Brake Light Modulators | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Brake Light Modulators

I hope to get them soonish. If they are anything like the ones in the rear of that protege...they are pretty bright...and the strobe-ing catches your eyes.

I'll find out...also...if anyone is at Kennedy Commons tonight then swing by and maybe you can see them in person. Chapters parking Lot. Look for a bunch of Protege's and a Grand Am with a CF hood.

If that's the case.. I have a suspicion that this "upgrade" will be significantly less bright than stock.

I dare to share :) your suspicion. Unless they have at least a good 3W Luxeon LED they are probably a "downgrade" compared to stock incandescent.

I have a very broad experience with LED's and Aftermarket bulbs for vehicles. I have red LED towers in the rear of my Grand am. I have Ghost Bulbs in my front turn signals...and I have regular bulbs everywhere else.

My rear LED's can be hard to see in the bright day time...as can my Chrome Dipped Front Ghost Bulbs. But the strobe bulbs are regular Light bulbs with no fancy coating that plug with into your OEM socket and strobe briefly. I cannot imagine how they would be dimmer than a regular bulb.

But like I said. Tonight at Kennedy Commons or Tomorrow at Tim Hortons Eglinton & Dixie...stop by. Ask for Matt/slowbird. I'll steer you towards the bulb guys.

Last edited:
But the strobe bulbs are regular Light bulbs with no fancy coating that plug with into your OEM socket and strobe briefly. I cannot imagine how they would be dimmer than a regular bulb.

Sorry, My misunderstanding... I thought they were LED bulbs you were talking about.

Generally speaking, I don't think a rapid strobing incandescent bulbs is of any use. It's not really noticable since it fades on and off rather than full on/full off instantanously. Just my opinion, but I think any brake light modulation is far better when used with LED's vs incandescents.

This is only speculation, seeing them in person is the only way to judge.

Hey guys,

Im Slowbird's Brother. We use to do group buys here, a while back.

We have LED bulbs with a 3watt forward facing LED and 10 more around the outside, they are very good, brighter than stock and provide a decent difference in intensity when the brakes are applied.

The strobe modulators are awesome. I have them on my car, strobe for half a second or so then go solid each time the brake is applied. They are legal, Merc and Volvo are both working on their own versions for future cars.

And yes, they are pretty much useless on normal bulbs, you need the fast on/off of LEDs for them to work properly.

LEDs bulns have come a long way over the past couple years, way better than they use to be.

The modulators are $6 each and can be spliced into multiple bulbs. It gets wired in series to the brake bulb(s). The box itself is weatherproof, just need to make sure your wiring is.

I can't find any video clips.

Hey guys,

Im Slowbird's Brother. We use to do group buys here, a while back.

We have LED bulbs with a 3watt forward facing LED and 10 more around the outside, they are very good, brighter than stock and provide a decent difference in intensity when the brakes are applied.

The strobe modulators are awesome. I have them on my car, strobe for half a second or so then go solid each time the brake is applied. They are legal, Merc and Volvo are both working on their own versions for future cars.

And yes, they are pretty much useless on normal bulbs, you need the fast on/off of LEDs for them to work properly.

LEDs bulns have come a long way over the past couple years, way better than they use to be.

The modulators are $6 each and can be spliced into multiple bulbs. It gets wired in series to the brake bulb(s). The box itself is weatherproof, just need to make sure your wiring is.

I can't find any video clips.

Cool. And thanks for the detailed clarification..

$6.00
Hook me up.

Where can I get my hands on one!

We have 2 bikes, both have hyperlites, rear brake lights set to flash 5 seconds then hold steady. They are in addition to the existing brake light which isn't great on our Suzukis. Thanks for the information from the HTA Vlad. I thought they were not technically legal, but it's an interesting point about the red lights flashing as turn signals in many cars.

We're happy with them. They are rather d*inky (star added to stop it turning into an emoticon!), definitely a diy type add on, and you can't see them well from the side. However when you are behind they catch attention really well and that's what we wanted. I did notice that cars stop a bit further back after we installed them. I rarely get anyone stopped right behind me nowadays. I will be putting some version of them on every bike I own.

I've been followed by a few police cars and not been pulled over; I imagine it's something they could go after if they're annoyed with you about something else. But I will be covering them for my M2 test!

ps dyno, love your avatar!

Last edited:
I bought the Kisan "tailblazer" brake light modulator for my Ninja 650. Had it installed right after buying the bike. It is an excellent product. You just replace the stock bulb with the modulator and the bulb that comes with it. Very easy set up.

I was told by many other riders that the brake lights were very visible and noticeable when used.

I think they are a great product and worth the $80.00 or so that they cost.

There's a good write-up on the Webbikeworld website about brake and turnsignal LED. In general most are not as bright as the original bulbs.

I have the brakelight kit in my GIVI topcase, and I also added a kit that I picked up at Adventure Motostuff (amotostuff.com). The kit added two round LED clusters that got stuck overtop of my rear turnsignals, inside the housing. Now my turnsignals are amber turnsignals, red running lights, and red brakelights!

If anyone wants to talk to Myk or I about these flashing lights just come to the meet tonight. Starts at 8:30pm-9ish. At the Tim Hortons/Wendys/Staples Parking lot On Dixie Just one light North of Eglinton.

I'll be there tonight with my Bike...hope to get some lights worked out.

...and he's not kidding about the LED's coming a long way. He showed me some new LED's that people were installing in their cars and they are MUCH brighter than usual.

I bought the Kisan "tailblazer" brake light modulator for my Ninja 650. Had it installed right after buying the bike.

This looks very interesting. I like the fact that they use affordable, available and replaceable 20W halogen bulbs. They must be very bright compared to stock, I just don't know how the dual filament emulation works. Unfortunately, I can't justify $110 for a pair after I spent almost $70 on 3W Luxeon LEDs :(. Anyone want to buy bright 1157 replacement LEDs?

This looks very interesting. I like the fact that they use affordable, available and replaceable 20W halogen bulbs. They must be very bright compared to stock, I just don't know how the dual filament emulation works. Unfortunately, I can't justify $110 for a pair after I spent almost $70 on 3W Luxeon LEDs :(. Anyone want to buy bright 1157 replacement LEDs?

How much brighter is a 20 watt halogen bi-pin bulb compared with a 27 watt stock incandescent 1157? I'd have to see those side by side.

BULB ..................POWER CONSUMPTION ...................LIGHT OUTPUT ...............LIFE
.......................... Voltage Amps Watts ....................Candela Lumen.............. Hours
#1157 High Element 12.8 ......2.10 ...26.8 .............................32 ..402......................1200
Low Element ............14.0 ....0.59 ...8.3 ................................3 38...................... 5000

How much brighter is a 20 watt halogen bi-pin bulb compared with a 27 watt stock incandescent 1157? I'd have to see those side by side.

Seeing them side by side is easy. Just connect them in parallel to a 12V battery, battery charger, or one of those Ikea 50W halogen lamp power supplies :)

Seeing them side by side is easy. Just connect them in parallel to a 12V battery, battery charger, or one of those Ikea 50W halogen lamp power supplies :)

I mean in the housing/ reflector, since the reflector is designed to work with the exact filiment position of the 1157.
Just guessing, but the Bi-pin 20 watt seems like it would be only as bright as stock 27 watt 1157, not brighter! (but I havn't seen any pics anywhere)

I like the Luxeon LEDs that you have Vlad!.

I mean in the housing/ reflector, since the reflector is designed to work with the exact filiment position of the 1157.
Just guessing, but the Bi-pin 20 watt seems like it would be only as bright as stock 27 watt 1157, not brighter! (but I havn't seen any pics anywhere)

I like the Luxeon LEDs that you have Vlad!.

I hear you. The output of brake lights is not so critical with respect to the filament position, though. If they are in the same ballpark it should be fine, and judging by the pictures they should be. I guess a comparison with some pictures and Lux-meter readings is in order, but I have neither all the bulbs required nor the Lux-meter :(. Maybe if I decide to splurge on the TailBlazers, in which case my LEDs will be for sale for a competitive price.

My uncle has installed a modulator in his VFR and I've spent hours and hours and miles and miles following him and my other uncle, who has a 'busa and no modulator

and I can say my own experience following their ***** for 10,000 miles across this great province and into the US that the VFR with the modulator is considerably more visible when braking, and as a result it is much easier to gauge his rate of deceleration since the modulation corresponds to the rate of braking.

Two thumbs up fo sho.

I use the Back Off brake light modulator on my concours. It works great! The wiring is very simple. I just splices in line and it only takes a total of 15 min. tops to install.

I saw this unit and it sounds just the job and pretty cheap:

http://www.signaldynamics.com/products/BLSM/blsm.asp

Best thing to do is to just as aware of what is all around you, not just in front.

I've been riding for over 30 years and only ever had one accident (I was stationary at a set of lights!!) Wish I had had this gadget then!

That blows.

I got something for that... I installed a 139 decibel air horn. It goes BBBBBUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (in english that translates to WAKE UP AND LOOK AT MEEEE!)

Back
Top Bottom