Emotional and mental health aspects of aging | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Emotional and mental health aspects of aging

Our motorcycle school went from teaching theory in person (at the local motorcycle shop, which was tres cool), to doing theory over Zoom.

Yeah, easier on everyone's travel and after-work schedules, but what a horrendous step backwards that was in terms of engagement. I much prefer the face-to-face rapport as well as the inter-student interaction and excitement they shared sitting beside someone who they were going to be learning to ride motorcycles with on the weekend.
Engagement is difficult over Zoom.

In a classroom, I could keep 30 students engaged. Over Zoom 10 was a challenge.

Few instructors can instantly switch to VILT (Virtual Instructor led training), during the pandemic only 2 of the dozens of instructors we had were able to handle classes of 10 solo -- all the others needed a helper.

Engagement is difficult over Zoom.

In a classroom, I could keep 30 students engaged. Over Zoom 10 was a challenge.

Few instructors can instantly switch to VILT (Virtual Instructor led training), during the pandemic only 2 of the dozens of instructors we had were able to handle classes of 10 solo -- all the others needed a helper.

We had one girl online, her hair looked kinda weird, like it was sticking out all over the place, due to lots of hairspray or something. Okay, fashion choice is your decision...

Then she slowly starts falling asleep during the Zoom session, and I realized she was lying down with the smartphone camera mounted above her head!

omfg.

I have a few observations like that. People forget they are on camera, ever notice how often people pick their noses and teeth in a Zoom classes?

Hobbies and interests are really important in my mind . I shoot clay pidgeons every Wed am and have a collection of friends there to talk to . I race sailboats twice a week in the evening and it’s a totally different collection of friends . When winter hits I do a zoom cycling group two eves and Sat am , it’s a hour to cycle , get fit and chat on a zoom group . I’m between that , I go to work .
I thinks it’s important if you’ve alway been social , to stay social. Cocooning in my mind isn’t healthy , mentally or physically.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
I wish I had saved my old cell phones. I would have paid to watch you blast them out of the air.

My best friends are an ocean away. However, when we get together it’s like everything was yesterday whether’s it’s been a few years or a few months.

Aside from that I really don’t mind my own company in my downtime. I can watch/eat/drink/do what I want and do it at my own pace and if anything ever goes wrong the only person to blame is me.

There are friends here that know if they need help I’ll be there too.
The sign of a true friendship is that one is just as happy to see the other whether they've been away a day or a year.

Have you ever noticed a crowd of gloomy people at a bus top and then one sees a friend across the street and they wave. Their face lights up like it was hit by a ray of sunshine.

While I’m not a religious person, the serenity prayer has served me well over time. And Ted Lasso’s father telling him to stay curious.

I ran out of things to do by myself.

<Giggles in Introvert>

If I retired tomorrow (which at 50YO isn't happening unless my wife either agreed to continue working while I became a house husband, or we made some changes to our lifestyle lol) I'd have no problem at all filling my days. There are SO many things I'd love to have the time to do that I can't even get started because there's not time to dedicate to them to see them through, or really fully enjoy them.. but the days and vacation allotments are so precious that there just never seems to be enough, despite having 6 weeks of vacation every year now, and not working weekends. As it sits now weekends are a competition between the bikes, the camper, & the backyard/pool. Full week vacations are a competition between camping, cruising, motorcycle trips, and other vacations.

First world problems, I know.

Plus, you know, introvert stuff. I can sit in my garage all day watching YouTube, or futzing with something on the bike and making a 1 hour project a 5 hour project, or siting out under the gazebo surfing, or whatever, and be totally fulfilled at the end of the day. The thought of taking off with our camper right now and going to some remote crown land hole in the wall in the middle of nowhere and staring at trees and watching the wildlife for a few weeks is stuff that fulfils me. I'd love to get back into riding horses again. Model aircraft. Boating. Travelling for more than a handful of days at a time through the summer with the camper or motorycle . The list goes on and on. SOOOO many things that just realistically need so much time to dedicate towards them that it feels like I just can't DO them because of that lack of time to dedicate.

Back
Top Bottom