Brake Light Modulators | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Brake Light Modulators

For those electronically minded here are instructions on building your own.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/flashing3.html

Has anyone seen a brake light flasher that also encompasses a speed (de-acceleromater) that flashes the brakes faster based on how quick you slow down?

P.S. I've seen one setup that was battery powered and built-in leds but prefer to find one that uses the stock taillights.

so can I put the 5 Watt Luxeon 1156/1157 bulb on my 2004 GSXR? I ask because the luxeon look like they are very big, and on my tail lights all the LEDs are close together, so im wondering if it'll work

Not in your TAIL light, which is already an LED design and is not designed for standard 1157 (incandescent dual-element) bulbs. The 3 watt Luxeon 1157 replacement will fit anywhere an 1157 incandescent bulb fits (but won't NECESSARILY give a lighting distribution that will work with your reflector and lens - although it works with mine).

Your turn indicators probably use 1156 bulbs, and for that, the 5 watt 1156 replacement will fit. (Note: On the SuperbrightLEDs website, you should also order a flasher that will work with LED bulbs, and if your bike uses a single indicator on the instrument panel for left and right, you MIGHT - but not guaranteed! - need to do a circuit modification which is explained there.)

I have a GIVI topcase and added the lighting kit to it along with a modulator for it. Thus when I brake, the brake light on my scooter stay light whilst the topcase lighting flashes continuously. I have to say that I feel much safer when I'm braking or stopped at a light.

I have a GIVI topcase and added the lighting kit to it along with a modulator for it. Thus when I brake, the brake light on my scooter stay light whilst the topcase lighting flashes continuously. I have to say that I feel much safer when I'm braking or stopped at a light.

I have a Givi rack and cases and have long considered adding the extra brake light and turn signals but they are freakin' expensive :(. I guess I'll have to rig something up myself. The problem is that I want to be able to take the top case off every once in a while and haven't figured out how to set up a proper connection...

hey vlad, i have a klr650 with side cases and a top box all wired with big bright LED's. no modulating on them - which is something that would surely increase visibility... i remove my boxes occasionally and if you like to take a peek at them... by all means... just send me a pm

on a side note.. does anyone have info on the legality of having brake lights that flash..

hey vlad, i have a klr650 with side cases and a top box all wired with big bright LED's. no modulating on them - which is something that would surely increase visibility... i remove my boxes occasionally and if you like to take a peek at them... by all means... just send me a pm

on a side note.. does anyone have info on the legality of having brake lights that flash..

Thanks for the offer Shane, PM left. As for the legality, here is what HTA says:

Intermittent red light restricted
(14) Subject to subsections (14.1) and (15), no person shall use a lamp, other than the vehicular hazard warning signal lamps commonly known as four way flashers, that produces intermittent flashes of red light. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (14); 2007, c. 13, s. 17 (1).

It seems pretty clear, but if taken literally this would make all cars with red turn signals illegal and we all know there's plenty of those, even unmodified.

In reality, I don't think anyone will write me a ticket for flashing brake light unless it's a strobe like high frequency flashing. Anyone can tell a properly modulated brake light from an emergency vehicle red flashers.

I have a Givi rack and cases and have long considered adding the extra brake light and turn signals but they are freakin' expensive :(. I guess I'll have to rig something up myself. The problem is that I want to be able to take the top case off every once in a while and haven't figured out how to set up a proper connection...

Vlad,

Princess Auto had these on sale for around $20 a few weeks ago
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/riderlight/

I picked up one to attach to a top case when I get one. You may want to give them a call and see if they still have them.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5978

picked this up at the beginning of the season and installed it, it works perfect, and I am sure anyone who has been out riding with me will tell u that it would grab ur attention to the point where it becomes annoying after a while, but that is the whole idea of it.

everytime the brake is engaged it blinks the light 4 times

worth the 20 dollars with free shipping.

Nas

Vlad,

Princess Auto had these on sale for around $20 a few weeks ago

I picked up one to attach to a top case when I get one. You may want to give them a call and see if they still have them.

That's an excellent solution, especially if it uses standard and/or easily available batteries. Thanks for the pointer, I'll look them up ASAP.

BTW, since you have it you should know what type of batteries it uses?

Last edited:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5978

worth the 20 dollars with free shipping.

There are other deals to be had at DealExtreme.com and they all come with free shipping. I'll never understand how can something that costs less than $2 - and sometime weighs more than 50 grams - be shipped free from Hong Kong while I have to pay ridiculous charges just to get something from across the border? Go figure...

Great site! thanks.

oh no problem, me and my brother soo much stuff from that site it is nuts, every week it is like x-mas :) and if u ever have any trouble, they have really good customer service, normally they just issue a refund and tell u to keep the item.

Nas

oh no problem, me and my brother soo much stuff from that site it is nuts, every week it is like x-mas :) and if u ever have any trouble, they have really good customer service, normally they just issue a refund and tell u to keep the item.

Nas

Just have to thank you again for this <dealextreme.com>. I just got my first shipment and it's like you said. I bought a Radio Controlled aircraft simulator (also includes helicopter simulator) including software and controller for $22!!! Plus other junk of course.

Just have to thank you again for this <dealextreme.com>. I just got my first shipment and it's like you said. I bought a Radio Controlled aircraft simulator (also includes helicopter simulator) including software and controller for $22!!! Plus other junk of course.

be careful, it can get addicting after a while :) these last two weeks we got about 7 packages.

Nas

be careful, it can get addicting after a while :) these last two weeks we got about 7 packages.

Nas

Too late. I'm gone. I did get the brake light modulator for about $24 including shipping.

RiderLight Helmet Wireless LED Brake Light

I just bought the RiderLight Helmet Wireless LED Brake Light in Princess Auto for $20. Got two - one for the helmet, the other for the Givi top case.

As far as I could examine it in an hour the device looks pretty well made and it is exactly like one reviewed here:

It uses 4 common 3V button cells (CR-2032) that are relatively easy to replace, but I'd like those battery compartment covers to lock positively instead of just cover the holes. That requirement, to tell the truth, would be hard to meet due to the flexibility of the material. The entire light strip, including LED lenses, is made of soft plastic that is easy to form to the curvature of a helmet. Looks pretty durable though, and it should last a long time. I'm not sure how long and well that 3M double sticky will hold, but I will screw it on if I have to (spare me the helmet "structural integrity" story, I don't care).

Markham Princess Auto had about 10 when I was there today, so I suggest you call ahead to confirm they still have them. Also, make sure you check before you buy - some of them have weak/dead batteries.

http://princessauto.com/PAcountry.cfm?CTRY=CAN&INF=home

Thanks Dyno for the hint!

Re: RiderLight Helmet Wireless LED Brake Light

I just bought the RiderLight Helmet Wireless LED Brake Light in Princess Auto for $20. Got two - one for the helmet, the other for the Givi top case.........

Thanks Dyno for the hint!

Thanks Vlad and Dyno. I now plan to do this. Let me know if problems.

After a couple of days since I stuck it on a flat, clean and shiny part of my Givi case, it doesn't look like the 3M adhesive double-sticky is going to hold. It detaches by itself, even without any gravity pull (the opposite, actually).

Fortunately clever people before me invented zip-ties, velcro straps and even screws to hold things like this in place :). Sure, I can use good double-sticky and forget about it, but what's going to happen when I need to remove it for cleaning or battery change? Here's what I plan on doing:

The one attached to the Givi case will get duct tape or some single side rubber tape and it will be held in place by zip ties.

I haven't figured out what to do with the helmet one yet. It's most probably going to be with a better (but not too strong) double-sticky and a small screw at each end (I know, I know, "structural integrity", bla, bla, bla... :tongue8:).

It's said somewhere in the reviews, but it doesn't hurt to repeat that the vertical angle/position on the helmet is quite important for LED visibility since the light is focused/directional. I will solicit some help from the SO as soon as it gets warmer :).

Back
Top Bottom