Bluetooth, where to start! | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bluetooth, where to start!

It's all so individual. I have IEMs and can ride forever with them in. My wife has small ear canals and has been having a tough time finding a solution for long riding days. She's gone the custom route, smaller IEM tips, etc. Even the pink foamies start to irritate her ears after a few hours. Do they sell smaller foamies?
does she need comms or just ear protection?

I have those loop earplugs and still haven’t even tried them on.

I recently bought some blue extra soft foam earplugs to try out from Amazon which are the Hearos brand. I bought a 50 pack if anyone wants to try some out. They are nice and soft but actually hurt my ears quicker than the cheapo orange foam ones I’ve been using for years. Another brand which is supposed to be really good is the Mack’s, which are also sold on Amazon and I want to try those out next.

I do plan to buy some custom fitted ones from the bike show this coming winter.

I go into a lot of factories with a variety of different earplug styles in dispensers usually near the doors, or by the shipper/receiver offices. Whenever I need a new supply I'll just ask the shipper if they mind if I grab a handful and the answer is always "Sure, take as many as you want"...so I've got tons of them.

Now that I ride with the Shure SE215 in-ear headphones with the earplug-style tips however, I don't really use actual earplugs much anymore except when I'm working in the garage, sawing or whatever.

Perhaps off topic, but...
I used to listen to music while riding with wired ear buds and a phone.
The phone was paired to bluetooth controller mounted to my clutch res.
Phone safely in a pocket I could control the volume, skip back and forth, pause using the controller/remote.
Worked great 👍
Now I have a newer phone and I can't get that goddamn bt remote to connect easily. When it does connect it won't stay connected.
'Any ideas?

Last edited:
Perhaps off topic, but...
I used to listen to music while riding with wired ear buds and a phone.
The phone was paired to bluetooth controller mounted to my clutch res.
Phone safety in a pocket could control the volume, skip back and forth, pause using the controller/remote.
Worked great 👍
Now I have a newer phone and I can't get that goddamn bt remote to connect easily. When it does connect it won't stay connected.
'Any ideas?
Try a different bt remote? Some phones/devices don't play well together. Alternatively, bt earphones with the cable between and remote on the cable. Not as convenient as clutch mount but you can get to it at the back of your neck. Option 3 is some fancy headphones that listen to voice commands.

If I wanted to listen to voice commands I'd stay home with the wife ! ;-)

Yes, I think I'll try a newer bt remote. I'm thinking perhaps there's a conflict between the "versions" of bt...
My wired headphones (Shure se215) have an inline controller that I’m pretty sure allows me to play, pause, and go forward to the next track, as well as control volume.

It might also allow me to reverse to the start of current track or go to the previous track, but I’m not sure how to do that.

If I wanted to listen to voice commands I'd stay home with the wife ! ;-)

Yes, I think I'll try a newer bt remote. I'm thinking perhaps there's a conflict between the "versions" of bt...
Unpair device and try reconnecting.

Oh man, this story totally reminded me of the motorcyclist who got arrested for wearing a helmet in a store. He didn't hear the store manager asking him to remove the helmet because he was wearing earphones underneath and the cops were called.
I've worn my helmet into stores. It's too much of a pain for me to take off my gloves, take off my helmet, take off my ear plugs, etc. and then have to reverse all of the above possibly a few minutes later. While I'm sure the above interaction is the exception and not the rule, it would give me pause.

It sucks when someone wants to strike up a conversation at the gas station. Sometimes they think I'm ignoring them when I just can't hear them; when they do get my attention I have to go through all the ungearing/gearing.

Last time this happened while I was filling up, I was too busy being polite that my normal routine got bogeyed and I forgot to lock the filler cap. Dropped my bike in deep sand at a dirt bike trailhead and the freshly filled tank started pouring gas everywhere.

I do plan to buy some custom fitted ones from the bike show this coming winter.

I had a pair of custom fitted ones made recently and have so far been underwhelmed. They attenuate noise much less than my regular foams, and seem to introduce a weird low frequency booming noise as well.

I had a pair of custom fitted ones made recently and have so far been underwhelmed. They attenuate noise much less than my regular foams, and seem to introduce a weird low frequency booming noise as well.
That sounds like they aren't sealing properly. Did you watch the process from start to finish? Maybe plugs got switched and you got someone else's (or maybe the mold got pinched or ...)

I've worn my helmet into stores. It's too much of a pain for me to take off my gloves, take off my helmet, take off my ear plugs, etc. and then have to reverse all of the above possibly a few minutes later. While I'm sure the above interaction is the exception and not the rule, it would give me pause.

It sucks when someone wants to strike up a conversation at the gas station. Sometimes they think I'm ignoring them when I just can't hear them; when they do get my attention I have to go through all the ungearing/gearing.

Last time this happened while I was filling up, I was too busy being polite that my normal routine got bogeyed and I forgot to lock the filler cap. Dropped my bike in deep sand at a dirt bike trailhead and the freshly filled tank started pouring gas everywhere.

Fork. I'm at that age that any break in routine means I'll most certainly be forgetting something.

Just today while gearing up outside, I forgot my gloves in the house. Ran inside to get them. Left my phone on top the recycle bin because that was the exact moment I remembered about my gloves.

Didn't realize it till half-way down the street my headphones chimed in, "Phone disconnected".

#$%#%$

U-turn, grabbed the phone. Stopped and took a long moment to ask myself, "Hey dumba$$, did you forget anything else? Testicles, Spectacles, Wallet, Watch..."

Swear I'd forget my head sometimes if it wasn't screwed onto my neck.

Fork. I'm at that age that any break in routine means I'll most certainly be forgetting something.

Just today while gearing up outside, I forgot my gloves in the house. Ran inside to get them. Left my phone on top the recycle bin because that was the exact moment I remembered about my gloves.

Didn't realize it till half-way down the street my headphones chimed in, "Phone disconnected".

#$%#%$

U-turn, grabbed the phone. Stopped and took a long moment to ask myself, "Hey dumba$$, did you forget anything else? Testicles, Spectacles, Wallet, Watch..."

Swear I'd forget my head sometimes if it wasn't screwed onto my neck.
I'm with you here. If I had a dollar for every time I rode off with my key sticking out of the seat lock.... With the size and weight of key plus fob, I'm surprised it hasn't just plain fell out... yet. Keyless ignition is a blessing and a curse.

*Every* time I go for a ride... there's something I forgot inside. Keys? Gloves? GPS? Earplugs? Wallet? My wife laughs at me as I keep going back and forth into the house.

Back
Top Bottom