Emotional and mental health aspects of aging | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Emotional and mental health aspects of aging

What is her physical and mental condition like?

Lots of people suffer later in life because they lose some mobility or become mentally fatigued which can present serious day to day challenges. It's great she still has that zest and can make peace with her age, maybe she is lucky and not impacted or has someway to keep positive. Or she eats real bacon. 🤷‍♂️
She leads a very active lifestyle, but so do several other older ladies that I know of

I always thought that one of the perks of getting older was that you could be a crabby old bastard and it’s socially acceptable.

I suspect it just means fewer visitors

This is a feature not a bug.
its not really a virtue tbh, solitary confinement is used as punishment in prisons around the world

Most people just figure it out too late

There's no secret here BP. Just keep living.
Turned 62 this week. Last weekend I was hang off a vintage sidecar at GrandBend. There was a gentleman there in his early 80's killing it on the track with his vintage sports car. A buddy whose about to turn 70 regularly kicks my @ss when we're dirtbiking. I could go on but you get the picture.

One of the other sides of aging and mental health is understanding when you hit your best before date . Putting others mental health at risk because you can still do Xxx at 80 ( in your head) and trying to stay in charge of something when clearly , you no longer think clearly is also a transfer of guilt and worry for your young .
My Mom just turned 90 and still drives , I stay working so I’m not “available “ to drive her to all her F’n appointments. Selfish you say? She could buy a life time of cab rides if she dumped the car and insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

One of the other sides of aging and mental health is understanding when you hit your best before date . Putting others mental health at risk because you can still do Xxx at 80 ( in your head) and trying to stay in charge of something when clearly , you no longer think clearly is also a transfer of guilt and worry for your young .
My Mom just turned 90 and still drives , I stay working so I’m not “available “ to drive her to all her F’n appointments. Selfish you say? She could buy a life time of cab rides if she dumped the car and insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Agreed. This is what I'm starting to see with my dad in particular. Mom's always been self sufficient and very critical so it's nothing new.

However with dad...I'm seeing less patience with others (except the grandkids), and in particular the most with himself as he's finally seeing that he can't do everything on his own as he was able to. He gets more tired, is getting worse at driving, and his strength/endurance is coming down at 70 years old.

But heaven forbid telling him that, so I help when I can (i.e.: move a 1200lb lathe) but for the most part let him figure it out.

It's actually very saddening seeing the change in how he's 'shrinking' (along with mom) as the years continue pushing through.

Agreed. This is what I'm starting to see with my dad in particular. Mom's always been self sufficient and very critical so it's nothing new.

However with dad...I'm seeing less patience with others (except the grandkids), and in particular the most with himself as he's finally seeing that he can't do everything on his own as he was able to. He gets more tired, is getting worse at driving, and his strength/endurance is coming down at 70 years old.

But heaven forbid telling him that, so I help when I can (i.e.: move a 1200lb lathe) but for the most part let him figure it out.

It's actually very saddening seeing the change in how he's 'shrinking' (along with mom) as the years continue pushing through.
I started to notice my parents started aging fast once they hit 75. Till then, they were slowly losing strength, but memory and cognitive abilities were good, and they could golf, drive, travel, and do the things at the house they had always done.

By 80 there were considerable declines in strength, stamina, short-term memory, and executive function. Driving was out for Dad, and it's only in town for Mom now. Sis and I had to take over managing their affairs and making sure they got to scheduled events, and stayed regular with meds and diet.

To me, one of the hardest things to do is lead the target. At some point you will no longer be able to handle the 3000 square foot multi story house on the half acre lot, along with the water access cottage.

If you wait too long and are forced by your situation to make a sudden move you may not like where they park your butt. If you move too early you miss the enjoyment of your life achievements.

The transition can be hard. To early a move IMO stunts your mental and physical stamina. To late and the shock factor hits hard.

The ideal is the now rare multi-generational farm where granddad slowly steps back from the duties as younger generations slowly take on responsibilities, blending wisdom and energy.

Have any of you explored use of TRT?
Some of the older men who remain in great shape with good muscle mass claim to be using it.

Im wondering if its something I should look into as well eventually as I'll be hitting my 40's in a few years.

How does one not become bitter and jaded as they get old? And not lose that zest for life? Keep that inner child alive?
Not sure about the first question, and even less about the second.

For the third though, rediscovering old hobbies has bing a big one for me. As I grow older and learn to understand myself better, I find that a lot of hobbies I had a hard time with as a kid, are easier now. Whether it's the patience, the skill, or just having a disposable income, revesiting some old hobbies has been a blast. It's been hard sticking with it, life and work get in the way, but when I'm elbow deep in a project, I become the proverbial pig in :poop:.

Maybe GTAM isnt the right place to seek answers for such questions...
But maybe it could/should be, I've gotten a lot of support on here. Still, it's no secret that male dominated communities (see: motorcycling) are not the most open to discussing mental health and topics such as this. I've personally had enough of that. I've lost or almost lost enough friends to not think otherwise. Rarely is anyone a one-man-army (except, see: Aimo Koivunen), and we're not all die stamped the same.

I feel like getting old is as much (if not more) about the mental/emotional outlook and perspective of the individual as it is about the physical...
I feel like your statement here pretty well answers the first two questions. Outlook and perpective are big, but you've got to broaden both by taking in the world around you; talk to people. I feel like a lot of folks get stuck in their own head and it becomes a feedback loop. If you feel :poop:ty, you'll just progressively feel more ******. So... see you at the next burger night?

If you wait too long and are forced by your situation to make a sudden move you may not like where they park your butt. If you move too early you miss the enjoyment of your life achievements.

The transition can be hard. To early a move IMO stunts your mental and physical stamina. To late and the shock factor hits hard.

My dad in a nutshell. He tried early retirement because of health issues, worked well for the first couple of months. Over time, his hobbies became boring, and he didn't really have a long term retirment plan, not sure what to do with himself. Mostly, he just sat at home, micromanaging my mother...

He's back at work now, and very much happier (so is my mother).

My dad in a nutshell. He tried early retirement because of health issues, worked well for the first couple of months. Over time, his hobbies became boring, and he didn't really have a long term retirment plan, not sure what to do with himself. Mostly, he just sat at home, micromanaging my mother...

He's back at work now, and very much happier (so is my mother).
There’s my dad also. 70, still working because he doesn’t want to sit at home withering away.

Apparently with his work he can start his pension AND continue working for a salary.

His TTC pension is quite good so with no real debts….he wants to crank up his bank account to the end.

But maybe it could/should be, I've gotten a lot of support on here. Still, it's no secret that male dominated communities (see: motorcycling) are not the most open to discussing mental health and topics such as this. I've personally had enough of that. I've lost or almost lost enough friends to not think otherwise. Rarely is anyone a one-man-army

Alone, man wouldn’t have made it out of the serengeti

Speaking of mental health and getting older...anyone see that dude that had the asian symbols for his handle? He seemed on edge a few times...hope he's alright.

Speaking of mental health and getting older...anyone see that dude that had the asian symbols for his handle? He seemed on edge a few times...hope he's alright.
Not sure, maybe he got banned or a slap on the wrist and is not coming back.
@Wingboy had some stern words for him.

There’s my dad also. 70, still working because he doesn’t want to sit at home withering away.

Apparently with his work he can start his pension AND continue working for a salary.

His TTC pension is quite good so with no real debts….he wants to crank up his bank account to the end.
My investment guy said I should move into a condo. I asked him where I would put my machinery and welding equipment.

Years ago a condo bound friend of my mother showed me the three clocks he was making for his children. They were made of Popsicle sticks not hand carved mahogany.

Back
Top Bottom