Brake Light Modulators | GTAMotorcycle.com

Brake Light Modulators

sinbin

Hello all,
after hearing all these horror stories about bikes getting rear ended I was intrigued to learn about modulators that make the brake light flash a few times and then hold steady upon application of brakes.

-So I'm wondering if anyone has this and what your experiences/recommendations are. How difficult is the wiring?
-Also, does this work wtih those spinner LEDs?

Thanks all.

-So I'm wondering if anyone has this and what your experiences/recommendations are. How difficult is the wiring?
-Also, does this work wtih those spinner LEDs?

I have a brake light modulator, but haven't installed it yet. As opposed to headlight modulator, I think it's better to invest in brighter lights for the brake. I strongly advise against those spinner, turning, running, annoying brake lights. they are nothing but useless bling and a distraction that adds nothing to one's safety.

LEDs are a good idea, but most cheap ones and quite a few more expensive ones are not bright enough and/or do not offer enough brightness difference between running/braking. 3W Luxeon units are a minimum. See my comparison here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/vladpic/LEDBrakeLight?authkey=hP5Xmgnyg8s

Great question. I too would like to get emergency-vehicle kind of visibility at the touch of a button. Now I push-on my four ways if I'm worried about being seen, even for a few seconds.

there's lots on eBay e.g.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=250197520402&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

But I don't think a flashing red light anywhere on a motor vehicle is legal.

Flashing amber lights are OK though.

I'm sure you can get higher wattage replacement bulbs from your dealer but wonder if we can do even better online e.g. by going to PIAA (www.piaa.com) directly. So I want a much brighter tail light and brake light. I also want a much brighter turn signal/four way. I also want the turn signals/four ways to flash much faster, ideally strobe-like.

Any ideas on any of this are appreciated. Thanks Sinbin for starting this thread.

But I don't think a flashing red light anywhere on a motor vehicle is legal.

Flashing amber lights are OK though.

I don't think flashing red brake light is illegal - you can achieve the same effect manually anyway.

Your amber sentence got me thinking, though. Flashing back turn signals while brake is applied might be a good idea, but it has some drawbacks, like people thinking you have a problem and trying to drive around you. Steadily lit back turn signals are better IMO. Both are relatively easy to implement using relays and diodes.

Another visibility improvement to consider are the so called "horny lights". All turn signals light up by the horn switch, so people get visual as well as audio warning. Also simple to wire up.

I just put in a 3w Luxeon LED 1157 replacement in one of my bikes, and I'm impressed by how bright it is, AND at least in this case, it works properly with the stock red lens and reflector (it lights up the whole lens, not just a point in the middle).

Forget the cheap LED's made with clusters of smaller LED's, I've yet to see any that are bright enough. I have some of those on my trailer, and they're marginal (and there's not enough brightness difference between "tail" and "brake").

So no spinners :) Thanks Vlad.
Will the Luxeon LEDs mentioned work in the stock housings? My bike is a 92.

BrianP- you mentioned wiring a third light with the LEDs mentioned? Is it a separate circuit entirely or can you do some manner of splicing at the stock wiring?
I am considering the third light for the modulator, technically that won't break any laws either and will add brightness.
Any opinions?

Vlad-would love to know how the modulator gets wired whenever you get around to it.
Also you mentioned the headlight modulator? Is that legal?

Your amber sentence got me thinking, though. Flashing back turn signals while brake is applied might be a good idea, but it has some drawbacks, like people thinking you have a problem ............

Very true. The best application for using the 4-ways is if you roll-off the throttle on the highway and want to wake up the driver behind you. A few seconds of 4-ways gets more attention than tapping the brakes - when you wouldn't otherwise use them.

The scariest application is when approaching an intersection with some guy possibly about to make a left turn in front of you. Flashing the 4 ways might make him think you're about to stop, or you're signalling him thru or ... but I've done it anyway to make sure he sees me.

Now if my 4 ways lit up in some freaky-strobey way there wouldn't be a misunderstanding.

Good LED bulb replacements are not that cheap, but have the light output comparable to 21W 1157:

http://superbrightleds.com/specs/115x-xLX3.htm

Those pictures in your garage and this link are very helpful.

But are you saying that the LED replacements are not brighter than the stock bulbs?

I got a quote from dealer for replacing my 23W/12V stock bulbs with 27W bulbs at around $25/pair. I'm guessing this would give me just a little bit more than stock light output.

I'm hoping to get a lot more somehow, e.g. with LEDs.

So no spinners :) Thanks Vlad.
Will the Luxeon LEDs mentioned work in the stock housings? My bike is a 92.

Vlad-would love to know how the modulator gets wired whenever you get around to it.
Also you mentioned the headlight modulator? Is that legal?

Any 1157 LED will fit 1157 socket (dual filament bulb). Same goes for 1156 (single filament bulb). There are two other considerations though, size and angle. Many "cluster" LEDs are bigger than standard incandescent bulb and may not fit in some light housings. Almost all LEDs are directional to some degree, i.e. will work properly only if faced the right way. My turn signals, for instance, have sockets that are facing to the side, so I'd have to buy an LED replacement that's at 90 degree angle. The Luxeon 3W 1157 LEDs I have are almost the same size as stock incandescent bulbs and I think they'll fit in any housing with sockets facing the same way as the light beam (practically all brake lights.

One other important thing when buying any LEDs: get the ones in the same color as the light you are using it for - red for red, amber for amber.

It's not easy to explain how to wire the modulator, but it's simple enough to do. There are different types and all come with instructions and connectors. You won't have any problem with the wiring if you know how to cut/strip a wire.

Proper headlight modulators are perfectly legal in the US and Canada, don't know about other countries. There is a section in HTA that explains the restrictions.

While we are on the subject of safety and visibility, anyone have experience with wheel rim reflectors?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Reflective-Wheel...ryZ35593QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These last ones look good, especially black. I'm pretty sure they would add to the side visibility at night. I'm not sure I'd bother to go through the pain of installing them and then worrying if they are going to fall off, peel, get scratched, etc. Again, black takes care of that somewhat. Colored ones are too ugly IMO, unless bling is what you are looking for.

Those pictures in your garage and this link are very helpful.

But are you saying that the LED replacements are not brighter than the stock bulbs?

I got a quote from dealer for replacing my 23W/12V stock bulbs with 27W bulbs at around $25/pair. I'm guessing this would give me just a little bit more than stock light output.

I'm hoping to get a lot more somehow, e.g. with LEDs.

I haven't seen a LED replacement bulb that's brighter than stock incandescent yet, but I suspect the 5W models that appeared recently might be. 27W bulbs for $25/pair are a bit expensive for what you are going to gain, IMO, unless they are much longer lasting than standard items.

There are few things you'll definitely get with good LEDs:

1. Longevity and durability. LEDs last much longer than incandescent and are way more resistant to mechanical impact/vibration.

2. Power consumption. LEDs use much less power than incandescent, roughly about ten times less. This does not amount to significant savings though since running lights are low wattage anyway and brakes/signals are used only intermittently. I'd like to see a headlight LED replacement, now that would be significant.

I'll see if I can get around to do a photo comparison between incandescent and 3W LEDs when I get a chance, but I can't promise anything - it's cold down there :).

These last ones look good, especially black. I'm pretty sure they would add to the side visibility at night. I'm not sure I'd bother to go through the pain of installing them and then worrying if they are going to fall off, peel, get scratched, etc. Again, black takes care of that somewhat. Colored ones are too ugly IMO, unless bling is what you are looking for.

My main concern is that they come off and get tangled in e.g. the chain and then they kill me.

I haven't seen a LED replacement bulb that's brighter than stock incandescent yet,....................I'd like to see a headlight LED replacement, now that would be significant.

Very helpful. Looks like no point switching anything yet, unless as you say the 5W LEDs are lots better.

thanks.

Very helpful. Looks like no point switching anything yet, unless as you say the 5W LEDs are lots better.

thanks.

5W should theoretically output 66.6% more light than 3W. Practical output can be quite different and I learned not to trust manufacturer's claims long time ago, so we'll see if/when I get my hands on one.

As you said, no point switching unless you are replacing incandescents frequently due to vibration. LEDs were a must for my Bandit, even if I wasn't such an LED fan :).

so can I put the 5 Watt Luxeon 1156/1157 bulb on my 2004 GSXR? I ask because the luxeon look like they are very big, and on my tail lights all the LEDs are close together, so im wondering if it'll work

Back
Top Bottom