Bicycles... I want one... Suggestions/Recommendations? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bicycles... I want one... Suggestions/Recommendations?

but old school BMX stuff is insane.

funny thing is I was just looking up info on my old BMX.. I have a 86 or 87 Redline RL20 II in the basement from back in the days.. rode it for like a summer then bought my enduro and didn't touch it since.. apparently its a very sought after bike.. but don't think its crazy money..

funny thing is I was just looking up info on my old BMX.. I have a 86 or 87 Redline RL20 II in the basement from back in the days.. rode it for like a summer then bought my enduro and didn't touch it since.. apparently its a very sought after bike.. but don't think its crazy money..

It's like everything else. Old doesn't necessarily equal collectible. Redline, nice. Now if you had have said Champion, or Torker, or a Gary Turner welded GT, i'd have said I'll be right over. I like DX pedals. They can be had for $40-50 used, $120ish NOS. A pair of Cook Brothers pedals (which I never fancied) that looked like they had been dragged behind someonse's car from the church at their wedding goes for nearly $2K. It's
market driven, mostly by boomers wanting the boutique stuff they saw in the mags when they were kids.

Last edited:
Back in the day I used to race BMX all over North America, I'd be on the road all summer. At one point I've ridden Torker, JMC, Patterson Racing, ELF, PK Ripper,CW, CycleCraft....I kept my favourite bikes (along with the original Kemper snowboard) for years and when the future wife moved in I gave them to the kids on my street.
I actually think the JMC and Hutch "Judge" along with some parts are in the attic space of my parents garage...I may end up on the next episode of Antique Roadshow or Canadian Pickers. haha. That'd be so rad!!!

I should probably contact the seller, but do you have any idea on what the specs are?
Is a 19" frame a good size for someone who is 6 ft 200 lbs?
The make is Gary fisher but what's the model of this particular bike?

If your main reason, as you stated on page 1, of buying the bicycle is to lose weight and get in shape. Here's my suggestion:

#1. If you smoke, quit smoking.
#2. Don't spend anything, just start running.

To expand on #2, log your run times. Set a route, consider the route a "lap" and count the total amount of KMs per week. Your objective is to get that number higher as time goes on. Eventually it will become boring as hell and you can just start focusing on speed.

As you start doing this, you will start to develop what is known as a "runners body" which makes you look like an anorexic school girl. To counter this, use the same mentality, get a gym membership, and start level 2 of your training.

I only know of 4 ppl, including myself, that have had the self control and willpower to do the above over the course of 7 years. The result, however, is going from a fat 200 pound 5'6 kid to a ripped 160 pound 5'6 man that club chicks want to feel up. No amount of $$$ you spend will compensate for hard work: as with any other goal in life.

油井緋色;1730738 said:

Sounds like fun.

Nah, just kidding.

[video=vimeo;32888907]http://vimeo.com/32888907[/video]

油井緋色;1730738 said:
If your main reason, as you stated on page 1, of buying the bicycle is to lose weight and get in shape. Here's my suggestion:

#1. If you smoke, quit smoking.

To expand on #2, log your run times. Set a route, consider the route a "lap" and count the total amount of KMs per week. Your objective is to get that number higher as time goes on. Eventually it will become boring as hell and you can just start focusing on speed.

As you start doing this, you will start to develop what is known as a "runners body" which makes you look like an anorexic school girl. To counter this, use the same mentality, get a gym membership, and start level 2 of your training.

I only know of 4 ppl, including myself, that have had the self control and willpower to do the above over the course of 7 years. The result, however, is going from a fat 200 pound 5'6 kid to a ripped 160 pound 5'6 man that club chicks want to feel up. No amount of $$$ you spend will compensate for hard work: as with any other goal in life.

I spend over $300/yr on running shoes. And that's with my exercise heavily weighted towards cycling. Last year was 1200km on my road bike, about 600km on my mountain bike and 3500km in spin classes (that's an estimate). If i were to replace all my riding with running I'd probably be going through 5-6 pairs of running shoes a year. There's also a good chance I'd be developing lower body issues.

At the moment I have no knee, hib, ankle or feet issues. I run with very soft footfalls but a lot of people can't do that. Cycling and zero-impact sports are a lot better for a lot of people than running. A lot of people struggle with running and can't do it very long.

Not to mention running is boring. The odd time my music has died for whatever reason it's all I can do not to run out into traffic.

Last edited:
I believe it's a 2010 Marlin Disc...
I've read a few reviews and it seems to be a good entry level mtb.
Seriously considering this one, any opinions on this particualr make/model?

Thanks!

At that price point the bikes are all the same for the most part. The pic is terrible, but it looks like it's had fairly light use and is well looked after. It could probably be had new for $750ish on a last model year blowout. Offer him $450 and see what he says.

or

The Toronto Bicycle show is coming up in a few weeks. There's lots of deals on old stcok, Especially towards the end of the day on Sunday.

I believe it's a 2010 Marlin Disc...
I've read a few reviews and it seems to be a good entry level mtb.
Seriously considering this one, any opinions on this particualr make/model?

Thanks!

That's a pretty ok bike. Not a bad price and it would probably serve you quite well.

Personally I would go with something a bit more high-end but 2-3 years old, in good shape, for about the same $.

It would be wise on any used MTB to have the rear hub overhauled and checked for wear. It's probably the most worn item on an MTB. Also the bottom bracket although they're fairly cheap and you can just toss it if it's worn out and put a new one in. Most of the other stuff is fairly safe.

That's a pretty ok bike. Not a bad price and it would probably serve you quite well.

Personally I would go with something a bit more high-end but 2-3 years old, in good shape, for about the same $.

Dude... This is becoming more complicated every day. lol
There is always something better, I just want this over with but at the same time I want to make sure I'm getting something decent...
I'll see what the seller is saying in terms of the price.

There is always something better, I just want this over with but at the same time I want to make sure I'm getting something decent...

Rest easy. If you get that for $400-$450, you've done well. Don't lose sleep over it. :)

Different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't say that I am hard on my equipment but I do demand a lot from it.

For the light-duty riding you describe that GF would certainly be up for it. If in a few years you feel you require something a bit more HD you can likely sell it for near what you paid for it then get something different. I bought my Jekyll for $600. I'll maintain it, and ride it for a few years, and so long as i don't destroy it I'll still be able to sell it for not much less than what I paid.

I spend over $300/yr on running shoes. And that's with my exercise heavily weighted towards cycling. Last year was 1200km on my road bike, about 600km on my mountain bike and 3500km in spin classes (that's an estimate). If i were to replace all my riding with running I'd probably be going through 5-6 pairs of running shoes a year. There's also a good chance I'd be developing lower body issues.

At the moment I have no knee, hib, ankle or feet issues. I run with very soft footfalls but a lot of people can't do that. Cycling and zero-impact sports are a lot better for a lot of people than running. A lot of people struggle with running and can't do it very long.

Not to mention running is boring. The odd time my music has died for whatever reason it's all I can do not to run out into traffic.

I've had my fair share of injuries and $$$ spent on health but when I first started, I spent nothing. I tend not to spend $$$ on things until I am 100% sure I will commit and like it. If his main reason is to get in shape....better check and see if he has the mentality of a masochistic soldier instead of a blonde prep girl who cries about broken nails.

But hey, some ppl buy stuff just for the sake of having it I guess.

油井緋色;1730919 said:

Have you considered diversifying?? One-trick ponies get dull pretty quickly..

油井緋色;1730919 said:
I've had my fair share of injuries and $$$ spent on health but when I first started, I spent nothing. I tend not to spend $$$ on things until I am 100% sure I will commit and like it. If his main reason is to get in shape....better check and see if he has the mentality of a masochistic soldier instead of a blonde prep girl who cries about broken nails.

What about offroad unicycles? Where do they fall in your grand scheme of things? Does one need the mentality of a masochistic circus clown?

Oh, and caboose......

For the light-duty riding you describe that GF would certainly be up for it.

Sexist !!!

油井緋色;1730919 said:

What?

Plantar fasciitis isn't exactly the same as a broken fingernail.

Back
Top Bottom