Bluetooth, where to start! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bluetooth, where to start!

For those using phones as mounted GPS, that kills the camera on many newer phones. Something related to optical image stabilization and vibration. An old phone is a cheaper sacrifice. Hotspot running on phone somewhere more amenable so your primary phone camera survives.
Correct, i've been the victim of a phone camera gone bad from bike vibrations. Some brands like Peak Design and Quad Lock have a vibration dampener system that can minimize the risks.

I would skip the cheap Chinese intercoms. Around six years ago I purchased two, one for my wife and other for me and they lasted less than one year.

On the other hand in would suggest the entry level Cardo or Senna. I have the freecom 2 (second cheapest model), and it works flawlessly when connecting my phone for Google maps/waze directions, and listening to music or podcast.

The battery last for a while, i think I have had 8+ hour riding days and still had some juice left

Edit: I must add that I ride with earplugs 95% of the time (except for when going to the grocery store within the city), and the volume is more than enough.
Interesting, so you can block out the wind noise no problem and still be able to hear your music etc? Even even on the highway?

Interesting, so you can block out the wind noise no problem and still be able to hear your music etc? Even even on the highway?
I wear the foam earplugs and can hear the music really well with the JBL 45mm speakers. It’s never going to be as high fidelity as the in-ear monitors, but then again, my ears no longer hurt on long rides, so it’s worth it.

I wear the foam earplugs and can hear the music really well with the JBL 45mm speakers. It’s never going to be as high fidelity as the in-ear monitors, but then again, my ears no longer hurt on long rides, so it’s worth it.
And in rain etc does the connection from your phone break or…?

For those using phones as mounted GPS, that kills the camera on many newer phones. Something related to optical image stabilization and vibration. An old phone is a cheaper sacrifice. Hotspot running on phone somewhere more amenable so your primary phone camera survives.
I thought that was an iPhone only 'feature'. I've been android only for years and have never had an issue. My $#!+ will probably break tomorrow because of this though. Damn you GreyGhost!

Exactly what Shane mentions in his comment. However, I don't have the upgraded JBL speakers, but I can still hear the music clear and loud enough. Even I can have conversations with my wife while traveling below 100kph, above that speed, the mic picks up too much wind noise unless you shout at it.

And in rain etc does the connection from your phone break or…?

Rain does not affect the connection. When it rains, I simply disconnect the phone from the charger and turn off the screen because water makes the touch sensors act funny. The music and voice directions keep playing through the speakers.

Exactly what Shane mentions in his comment. However, I don't have the upgraded JBL speakers, but I can still hear the music clear and loud enough. Even I can have conversations with my wife while traveling below 100kph, above that speed, the mic picks up too much wind noise unless you shout at it.

Rain does not affect the connection. When it rains, I simply disconnect the phone from the charger and turn off the screen because water makes the touch sensors act funny. The music and voice directions keep playing through the speakers.
Agreed.
For my phone, it lives in my jacket pocket. So it’s always dry but quickly accessible. I use a dedicated GPS so I don’t need to see my phone when riding (and don’t want to).

The 45mm JBL speakers are pretty nice.

A phone is capable of substituting for a gps, but the biggest drawback is that incoming data will interrupt the route at just the wrong time and force you to pull over and fix it. Unless distracted driving is ok by you.
Two wheels (or 3) full attention.

A phone is capable of substituting for a gps, but the biggest drawback is that incoming data will interrupt the route at just the wrong time and force you to pull over and fix it. Unless distracted driving is ok by you.
you can usually download offline maps if needed, but yeah sometimes reception is a PITA.

incoming data will interrupt the route at just the wrong time and force you to pull over and fix it
news to me ....once a route is in the phone there would be no need for "incoming data"...and it would download in the background anyways.

Still unconvinced spending hundreds on a dedicated GPS when you have it in your phone anyways is good use of funds.
The camera focus thing is real and likely not a good idea to put an expensive phone on the bars...mine voice navigates fine from my pocket.
Lots of used phones - this would be fine and no need to buy a plan to use a phone as gps.

c7b31fa4-b06e-4372-88fc-59b9dd4e26ed

Used Apple iPhone 6S with 128GB of storage. The phone is unlocked.In 9/10 good condition. Has a brand new glass screen protector installed. See photos.Comes with a phone case and cable for charging. No box or any other accessories. Phone was used for many years. Had the battery changed last year. Battery health is at 98%. Device is in perfect working condition! Has a fingerprint scanner and headphone jack! Perfect low budget device with lots of storage! Device has been updated to iOS 15.

ASKING: $100.00 FIRM!!
If you want visual nav with a phone ...the bright screen and gps eats battery so either needs a usb socket or a power pack.
Earlier phones were not waterproof but there were cases.

Phones give you music, books, picture taking and internet from wifi sites plus your GPS nav all for $100 or so. :giggle:

Last edited:
I you mean pop-up notifications that cover your map/directions, you can adjust (at least on an iPhone) your "Focus" settings. There's a default "Driving" focus that disables certain notifications and replies to any incoming messages that you're driving and will reply when you stop. It can all be customized to allow/disallow certain people or apps, and can be set to start up manually or automatically when it senses your speed or when connected to Bluetooth. Thanks for reminding me - I need to set mine up.

I you mean pop-up notifications that cover your map/directions, you can adjust (at least on an iPhone) your "Focus" settings. There's a default "Driving" focus that disables certain notifications and replies to any incoming messages that you're driving and will reply when you stop. It can all be customized to allow/disallow certain people or apps, and can be set to start up manually or automatically when it senses your speed or when connected to Bluetooth. Thanks for reminding me - I need to set mine up.
Yes. I'm Android.A Garmin XT is still the best choice imho. It has so many features that make it better than an old phone. The main reason people use an old phone is money.

news to me ....once a route is in the phone there would be no need for "incoming data"...and it would download in the background anyways.

Still unconvinced spending hundreds on a dedicated GPS when you have it in your phone anyways is good use of funds.
The camera focus thing is real and likely not a good idea to put an expensive phone on the bars...mine voice navigates fine from my pocket.
Lots of used phones - this would be fine and no need to buy a plan to use a phone as gps.

c7b31fa4-b06e-4372-88fc-59b9dd4e26ed

If you want visual nav with a phone ...the bright screen and gps eats battery so either needs a usb socket or a power pack.
Earlier phones were not waterproof but there were cases.

Phones give you music, books, picture taking and internet from wifi sites plus you GPS nav all for $100 or so. :giggle:

I've owned a couple of GPS's (not motorcycle-specific, though), and didn't like the slow touch interface or the way it worked compared to Google Maps on my iPhone. For me, it's an added expense that's less functional than what I already have.

There are supposedly phone mounts that have shock absorption, but I never bothered since I didn't like the style and also never had a problem, but I only do maybe 15,000 km's a year max, so I guess not enough to affect me.

Placed an order for freecom 2X, lets see how they sound

Bought a Cardo Insyde comm for my agv modular. Now i need a unit for B's full face Arai. Looks like lots of options for single Cardo units. Any recommendations?

As far as I know the Cardo Freecom x2 is the cheapest device in Cardo's lineup that gives intercom between two devices. This is the model that I have.

After having a Chinese knockoff, both my wife and I love our Cardo's. With one button we can open/close the intercom channel. So we can either be talking between both of us and if at some point we are tired of it, we can switch to listing our own music/podcasts/audio books. The battery last more than 8 hours

I have the Pactalk Bold which might be a bit more than you need for simple rider to passenger comm’s, but I do really like the speaker sound quality and overall volume and the battery easily lasts 8 hours.

I wear these all the time riding. Good battery life - easily fit under the helmet and cheap.
Screen Shot 2024-10-09 at Oct, 9    2024    10.50.40 AM.jpg
Just change to foam tips to get a proper seal and block ambient noise.
Screen Shot 2024-10-09 at Oct, 9    2024    10.53.19 AM.jpg

Back
Top Bottom