Bicycles... I want one... Suggestions/Recommendations? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bicycles... I want one... Suggestions/Recommendations?

For the light-duty riding you describe that GF would certainly be up for it.

Light-duty is different for everyone..I've seen 130lb guys destroy $2k bikes with their plodding, leaden riding style. I weigh 190lbs, and rarely destroy stuff. Some people are just hard on equipment. That GF is up to XC racing in Ontario I would think without too much trouble.

I personally don't think that I'll be a hardcore cyclist.
More of a hobby/exercise so I don't need top of the line equipment.
I just want something capable and of good quality.

I've contacted the seller through kijiji and here are some pics...

The bike in the pictures is sold, but the ad stated that the seller was selling 2 and they are both identical.
Year, options, size, etc... are all the same.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking bike and really well maintained or barely used. Thinking the 19" frame should be good for you but I would go to a good bike shop first and ask the staff with helping you figure out what frame is good for you and how to properly set up the seat for you. Then when you go and check out the above bike you will know if it's right for you.

PS I have a spare bike that I'd give you for $200 if you want.

It seems as though you like the bike. I say go for it! That's definitely not a bad price.

The bicycle show is coming up too, Mar 2nd-4th at the Better Living Center (I'm going fo sho). I bet there will be some good deals on pedals, shoes, helmets, apparel, racks, bottle cages, camelbacks, tool kits, gloves, cameras, etc, etc etc. ;)

Thanks Raf. for the heads up... Pedal performance is not far from where I live so I might just pop in and ask.

The seller's price is firm at 500$ I offered $450 if they don't accept it, I'll probably still get it. lol
Caboose, I plan on riding squid stylez... lol
Might actually go to the show and pick up a thing or two, thanks for the advice.

No prob Mina. If you go to the show, grab some decent riding shorts, they have some cool mountain biking ones so you don't have to show off your junk. They make a world of difference with the seeming in the right place so you don't get chaffing. Your *** is going to hurt no matter what seat you have on your bike at first too, you just get used to it after a few rides:)

Late to the thread... I think that's a great first bike. Everything on it should be good for some off-road use. More expensive bikes would have better forks, but the spec and components should be fine for getting into the sport.

Also, if you're buying a first bike used, it's good to get one in good condition. There's a lot of specialty tools needed for bike maintenance - definitely no worse than motorcycles, but there's still an art to it. It's nice to spend time riding rather than wrenching.

Good luck man! The bike show is lots of fun as well, but would suggest going early or on Friday - it's super busy.

^ Thanks again bro, the more feedback the better especially because this is all new to me and the more I learn the better I'll feel. Thanks everyone for your input, I'll post up again when I get the bike!

Last edited:
Hijack: The Tour of Oman is on Sportsnet 1!!! WTF!??! Canadian TV NEVER shows cycling!!!

Shorts are a good idea for sure!

The padding does come in handy. Your *** will thank you. I prefer to buy stuff I can use for road riding and mountain biking so I stick with the cycling bibs (think unitard) with a jersey. There's lots of options for mountain biking that are bit more.. uhh.. socially acceptable? I went to the gym yesterday but forgot to bring my normal workout shirt/shorts so I had to wear my cycling stuff for weights prior to spin. Awesome! If you find that you are getting some chaffing you can use chamois butter, bodyglide or vaseline. Just smear some on the chamois (*** pad) before you put em on and go riding. Vaseline works well and its cheap!

I'm going fo sho

Seems everyone's going this year. Rumour has it even the elusive Death From Above from over at Dropmachine.com has rescinded his bike show boycott and will be attending the show this year.

Seems everyone's going this year. Rumour has it even the elusive Death From Above from over at Dropmachine.com has rescinded his bike show boycott and will be attending the show this year.

I can't figure out if I'm going..have my eye on a Kona Honky Tonk..geometry looks good for me. Don't know any faces in the booths there anymore though..hate paying too..meh..

Go full spandex man. Modesty is for the weak!

Good luck with the purchase. I might do the bike show this year... we'll see. I'm spending money fixing up my backup bike so my fiancee can do some riding this year.

I can't figure out if I'm going..have my eye on a Kona Honky Tonk..geometry looks good for me. Don't know any faces in the booths there anymore though..hate paying too..meh..

I'd go with a used Jake myself, but I can stop in Waterdown on my way home from work Tuesday and see what they can do for you.

I'd go with a used Jake myself, but I can stop in Waterdown on my way home from work Tuesday and see what they can do for you.

Thanks FMJ. Let me know what they have..might go down and browse myself.. I like the Jake..not a bad package of goods..and good geometry for me.

To the OP... if you were able to 'seal the deal' on the bike, congrats!

Before getting into riding, here's a few things I'd suggest:

• Helmet (duh);
  • Gloves (I like full-fingered);
  • Biking Shorts (they're nice);
  • Either a small, thin backpack (maybe a camelback?) or seat pack/pouch;
  • A few tools (I bring everything except the chain lube along on off-road rides):
    • Small mini pump;
    • Spare tube that fits your bike;
    • Patch kit, for REAL emergencies (just 'cause you blew one tube on a ride, doesn't mean you can't blow another!);
    • Tire levers;
    • 4, 5 and 6mm allen keys;
    • A chain breaker would be nice, although chain problem is rarer on a ride;
    • A bottle of chain lube for at home.
  • Even though I have a camelbak, I still have bottle cages on my bike. It's nice not riding with a backpack. Would get two, and two matching bottles.

Budget a few bucks for this stuff. MEC is a good place to go. If you really find yourself liking the sport, you may also want to look at clipless shoes and pedals.

Good luck!

Let me know what they have.

You know you want it.

P1010931.JPG

Question...
What's with the incredibly high seats?
I tried my buddy's Raleigh the other day and the seat was so high, but I find this a common thing.
What's the purpose?

Back
Top Bottom