Explosion at US-Canada border | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Explosion at US-Canada border

Lots of speculation and misinformation going around, mostly for "breaking news" credits and clicks.

P.s. Edited thread title to not be the one speculating.
I was trying to follow it last night but the constant repetitious of "Fluid situation" followed by speculation was annoying. The media gets paid for words not content.

The guesses I heard were 100mph+. With the huge impact and fire, we may never know why. Impairment, black box, mental state data has all been altered or lost.
We'll never know. They were on their way to a KISS concert in Toronto (apparently) that was cancelled anyway due to a member having the flu.

Horrible all around. I'm just glad that nobody died outside of the car.

Well at least the kids don’t have to sell a used Bentley to settle the estate….

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Morbid curiosity but any names or motives?
husband and wife. Members of niagara sailing club on grand island. Lived in upstate New York. Owner of gui's lumber/ace hardware.

Hopefully @crankcall didn't know him. They have a lot in common.

Motive i doubt will ever be known. So much destruction. My guess would be medical but I don't know if there is enough left to determine anything.

"They are identified as Kurt P. Villani, 53, and his wife, Monica Villani, 53, both of Grand Island New York."

• Friends say they'd been having problems with the gas pedal in prior weeks

Now that makes sense....

Blame it on Audi. Yeah, that's the ticket.

36A491BF00000578-0-image-a-7_1469643794057.jpg

Even cars at this power level the brakes have more stopping power than the engine has go power, assuming the brakes are in good working order... But you may get a huge burnout... Of course the brakes could be overheated, fade, etc. but not likely enough in a one off like this.

One of the causes for unintended acceleration is pedals shifted to the left (to clear a larger centre transmission tunnel or console) causing user error/confusion when switching between cars. People push the gas pedal thinking it is the brake. When the car speeds up they push the "brake" harder (well what they think is the brake).

I have never done exactly this but I have hit the fat brake pedal driving an unfamiliar automatic rental car, thinking it was the clutch....

I have never done exactly this but I have hit the fat brake pedal driving an unfamiliar automatic rental car, thinking it was the clutch....
Oof. A quick stop in an auto rental car after driving a standard daily is often rough. Subconsciously push the clutch to the floor and catch the left edge of the fat brake pedal. You stop quick but it sure as hell isn't smooth.

I have no idea what safety systems are installed on the Bentley. It seems newish, I would expect it to have automatic emergency braking. Maybe it did but that failed to work as barrier was almost parallel to direction of travel.

Back
Top Bottom