2024 MotoGP Discussion Thread (No Links - May Contain Spoilers | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2024 MotoGP Discussion Thread (No Links - May Contain Spoilers

The horribly named World Women's Championship Racing ((World WCR) kicked off at Misano, and the first round was nuts. Race 1 was red flagged with a Swedish rider medevac'ed out and still in hospital with severe brain trauma. But the finish was insane, with last lap passing, and a near photo finish. Just like the men, Spanish riders seem to be the ones to beat. They're racing on lightly modified R7's:

Also, as the silly season spins on, it seems Vinales is joining Bastianini at KTM, and Bezzecchi is the most likely to take the second seat with the factory Aprilia. If so, you have to say that the winners so far have been Marquez and Aprilia, kind of for the same reason. There's lots of rumours that Mir is in early talks to relive the good old days with Davide Brivio at Trackhouse, and that Rins may end up retiring with his injury more severe than originally thought. It's possible that Aprilia goes into next year with four entirely new riders, which is definitely a gamble. At least they know Martin is motivated with black hatred for Ducati!

Reactions: Ash
s-l1600.jpg

When's the last time a satellite team rider won the championship?

Of course he will have the #1 on the Ape if He wins the WC
Tbh i don't think it will happen i truly wish for him to win, but after that big mistake in Misano, FBagnaia will be leading the Wc soon.

Of course he will have the #1 on the Ape if He wins the WC
Tbh i don't think it will happen i truly wish for him to win, but after that big mistake in Misano, FBagnaia will be leading the Wc soon.

In a way I really hope he wins the championship. I've never been a fan of MM93, and Ducati really seemed to screw JM89 over with the way the contracts were signed.

This is just a personal opinion based on what I've read on several different sites, so I could very well be out in left field. All I know is that I would have a very bitter taste in my mouth if something like what happened to JM89 happened to me.

This is just a personal opinion based on what I've read on several different sites, so I could very well be out in left field. All I know is that I would have a very bitter taste in my mouth if something like what happened to JM89 happened to me.

And what is that something exactly?

I think Martin, having followed him since his Moto 3 days, has been an exceptional talent and was being mentored by Lorenzo at one point given his meteoric rise to GP... but the guy simply lacks the ability to be consistent in order to win a GP title. His only consistency was in the last string of 2nd places.

Pragmatic? Sure, damage limitation and all that, but when you make such a blatantly poor mistake in the rain and lose your lead like he did it does make you think Valencia '23 was not an outlier. It's who he is at this stag of his career, and until he address this lack of foresight he simply will always be a #2 rider who will be passed on wherever he goes--Marco won' be much a challenge in terms of talent but he is Italian on an Italian Manufacturer with no real sponsorship behind it when it was two Spanish riders.

I sincerely wish him well at Aprillia, but truthfully other than a handful of tracks where he might win or get on a podium i don't think he will do much because the bike needs much further refinement as it has such a narrow operating window where it excels enough to take on the Ducati.

Furthermore, neither Martin nor Pecco combined have the marketing prowess that Marc does, I envision that on sales alone (merchandise, tickets and motorcycles) Marc was the obvious choice for the brass at Ducati not just in talent but in overall Marketability of their product(s). And since MotoGP is essentially just a large advertisement campaign, Martin is just simply not good enough in any capacity to turn the tide in his favour even if he were to by sm emiracle to win the title this year.

Professional motorsports is an incredibly cruel mistress, filled with a great deal of injustices, but at the end of the day what really matters most is what you bring to the table that converts to actual ROI (financial or otherwise) to the sport, manufacturers, and sponsors: a Martin title will be a modest blip of the aforementioned categories at best. And with the sell to Liberty pretty much a sure thing I simply don't see that changing, if anything it will intensify even more.

Hot-take: Anyone watch that RedBull Rookies Cup documentary recently? It's kind of telling what they're forced to adapt to from such a young age with the underlying understanding of what the series really is filtering for is for riders from various under-represented nations in order to attract new untapped markets and sponsorships, rather than the actual development of new promising talent: Italian and Spanish talent is a saturated Market with fewer opprtunities for those not affilaited to the incumbents; thus, it seeks to expand into less represented markets even with the talent doesn't exist (see: John McPhee's career) in order to extract as much value as it can in the process.

Call me jaded if you must but it's Capitalism in it's most transparent self-interested image repackaged and sold as a docu-series.

Last edited:
Anti-Rossi mode activated? :unsure:
(He really needs to just move on already)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom