Brake Light Modulators | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Brake Light Modulators

Vlad, is there room to place the light inside the case where the Givi light kit would go instead of mounting it on the outside? Would it be bright enough to be effective through the red plastic of the case?

Hi Vlad:

If you still have your Princess Auto receipt there's a 7 digit part no. (SKU) that would be useful. I think it was a special buy as nobody seems to know what I am talking about when I call. Also it's not online. thks../J

Vlad, is there room to place the light inside the case where the Givi light kit would go instead of mounting it on the outside? Would it be bright enough to be effective through the red plastic of the case?

Very interesting idea. There is probably enough room inside the Givi case handle for the entire thing minus the cover that contains the lenses. I suppose it should be bright enough to properly light up the plastic lens on the Givi, depending on how far/close LEDs are positioned to it, but that needs to be determined by experiment. The only problem I can see is that we'd need to figure out where to put and/or how to access those two switches (on/off and hazard). Definitely worth looking into, I'll report if I find a solution.

Last edited:
Hi Vlad:

If you still have your Princess Auto receipt there's a 7 digit part no. (SKU) that would be useful. I think it was a special buy as nobody seems to know what I am talking about when I call. Also it's not online. thks../J

The receipt says "Light helmet 3rd brake" SKU# B 8190571

It would be interesting to go on a night group ride with a bunch of people that all have these. They would all get triggered by any transmitter, i.e. all light up at the same time :).

Hi Guys and Gals,
Looks like the company that marketed the Rider Light that is/was available at Princess Auto went out of Business in Nov of 2007. It was a special buy and once they are gone there gone.

I managed to find a supply online

http://www.motorcyclestuffs.com/servlet/the-6/Wireless-3rd-Brake-Light,/Detail

Cheers

They probably went under because they were asking US$50 a piece. It is a worthy idea and a very useful device, but not for that kind of money, IMO. If those LEDs were Luxeon and the mounting system a little more reliable...

Anyway, catch them while you can, the price is now right. Just be aware that some may come with dead batteries (4 x CR2032 will set you back a few more bucks).

Damn, now I'm sorry I didn't buy one more just for experimenting. Look what you did to me :).

Found the 3M exterior mounting tape in Canadian Tire:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/p...4443296930&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

It looks and feels exactly the same as the tape originally on the lights, but not nearly as stale/weak. It's not wide enough to cover the entire width of the light, but will cover battery holes completely. So far, it looks like it will hold very well (zip ties and screws will be kept close by just in case).

Is there anything in our HTA that prohibits me from mounting this to the back of my motorcycle?

Don't know about HTA, but I doubt you would get a ticket for wearing one on your helmet or jacket. Those cops on horses wear them, after all :).

And you are right, it will greatly improve your visibility at night.

Is there anything in our HTA that prohibits me from mounting this to the back of my motorcycle?

yes

Intermittent red light restricted

(14) Subject to subsection (15), no person shall use a lamp, other than the vehicular hazard warning signal lamps commonly known as four way flashers, that produces intermittent flashes of red light. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (14).

Don't know about HTA, but I doubt you would get a ticket for wearing one on your helmet or jacket. Those cops on horses wear them, after all

But YOU'RE not a cop.. so no

On my helmet, rather than using LED's, I used just a sticker " Black 3m Scotchlite reflective tape".

it's quite cheap. - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLAC...004QQitemZ140217661294QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

And the results.. (I cut out a Suzuki "S")..

In the daytime, it's virtually invisible, when light hits it, it's really bright silver!
Here's pics without, and with the flash!

image003er0.jpg
image004rg9.jpg

image005pm8.jpg
image006zq6.jpg

It reflects the light back to the source of the light, even at significant angles. So as long as the car behind me has headlights on, then it makes me pretty visible. If he doesn't have headlights, well, that's a different problem all together.

On my helmet, rather than using LED's, I used just a sticker " Black 3m Scotchlite reflective tape".

it's quite cheap. - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLAC...004QQitemZ140217661294QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I have that same tape on my helmet and elsewhere on my bike. It does a great job, although the reflection is not as bright as that off of a white or red tape. It doesn't do anything for your brake light or when not illuminated by other vehicle's headlights. BTW, I bought mine in Canadian Tire. Maybe not as cheap, but no bidding or shipping :).

Last edited:

And the results.. (I cut out a Suzuki "S")..

In the daytime, it's virtually invisible, when light hits it, it's really bright silver!
Here's pics without, and with the flash!

image003er0.jpg
image004rg9.jpg

image005pm8.jpg
image006zq6.jpg

It reflects the light back to the source of the light, even at significant angles. So as long as the car behind me has headlights on, then it makes me pretty visible. If he doesn't have headlights, well, that's a different problem all together.
Heres mine without the flash and with the flash

Last edited:
If anyone is interested theres a GTA local company that sells bulbs and LEDs. CDNAUTOWORKS.

I'm sure I heard them say they have sold LED's and bulbs to members of the board. They also sell the Bulbs that will strobe briefly before coming on steady. Mike of CDNAUTOWORKS has them installed as brake bulbs on his Protege. Hasn't been pulled over. I even heard that Mercedes will be coming out with a system that strobes when braking hard.

Good thing about dealing with them is they are local and if you have any issues you know where to find them. They have supplied LED's and bulbs to many car/Bike clubs.

Anyways...they usually meet up at Kennedy Commons on Wednesdays and a Tim Hortons at Englinton & Dixie on Thursdays.

If anyone wants to meet up with them and talk bulbs/LED's or has any questions just PM me.

Thanks for the offer Shane, PM left. As for the legality, here is what HTA says:

Intermittent red light restricted
(14) Subject to subsections (14.1) and (15), no person shall use a lamp, other than the vehicular hazard warning signal lamps commonly known as four way flashers, that produces intermittent flashes of red light. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (14); 2007, c. 13, s. 17 (1).

It seems pretty clear, but if taken literally this would make all cars with red turn signals illegal and we all know there's plenty of those, even unmodified.

In reality, I don't think anyone will write me a ticket for flashing brake light unless it's a strobe like high frequency flashing. Anyone can tell a properly modulated brake light from an emergency vehicle red flashers.

i thought taxi's downtown have intermittent flashing brake lights...

I'm most likely going to get these flashing rear brakes. They only strobe for a quick bit....and I'd rather get pulled over and fight a ticket and sit infront of a judge telling him I did it for my saftey yadda yadda then get rear-ended by Johnny Distracted.

I'm most likely going to get these flashing rear brakes. They only strobe for a quick bit....and I'd rather get pulled over and fight a ticket and sit infront of a judge telling him I did it for my saftey yadda yadda then get rear-ended by Johnny Distracted.

What's the cost associated with this modulator?
Any pics of the unit itself (or dimmensions?)
Waterproof/weatherproof?
Sample video?

I am fairly certain that the one I am talking about...through CDNAUTOWORKS is just a bulb. A replacment bulb that will strobe briefly when you first apply the brakes then stay lit.

I am fairly certain that the one I am talking about...through CDNAUTOWORKS is just a bulb. A replacment bulb that will strobe briefly when you first apply the brakes then stay lit.

If that's the case.. I have a suspicion that this "upgrade" will be significantly less bright than stock.

If you get them, please share some pics / feedback on them

Back
Top Bottom