge involved and level of activity required.

I thought slave labour was really hard work?

Because last time I checked, my postie roommate earns almost more than I do (with a barely Grade 12 education), works 3 to 4 hours a day and gets paid for 8, and files a "grievance" every other week.

I'd take her "slave labour" any day of the week!

2nd tier? What are you talking about? Do you mean that she is a temporary worker?

Slave labour? Which post office are you talking about again? I happen to know first hand that Canada Post employees have it easy -- how? because I work there (but not in the union that wants to strike).

She is an RSMC which is a 'relief' position. In the past 2 years of her employment she has worked everyday except for about 3 - 4 weeks in total that she has had off. Although I can offer many examples she has asked me not to list them on a public forum as it may jeopardize her employment. I will offer one example and I assure you the others are just as bad, if not worse.

During the Christmas rush all employees at her station were told that they could come in on weekends to get ahead of the volume of mail. They would not be paid for their time. Did CP not collect revenue from the parcels and letters during this time? Would any other employer ask their people to work without any compensation? You have to admit this is not a balanced equation.

Last edited:

I didn't admit that they pay well, you read that in to what I said. When worked out an RSMC makes less than the minimum wage. CP waves the carrot in front of their RSMC's that once on 'full time' things get better. They just never tell you if you will ever be a full time employee. I will admit, the carrot is ok so we hold hope.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom