Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 480 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

Takes less energy to dry the desiccant than dry the dishes.
I wouldn't believe that without a quality third party study. I wouldn't be surprised if dessicant is faster, may produce dryer dishes and maybe even peak power is down as it can dry dessicant over a long period but is a very very rare process where adding more steps improves energy efficiency substantially.

I wouldn't believe that without a quality third party study. I wouldn't be surprised if dessicant is faster, may produce dryer dishes and maybe even peak power is down as it can dry dessicant over a long period but is a very very rare process where adding more steps improves energy efficiency substantially.

We use something similar to the stuff in the dishwashers in labs and there’s a trick where you can take a piece of the zeolite (called molecular sieves) about the size of a tiny ball bearing and drip water into it on someone’s hand. It gets too hot to hold. The amount of heat put out is pretty incredible.

To regenerate it though we usually put it in a microwave.

We use something similar to the stuff in the dishwashers in labs and there’s a trick where you can take a piece of the zeolite (called molecular sieves) about the size of a tiny ball bearing and drip water into it on someone’s hand. It gets too hot to hold. The amount of heat put out is pretty incredible.

To regenerate it though we usually put it in a microwave.
Exactly. Energy to reset needs to exceed heat released plus heat to evaporate water. Otherwise you'd have energy creation. A perpetual motion dishwasher that powers your house by washing dishes would be pretty kickass.

Alright brain trust….need some guidance here.

Have a wall in the shed that will hold an 11ft shelf to keep dad’s aluminum brake / bender (as I don’t think I’ll sell it). Underneath will be a dead space or shelving.

However it seems like a good spot for hanging bicycle storage.

Space will be about 6-7’ high, and about 8ft long (tire storage at the end of it).

Any recommendations on what to fabricate / build / buy to store 3 adult bikes, 1 teen bike, and 2 small children bikes?

Alright brain trust….need some guidance here.

Have a wall in the shed that will hold an 11ft shelf to keep dad’s aluminum brake / bender (as I don’t think I’ll sell it). Underneath will be a dead space or shelving.

However it seems like a good spot for hanging bicycle storage.

Space will be about 6-7’ high, and about 8ft long (tire storage at the end of it).

Any recommendations on what to fabricate / build / buy to store 3 adult bikes, 1 teen bike, and 2 small children bikes?
Hooks on bottom of shelf for adult bikes. For kid bikes, either hooks on wall or leave them on the floor.

Question- Is there any way to test a conventional water heater without hooking it up completely? Or things I can inspect to give me a reasonable idea if it's worth messing with? I picked one up from a customer a few years ago that looks relatively new. He claimed it worked, only took it out due to space reasons when he went with an on demand system. Would like to get it out of my garage but don't really want to drag it downstairs, go through all the hook up process if it's a dud.
Typical test would be insulation resistance at 500 VDC and element resistance.

FWIW I just ran a test on a spare oven element and it was about 20 ohms element resistance. That's in the ballpark of what it should be.

The insulation resistance (Megger reading) was 19 megohms at 500 volts. I typically get higher numbers for heating cables but appliance heating elements have high temperature seals and the trade off may be the lower readings. I wouldn't have a problem connecting 19 megohms to a 600 volt source as that is a typical manufacture repair standard.

What? I have never seen a 120v electric resistance water heater. Power vent gas are all 120v. Most heat pump hw are 240 but there are a few that are 120.

Conceivably you could have a 240v plug (two horizontal pins) but I thought most water heaters drew more than 12A.
We had a 5 gallon HW tank on the boat, 120 volts. It kept us in clean dishes.

I can’t recall if our Bosch is a 300 or 500 but it’s been fine over the 3.5yrs we’ve had it. Really does clean very well. That said, our Frigidaire Professional fridge and range have been excellent as well.

Spent 3hrs up in the attic putting in pot lights in the living room last night. The lights are all wired together but still don't have a light switch or feed yet.

This is the room lit up with 2 flashlights at 10pm to take the picture. I don't know how people lived in this house for 70years without a ceiling light...
1000006931.jpg

Spent 3hrs up in the attic putting in pot lights in the living room last night. The lights are all wired together but still don't have a light switch or feed yet.

This is the room lit up with 2 flashlights at 10pm to take the picture. I don't know how people lived in this house for 70years without a ceiling light...
View attachment 68009
On the upside, they didn't have to deal with the pain of one pot light being out at almost all times. The leds are better but I still have to replace them about every five years.

On the upside, they didn't have to deal with the pain of one pot light being out at almost all times. The leds are better but I still have to replace them about every five years.
These are the lights I went with. Pretty happen with them install wise. I wanted some that were insulation contact rated, air sealed, and color temp selectable, and these fit the bill. Hopefully they last

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sp...trim-slim-recessed-fixture-6-pack-/1001607545

These are the lights I went with. Pretty happen with them install wise. I wanted some that were insulation contact rated, air sealed, and color temp selectable, and these fit the bill. Hopefully they last

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sp...trim-slim-recessed-fixture-6-pack-/1001607545

I've been getting good pricing, quality and advice from a local distributor.

On the XXXXX hour expectation I was told this was an average. One will last 2X XXXXX and the next one just X.

I need help in sourcing some aluminum decking.

1717164423228.png

My parent are looking to redo the decking of the 2nd floor balcony which has a patio underneath.
The decking NEEDS TO BE waterproof, meaning water CANNOT seep through the joints.

We found a source is the U.S. (LockDry® Aluminum Waterproof Decking from Nexan)
They do not have any distribution in Canada but they can arrange for shipping to this side of the border.
To avoid the exchange rate and additional shipping we are trying to source something local.

I found a place in Concord ON ( Aluminum Decks ) but numerous attempts of trying to reach them are getting us nowhere. I have yet to visit their "showroom" but will possibly attempt it. It doesn't look promising from google searches. Some "hinges Canada" business might be operating out of the same location/phone number.
As much as I would like to support local and make it easier for us I am doubtful with this local company.

Anyone have any experience with such products???
Thank you in advance.

View attachment 68015

My parent are looking to redo the decking of the 2nd floor balcony which has a patio underneath.
The decking NEEDS TO BE waterproof, meaning water CANNOT seep through the joints.

They do not have any distribution in Canada but they can arrange for shipping to this side of the border.
To avoid the exchange rate and additional shipping we are trying to source something local.

I found a place in Concord ON ( Aluminum Decks ) but numerous attempts of trying to reach them are getting us nowhere. I have yet to visit their "showroom" but will possibly attempt it. It doesn't look promising from google searches. Some "hinges Canada" business might be operating out of the same location/phone number.
As much as I would like to support local and make it easier for us I am doubtful with this local company.

Thank you in advance.
When I needed to do that in the past I used steel roof on the bottom of the floor joists. A 2" furling strip at the outside edge to slope it. Then deck material can be anything.

View attachment 68015

Thank you in advance.
I'm with @GreyGhost on this one. Remove current decking, put something underneath to channel the water wherever you want it, and then build the deck of whatever it is you want.

I think that opens up a LOT more options.

I'm with @GreyGhost on this one. Remove current decking, put something underneath to channel the water wherever you want it, and then build the deck of whatever it is you want.

I think that opens up a LOT more options.
Another solution is a rubber sheet below the decking and allowed to droop in joist space. This puts the waterproof membrane above the bottom of the joists (except for the discharge) and allows any ceiling finish.

View attachment 68015

Thank you in advance.
Not the question you are asking (I don't have an answer for aluminum decks) but if it was me and the stuff was hard to get or expensive...

-If there is a waterproof deck there already, can it be refinished/painted/repaired or overlaid?
-If not (they want to make it waterproof, just a deck now) I would likely go a more conventional route with slightly sloped plywood and then a water proof membrane and decking like is commonly done for balconies/rooftop patios over living space.
-Or the underneath approach GG noted if the decking on top is still in good shape. I do prefer option 2 as it does not create any possible space for animals...

Go look at the Trex website , complete system available, in Canada . Pull off your decking and install the gutter system, install decking of your choice. It’s designed for DIY , idiot proof and they have already figured out all potential problems . aluminum decking is stupidly expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Back
Top Bottom